Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Officials doing a great job at keeping the game flowing. None of the usual nonsence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

He's very slow to blow up anything around the breakdown!

Smith again! Needs a new set of hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That might be the last time we see Smith in a Leinster jersey.

Have to agree with James Lowe on Conall Boomer - he's been excellent. Really physical, great focus on the ball in defence.

Our back three players have not covered themselves in glory today at all.

Very strange to only see Lasisi introduced at this pointless stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Smith couldn't catch a cold today, some very poor handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Smith...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Harsh that the commentator said Smith had hands like dinner plates! (maybe a bit true today)

Handbags to finish off the game that has everything!

Who get MOTM? Couldn't hear it.

• Advertisement

I think he gave it to Boomer on the Leinster side, and the Chilean starting 10 on their side (he was asked to select one from both sides).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saw someone in the YouTube chat say that Vakh is being reduced to break glass only and Clarkson being fed all possible minutes as the new undisputed 3rd choice.

As good a reason as any I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tector was motm according to Leinster's social media accounts. Would have went with Deeny or SOB III (IV?) myself.

Yeah, I heard that announced over the tannoy with about 5 mins to go. The two I mentioned above were James Lowe's selections on commentary.

Would probably agree on either Deeny or SOB IV, though I thought all of Cormac Daly, Conall Boomer, Cormac Foley, Charlie Tector and Ben Brownlee impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If a back was getting it, I would have said Foley. SOB was excellent as was Deeney. Boomer was very impressive as was Brownlee hope the injury wasn’t serious.

Apart from Hogan when he came on. Our back three’s handling was shocking on a day that was dry.

Yeah. Not actually relevant though as Laissi came on for Connolly on the other side of the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Tom Connolly a former u20 international? I recall a tight head by that name a few years ago. Smoth seems to viewed negatively, he really must have been poor. He wasn't great for the u20's either, maybe he's just not at the level required.

Boomer was released by Ulster. He's surely nowhere near good enough for Leinster? Is there a possibility that he could be signed? Same with Daly, who failed to do anything in mlr. He's just not professional standard.

Chile must be a very poor side. Rugby is really not improving worldwide. The pumas are the only reputable side in South America. Canada are awful and the Eagles not much better. The game is not picking up much in Europe either. Very disappointing.

Connolly isn't a former U20 international. He is a recent convert to prop, he played backrow for Connacht U18 a few years back.

I think he is 22/23 now. Has been in or around the set up for a few years while in college.

I'd be surprised if Boomer was signed.

The only way the AIL guys would be signed imo is if some sort of new development competition springs up and extra bodies are required in the squad. Nucifora did mention that a few options to give gametime for fringe players and younger players are being looked at in his big state of the union address about a month ago.

Options mentioned that would see a larger Leinster squad include an A URC, provincial A teams in the Currie cup. A cup competition during the international windows where development teams are to be played.

Other options mentioned that probably wouldn't require extra bodies in a Leinster squad. An emerging Ireland team made up primarily of academy players doing something like the Currie Cup. Multiple emerging Ireland tours a season (made up primarily of academy players).

I just watched this one. We did really well. That Chilean pack was enormous! I'd like to know the weight differential. Chile could use a bit more fitness and coaching, they do have some lads that could be decent.

Deeny for me was motm. Immense performance from him. Barron was really good too. He looks like he's added a couple of kilos. Milne and Clarkson went well and got much needed minutes. Andrew Smith had a day to forget. Feel awful for him. Everyone else in the backline looked good. Tector was good. He takes the ball to the line and is comfortable defending.

What do Leinster do with Hanan? He's year 3 academy with no senior caps? Sean O'Brien is a very good player. But, he's in a position that we're stacked in. I wonder if he could be converted to openside? Boomer was very impressive as was Connolly.

I can see O'Brien getting a look at from the other provinces. Why was Lasisi not on earlier? He only got 3 minutes. He's a big lad too. Brownlee looks the business already. He's a big lad too. He's one to watch and Turner was really good. He's wasted at Leinster. Maybe they can find a role for him. I'd like a look at him at 12 or even 15.

• Advertisement

Leinsterrugby.ie says Hanan has 3 caps.

That said he may get released. Milne ahead of him and Laissi behind him.

He may get a chance with a development deal as Leinster know that Healy will be retiring after the world cup but no guarantees.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

More like Boyle behind him if Lasisi is now a TH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

From watching SOB he actually reminds me a bit of a young Dan Leavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Lasisi has moved to tighthead.

Boyle is a year below Hanan.

Anyone think O'BRIEN will be poached? He is good player. Accelerates into the gainline like a rocket.

Hanan, I don't know what the craic is? I can't remember him from the u20's. He's obviously behind Milne ans E Byrne. But with Healy retiring they may need another body.

Lee Barron played very well! Another athletic hooker. Added some weight too, it appears. Hard to believe that Leinster have struck gold at hooker! The depth here is brilliant.

Deeny was superb! Big lad too. He's around 6ft 7in and close to 18 stone. I would like to see more of him this season.

Connolly was very good. Lasisi may be way down the pecking order. I know he's just switched over to tight head but, Connolly getting in ahead of him doesn't look good.

Clarkson is still developing. The more he plays the better he will be, imo. Around the park he is good, he needs to improve in the scrum. I think he will and he could be a good player.

I was happy to see Foley back. His try was brilliant! Great heads up. I've got a lot of hope for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

3 minutes to go and Georgia have a penalty from 40 metres out which will give them a 1 point lead!

Edit - Wrong thread and dont know how to delete!

Vdf!!!! Awesome. What a year he had. He's the 3rd Leinster player?, to win this? He's also one of 5 to be nominated! That's insane.

Big tilt upcoming! We need to hit the ground running. Is there any news on Harry B?

2nd Leinster player to win it. Himself and Sexton. O'Driscoll, Darcy and Heaslip were nominees.

• Advertisement

8 weeks as of October 17 so out for another while. With himself and Frawley out for the immediate future we are quiet light at Outhalf with only Sexton and Ross Byrne as senior outhalves.

Prendergast and Tector should get opportunities to step up.

Advertisement