Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Poached or steamed chicken is lovely.

Unfortunately, though, it seems to me that most Irish people baulk at any meat, in particular, that isn't fried or roast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Enchiladas…….just on the edge of v spicy.

🌪💥😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@Dave_The_Sheep how do you poach your chicken? never cooked it that way.. imagined it would be rubbery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'd like to try poaching chicken too. White wine or stock? I recently bought some white wine stock gel pots from Tesco, they might do the job. Maybe velvet the chicken in cornstarch slurry first?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I used stock. Just simmered it for a while until it hit ~74C. Could have seared it a little after, but the rest of my food was ready.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Korean wings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

How very dare you 🤣

https://youtu.be/GT5YdQiMGDs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I made lamb mince pasties for the first time. I paired them with sweet potato mash because I was feeling lazy. I will tweak the recipe next time but they were passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Had time on my hands, so I thought I'd try a roasted vegetable lasagne. It took about 3 hours all in, but it was just so utterly delicious! It's definitely a recipe I'm putting in the books for making again.

From yesterday, smoked mackerel with fried rice and broccolini. An easy win.

have you ever considered writing a veggie cook book? your food looks really good (and I am not veggie - but I think I would love a lot of your dishes)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thank you! 😀

I have, I was thinking about it to raise funds for charity at some point. But then I looked into self-publishing and the effort simply seemed daunting... And then I'm looking at my own kitchen shelf and all the cookbooks I bought and never look into any more and I was wondering if it would really only be a waste of paper.

Shenshen, it doesn't matter whether people read it or not as long as they buy it! 😉

Made 4 more pasties as I had leftover rough puff pastry from the meat filled ones.

The pastry was rolled and cut and left in the fridge, covered, for a week. It was fine to work with - not too dry or too sticky - and the patties turned out well. Hard to describe how, but the pastry came out completely differently to when it was fresh. Kinda more flakey and delicate but not necessarily in a good way - just different.

Filled with onion and chickpea mix this time..

awe ok - maybe a website or blog? (do those still exist?)

Pork (overcooked), lentils, lidl potatoes and broccolini. Tesco gherkin mustard relish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Duck breast tonight.

Few from the last week, there's a piece of fillet hiding in there somewhere! Nicest piece of steak I've had in a while. Angus finest from Tesco was just going to grab a rib eye but when I spotted how good the marbling was on this pack I had to get it.

And Tandoori chicken with butter curry sauce. Have to make do with pics of my lunch portion for work I was too hungry to remember to take ones of my dinner!

• Advertisement

Yum @Ryath! Excellent looking chips. And the greens look great! 😋

I'm getting more into eating green veg like broccoli, peas and spinach recently, for some reason! Might be the winter approaching.

Any advice for making Tandoori chicken breast on a griddle pan or grill/oven? My previous attempts have resulted in burnt spices and dry chicken :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks, just cheap lidl oven ones done in the airfyer.

Should eat more greens myself i do quite like them. The kids turn there noses up so at much veg though, a lot of meals I make are ones without much veg or I end up leaving them out.

Airfryer again for tandoori chicken! Never been able to get a proper char in the oven or pan without overcooking the chicken or all the juices running out. I normally cut the chicken into pieces to marinade but I was caught for time the night before and did the whole breasts. Just yogurt, lemon juice and tandoori spice. Airfryer does a great job but best results I've had is on skewers over charcoal.

Yoghurt, yes! I need to get an air fryer... Thanks!

I think I messed up the burger bun, but still good. With oven chips and mushy peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Went to Nandos for probably the first time in fifteen years. I'd been once before then, and thought it was bang average and overpriced.

My opinion has not changed.

I hope you enjoyed the decor, because that what you paid for, not the food.

Meh!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That looks lovely. After all the burger chat, how did you make it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Medium rare fillet steak with lovely onion gravy two nights ago, with veg on the side. Nutriquick spag bol (only €3.99 in Aldi and there are other meals too - very tasty a nutritious) yesterday. not sure why I'm actually posting in here; seems totally pointless. But here I am!

Plenty of salt and pepper lightly mixed with steak mince, chilled for 30 minutes, then a few minutes on each side on the griddle pan, along with some streaky bacon. Added a slice of Edam and some onion.

No egg or breadcrumbs! The steak mince was quite sticky to work with. No fear of it falling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Bangers & Mash with a Guinness onion gravy for all the housemates

Advertisement