Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/Routher

Options
  • 17-11-2022 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I have a modem downstairs in my house that is connected to the Internet. With virgin. I want one upstairs in my bedroom. This might b a silly question or not. Am I right an saying that if I were to by a modem in the shop, and connect it up, would I be on the Internet straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You will have to configure it in AP mode, if it has that mode or disable DHCP, firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Or if I were to buy a wifi extender, with an ethernet connection, would it act like a modem? What I am planning in my bedroom to do is connect a box with an ethernet connection to get .... I don't think I'm allowed mention whatever i want if for but I think u can guess?

You dont need another modem.

What you should understand, that device supplied by your ISP(Virgin) is All-In-One - "modem/router/switch".

You only need one modem - you do

You should not have two routers, unless you know what you're doing.

All you need to extend your network. This can be achieved by various solutions, powerline adapters one of them. There is pros/cons for every solution you consider.

Ethernet cable would be best speed-wise but require cable run if you dont have one in place - are your rooms wired with Ethernet ???. Is there phone or RJ45 socket in that particular room?

Powerline is near plug-and-play, however, most likely will limit the speed at destination location

Other potential network extension option would be WiFi Mesh

Would you be able to run Ethernet cable from router to that room? I mean in suitable aesthetic manner, inside or even outside the building.

If not, then perhaps powerline or mesh is better for you.

and no, i dont know what you mean by: "I don't think I'm allowed mention whatever i want if for but I think u can guess?", all i can think is - you need to extend your network

• Advertisement

I could run it if I bought a longer Ethernet cable but tbh it would be in the way leading it up to the room as for outside i dont think it will work. I was thinking of buying in of these in order what I'm thinking about doing. Buy DEVOLO Repeater WiFi Range Extender - AC 1200, Dual-band | Currys

OK I'll mention it. IPTV

This device is WiFi extender, not powerline adapter.

This mean it has to be installed within the good WiFi coverage from main router, then it re-transmit that signal

It might work for you, but see some reviews before commit. Dont fall for 1200Mbps number - you wont have that , not even close, ever.

https://www.techadvisor.com/article/722464/devolo-wifi-ac-repeater-plus-review.html

Advertisement