Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Schiphol mess

Options
124»

Comments

The irony is that up to about a de axe ago Schipol was the very model of a well organised busy hub. It had a great reputation going back to the days my Dad would go through it in business trips in the 60s & 70s, then I went through it the odd time in the 80s, 90s etc, and found likewise. My last experience was good too even though it involved missing a connection, which was very well handled.

My KLM flight from Lima (a good airport) departed an hour late, meaning I missed Dublin connection from Schipol. Was travelling in a group, the staff at Schipol prioritised elderly people into earlier connecting flights back to Ireland etc as there were some spare seats on other services. I and 3 others were asked to stay overnight at a very pleasant airport hotel, wined & fined & given a shopping voucher and booked onto a flight in the morning, all arranged with a smile in jig time.

Since that I have heard bad reports about the airport having gone into a state of disorganisation, unpleasantness, chaos. Obviously the airport’s movements simply exceeded its capacity to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Everything in cork seems operating as Normal. and at that... Cheaper

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Travelled through Schiphol, out and back this week. No great problems with queuing. Certainly nothing to put you off using the airport. Noticed that quite a lot of the food retailers were shut, including the (in)famous Murphy's Pub. Other food vendors seemed to be operating curtailed hours. Not sure what is going on there, as shopping was in full swing?

Business lounge (Aspire) was mobbed, absolutely no chance of getting in there on-spec, you had to make a booking well in advance.

But as long as they don't cancel your flight, Schiphol seems to be back in action.

Murphys has been shut since before the pandemic. the area was being used for Covid testing for the chinese flights which has stopped now and the airport is busy as ever so i dont know why they wont open it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

From what I've seen on various Facebook groups, it seems to be ok recently now that we're well into the off season. That said, a holiday-day seems to still cause problems far and away over what you might expect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Covid testing for Chinese passengers is still going on there, a lot of signage in that area for it. Must be why the pub is still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Blut2

Not far until the Christmas season in December now though. I'd be wary of booking flights through AMS during December personally anyway given their performance in the year to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah me too, but I did have flight booked and of course they've rescheduled them a little and I've to do a Schengen to Non Schengen connection in an hour which will be a riot. Whats worse is that according to Flightradar, it could well be the exact same plane for both flights too.

I see Privium have stopped taking new members. Privium basic was a hot seller for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

We went through Schiphol twice over the XMAS Holiday period, and I have to say it was a very positive experience, comparable to how it was before Covid.

Luggage, Immigration, Check-in etc. all worked smoothly with no delays or Issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement