Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship Barbican York, 12th - 20th November BBC, Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was looking up Allen and Murphy’s personal troubles. Snooker gossip pages!

Just to give the full picture.

Basically Allen spent money for fun went bankrupt, married really young before that. And all his finances got drained especially with divorces etc on top of his financial foolishness. Bankruptcy. Which he is very honest and open about.

As well as his weight gain/loss. It all embarrassed him. He is renting a place now lighter in pockets with less money, and four stone lighter. But in a ‘better place’ as he is fond of now saying. Not a ‘dark place’ as he said beforehand.

I get impression he is not/was not mentally right in the head. Professional Snooker is a very solitary sport, practice, your own thoughts. Away from home all the time, same hotel rooms.

It is no wonder most professional snooker players personal lives end up a mess. Very high divorce/separation rate. Depression? Alcoholism. Weight issues. More prevalent in the snooker world?

On Murphy I don’t think he is/was right in the head either. He tries to be the decent fella. But he has been traumatised by his childhood, bullied weight issues etc. Always feels he thinks he has to ‘prove a point’.

But behind it all Murphy is mentally weak IMO. Overly sensitive. Recently he had to get 80% of his stomach removed because he said he could not stop eating.

He was incapable of doing weight loss the normal way - consistent hard work - diet - fitness.

Apparently this eating was triggered by the separation with his second wife Elaine.

But the main reason he had the gastric surgery done was because he was sick of online ‘fat shaming’ As he calls it.

Now Murphy said other things in interviews which seemed to imply that he now sees himself as ‘new man’ following the gastric surgery.

This would explain the ‘snooker midlife crisis’ sparkling suit. Plus Murphy’s snooker has improved he is puffing his chest out. Look at me / the new man!

Now the funny thing is both men Allen/Murphy recently had a snooker war of words. Murphy was going on about his back and neck pain. Allen’s comment on it was ‘that could be caused by the big chip on his shoulder!’

Now the real ironic thing is not only do the two men (Allen/Murphy) share some similar personal life issues - weight issues, women issues.

Have a guess which snooker player they both were inspired by to make ‘lifestyle changes’ directly/indirectly? Ronnie O’Sullivan!

You couldn’t make it up, there are snooker soap operas going on off the table!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Can't make any sense of that ,^

Sorry not written well, basically my theory is most snooker players are not right mentally off the table. Family life suffers etc which leading to ‘personal issues’ because of the nature of the sport.

List is a long one -

Selby depressed, Murphy- Weight divorced once now separated with the next wife. Ronnie - loads of stuff.

Allen - Weight, depression, and women. Alex Higgins - alcoholism, gambling, women. Stephen Lee - weight, banned for match fixing

Jimmy White / drugs divorced, has a new young one now. Willie Thorne - gambling, divorced. Hendry divorced. Davis - divorced

Which makes some of them act odd, Ronnie obviously, and Murphy occasionally with his comments or his sparkling suit, for example.

ROS/Murphy are completely different characters - being in the snooker spotlight has affected both men personally in different ways. Off the table in particular.

And as a result how they act as a consequence can divide snooker fans. Some ‘hate’ ROS some ‘hate’ Murphy.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Has Shaun split from his wife in Dublin?

Real pity, if that was to be the case, he seemed to be happy in Dublin with his family, when they were shown during the World Final 18 months ago.

Seems like it, unfortunately. Like you, when I saw the pictures with his family and young lad. I thought he was having a great life, obviously not.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement

Henry is good on commentary the snooker knowledge never leaves you're brain

Loads of clowns on the bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Can't stand Murphy in the commentary box he never stops waffling on.

On the match Ford off to a nervous start.

Ford match is definitely not a Ding Dong battle. It looks like Ding only.

Worse still my telly was stuck on the red button missed a bit of Ding's match, batteries of remote shaky - it was the Men's trampoline award ceremony from Sofia. So if anyone wants to switch over to that if Ding's match is over early...

One back for Ford anyway

Delighted Ford won that frame, he doesnt deserve to be whitewashed

• Advertisement

As Bruce Forsyth used to say - What's on the board miss Ford? One frame anyway. Nice to see Ford not get whitewashed.

Ding messes up. I'd have got more points out of the balls like that. Big chance for Ford's 2nd frame on the comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What a cruel sport. Ford on for a 147 to make it 5-4, misses frame ball and let's Ding in to clear up

Anyway on to tonight, I hope Jack Lisowski beats Mark Allen to make the final

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say Ding will be a relived man..Ford was on a roll big time….and playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

coin-toss

Predictions

Allen win 6-4

or

Jack win 6-2

thinking is, if anyone wins easy, it's gonna be Jack 🙂

took 11/4 outright on the 'outsider of three' Lisowski ☺️

i think guru Ebdon is gettin a right tune out of t'Gloucestershire potting machine!

Henry and Virgo is probably the best commentary

Looking a little bit ominious for Mark Allen, and Ding, if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Guru is a perfect title for Ebdon. I can actually picture him living in a monastery in the mountains somewhere, burning sage, meditating and writing poetry.

Yeah, would like to see Virgo continue. Maybe ITV will nab him.

• Advertisement

😁

was thinking something similar meself wayne haha - sandals and spliffs were 'mental image' what come to mind ! 😂

Allen going okay here in frame three, early doors,, was looking worryingly like a cakewalk for the Englishman at the start;;

and Allen misses black just now 😲 signs = ominous

good match this :)

crossed the line with his 'wrong hand' did Jack - when pottin yella - when getting [effectively] frame ball right-handed

another 'positive' for Jack that, and, possibly, Ebbo's (tho who am i to second-guess t'Guru) notebook 🤣😁

hon Jack!

I can’t make my mind up whether Ebdon looks like a Don in the Audience. Or a driving tester, making notes studiously giving nothing away.

If Jack wins this tournament Ebdon should auction the notebook for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭patrickc

i really feel hendry is being so negative towards Mark tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

That was so poor from Lisowski, threw the frame away with that shot.

Allen not really playing well but managing to hand in there.

Until he shouts ‘COME ON’. Ebdon, will have that missed yellow written in capitals anyway.

Davis is some devil- Said Ebdon has gone out for a new book just for that one shot on the yellow.

how that blue stay out middle pocket?? was sure it was in !

i demand a replay 😃

I'm tappin me coffee table here !

some of Jack's shots been outta this world this evening,,

altho Mark sorta gifted him this chance - missed red weren't that difficult i thought,,

fantastic blue just now as well 🤗

hon !!

• Advertisement

Dale been very harsh on Lisowski 😒

Dale aint fit to lick his shoes 😁

Dom redeems himself there - "clever" , he said 😁

👁️‍🗨️

Advertisement