Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,436 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pirates of Barbary by Adrian Tinniswood

Although I am really interested in the pirates of the past, this book just didn't capture my attention as I would have liked. Kind of struggled through it.

Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen by Joyce Tyldesley

Quite an old book but got this out of interest in all things Ancient Egypt and was a nice light read while on holidays. It is quite fascinating, and the author dispels a number of false theories surrounding one of the most powerful and influential women in Egyptian history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭appledrop

Maggie O Farrell ' The Marriage Portrait' its so good I don't want to finish it.

If you loved Hamnet, this is another outstanding book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm reading this at the moment and struggling a little to get into it, tbh. I shall persevere, though. I haven't read any of her other stuff.

Finished The Night Ship by Jess Kidd the other day, really enjoyed that.

The Irish Civil War in Colour by Michael B. Barry & John O'Byrne

Exactly what you think it is, photos from the Irish Civil War have been colourised and accompanied with a brief description of the scene or the overall environment at the time.

• Advertisement

Murder Most Local: Historic Murders of South Cork by Peter O'Shea

Really enjoyed this actually. Quite fascinating to see how cases were investigated (or in some instances not investigated or even covered up). I think I'll have to pop down to the local bookshop to get another one of these books (he has covered all 4 corners of Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Shining by Stephen King, ramping up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are you at the Groundskeeper Willie part yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay, another classic by him. I had a few of his books on my pile for literally years and never bothered reading them for some reason but everything he puts out is an absolute masterpiece. His Chinese history analogues especially, Under Heaven and River of Stars, he's becoming my favourite author, his stuff is just on another level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally got around to reading The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke (1956), which I've been meaning to do for years. Like his Childhood's End, and Asimov's Foundation books, this is a book that has been seriously influential on other SF works e.g. the Three Body Problem series. In terms of raw ideas, it could hardly get bigger in scope than this. The plot might frustrate those used to a typical three-act structure, and the ending doesn't wrap up events neatly. No-one has seriously attempted to adapt it for a screen of any size, yet.

Where Clarke doesn't quite get it right is in characterisation, and his personal life seems to be tangled up in the characters. The main character (Alvin Guest) has a girlfriend at the start, but it's one-sided and she almost entirely vanishes from the story. Alvin instead finds a more compatible male friend on his travels, totally platonic (of course), someone who can share in the intellectual adventure. Some very old-fashioned story-telling, then but still crammed with big ideas.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Titanic Thompson: The Man Who Bet on Everything

superb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

After threatening to start the Dark Tower series for years, I’ve finally kicked off with the Gunslinger. About 3/4 through it at the moment.

Between Two Hells: The Irish Civil War by Diarmaid Ferriter

Very well researched and very interesting take on The Irish Civil War and its long term ramifications for country, in particular, politics.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed !!!!! It's a great series until King **** it up and even then it's decent enough that you can stay with it until you guess the ending from a long way off.

The Dark Tower series definitely has its flaws but it's still an utterly epic piece of storytelling that I will re-read for the rest of my life.

Finally finished The Marriage Portrait the other day. I was underwhelmed, I have to say.

I then started A Town Called Solace, which has literally been lying around the house for months (causing an earworm of The Jam for most of that time), til of course my mother chose that very same day to finally start it herself.

Currently re-reading The Colorado Kid and will have to hit the library then as most of my books are in storage and we have a family embargo on buying books for yourself from November 1st because people invariably buy themselves stuff others had planned to get them for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Finished "The Turner Diaries" by William Luther Pierce a.ka. Andrew McDonald, last week and started on "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab.

The former is an absolute edge fest of the highest regard, read it for education purposes. Know thy enemy and all that malark, but my God it's a major dribble fest. Made for the recruitment of the supremely stupid in my opinion.

I will check out "Hunter" at a later time and go back to "The Turner Diaries" just for the sake of concurrently reading the pair of them but definitely wouldn't recommend these books for the faint of heart.

Andy McNab's novel so far is brilliant. Great insight into some of the tradecraft and daily lives of Special Forces' members in the UK. He also has a very easy style of writing to follow and the dialogue between his characters is true to 1991 - Pulls no punches, very funny stuff comes out of the banter between the soldiers.

The First Day on The Somme by Martin Middlebrook

This was recommended to me by a historian which lead a WWI Battlefield tour to Flanders and The Somme during the summer. This is a fascinating and very well researched book which was first published in 1971. I was able to recall a lot of the sites that comprised of the high cost of life during The Somme offensive.

The book follows 10 British soldiers of varying ranks and units to tell their story of the attack and their fate. The author does not shy away from criticising the politicians and generals of the day, whom from a safe distance ordered thousands upon thousands of men to their death, with badly thought out battle plans. However, he does include the caveat of benefiting from hindsight.

This is a must read for anyone with an interest in WWI.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I've only recently finished the second book of The Dark Tower and found it a lot more interesting than The Gunslinger.

Looking forward to starting the 3rd book. Currently can't get hold of a copy of it in my local library.

Last few pages left of Dostoyevsky's 'Devils'..

Brilliant. of course..

• Advertisement

I just finished A Town Called Solace. Really enjoyed it. At its heart it's a study of trauma, but handled with a lovely light touch and just the right amount of humour.

No idea what I'm going to read next. Cormac McCarthy's The Orchard Keeper is the only thing left in my TBR pile but I'm not really sure I'm in the humour for Cormac...

Nazi Hunter: The Wiesenthal File by Alan Levy

Simon Wiesenthal was responsible for bringing over 1100 Nazi war criminals to justice over the decades since WWII ended. He is a survivor of multiple concentration camps which claimed the lives of over 80 relatives of his.

One of his most famous snags was the infamous Aldof Eichmann amongst others. In an era where everyone wanted to forget the events of WWII, Wiesenthal ensured that what happened was not forgotten and sought out justice for those murdered.

Alan Levy uses interviews with Wiesenthal supporters and adversaries, as well as with the main man himself to paint a picture of the Nazi hunter, his motives and challenges to his quest and reputation.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I read Going Home by by Eugene O'Brien over Christmas. It's a follow up to the tv show Pure Mule. I thought the tv show back in 05 was decent by RTE standards. It was interesting catching up with Scobie Donoghue. The first two thirds of the book were good but I thought the last third was definitely weaker.

Atlas of the Great Irish Famine edited by John Crowley, William J. Smith and Mike Murphy.

A very comprehensive overview of the Irish Famine and it's longlasting effects on both the Irish diaspora and the Irish at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The Day that Never Comes, second book in the Dublin Trilogy by Caimh McDonnell

One of those books that has you chuckling away and explaining what you are laughing at makes you sound like a true weirdo :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished ‘Alone in Berlin’ a very good read and was surprised to read it was written in 1946. The author Hans Fallada had a colourful history to say the least.

I’ll probably read ‘Fingersmith’ by Sarah Waters next the excellent, South Korean film ‘the Handmaiden’ was based on this.

I’ve also got a few discworld novels on my Kindle, Terry Pratchett is ok but I don’t find his novels laugh out loud page turners

Post edited by pavb2 on

Just started a short story collection I got for Christmas called Liberation Day. It's... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Alone in Berlin has been on my "to read list" for a while

Fingersmith is one of the few books that i gave up halfway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Read "Alone in Berlin" earlier last year, totally blew me away.

• Advertisement

An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor by Michael Smith

Great book about the truly remarkable Irishman and his achievements during the Age of Polar Exploration.

Advertisement