Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-car that's not too big in size but has good height...any recommendations?

• 18-11-2022 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

My folks are looking to buy an e-car. Currently driving vw golf. Looking for something not much bigger but that will give better height from the ground. Golf too low as they are getting older. The ID 4 is too big. Any suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Hyundai Kona, electric versions of Peugeot 2008, Opel Mokka?

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kia e soul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

BMW i3 is quite high, and seats seat well up. My In Laws actually have a bit of trouble getting in, although they are getting fairly elderly now.

Small, nippy, high and very, very easy to drive and park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What is their budget and range requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I was hoping this would be available soon. Pictures on their website show it pulling a light trailer? Is this an option?

I like the range simulator on their web. Driving style, outside temp, speed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe an ID.3? It's golf sized but the seats are a little higher up

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I think that is a good call. I have an ID.3 and you sit a lot higher than in a Golf, had a loaner Golf recently and it is very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd have to agree for about the same footprint as a golf (a little longer), in the id.3 you get a higher seated position and more boot space. (Or for the same car with a little more styling, the Cupra Born)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

ID.3. Similar size to Golf but taller, may be handy if they are already with VW. Or BMW i3. Similar easy entry/exit due to height

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Another vote for the ID.3. I have a Cupra Born which is the same car and the seats are higher than a Golf.

The height comes from the batteries under the floor so the floor is raised. That means you sit into it rather than falling into a lower seating position of a Golf. Similar to a crossover but without the weird upright seating position and crappy handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Thanks for all the replies. Given they are VW fans the ID 3 or Cupra might be suitable. I personally think the ID3 looks like the front is missing. Very short to front. I think the Hyundai Ioniq 5 is best but is it much bigger than the ID3 or Cupra.

Drove a petrol Kona last year. They didn't much like it.

The windscreen is very far forward and slanted which means the bonnet is small. The driving position is similar distance from front of car as a golf or similar. I like the space it gives..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yeah, even though their more or less the same car, the Cupra Born has a nicer front than the id3, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I rate them about the same, they're going for different looks and both do well

I think the Born interior looks a lot better though

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I prefer the exterior of the ID3 but then I always prefer understated looks. Think the Born is a bit too fussy for my liking.

Agree the interior looks better on the Born but for its price point at the time I was more than happy with my base ID3.

Thought the VW screen was a little simpler and easier to use but probably only a matter of getting used to the Born.

Both are a great package imo. Whichever you prefer.

Yeah that Born screen is a bit busy but it's easy enough to setup the home screen tiles and the shortcuts on the bottom of the screen as needed, fortunately it's easy to go back and forth between stuff. I don't think I've needed to go through any menus since I got everything setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭Patser

If you're talking Born/id3 then look at the MG4 - is almost identical in size and shape, but €10,000 cheaper and getting great reviews.

But I'd think of all these 3 as low, normal height seating

Tesla Model Y has had a big price reduction in Ireland (same price as a Model 3 now) and that's a high seated car.

Again, without any idea of budget, range requirements hard to give advice

Rough numbers, taking the height of the car minus the head room measurements the Golf seat is 47.3cm off the ground while the ID.3 is 54.4cm and the Born height is 51.6cm. It's a night and day difference any time I go between the Born and Golf.

For comparison the Model Y has a seat height of 58cm. MG don't list headroom for the MG4 but it's 4cm less height than the Born so could have a lower seating position.

Not sure about the ID.3 but the Cupra Born doesn't have the adjustable boot floor that the Golf has as standard, if they find that extra height useful they'll want to spec the Cargo Pack which also includes the 3 pin plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fafy

In this case, practicality for them, is #1, so spend an afternoon going around, and get them to sit into a few of the models mentioned.

For whats its worth i believe the BMW i3, has a higher seat position, then the ID3.

• Advertisement

I used to find my previous ID.3 was a straight in and out car if you know what I mean. ie not up or down. Very easy in and out. Similar to my wife’s Ioniq 5. Much easier than for example Golf or my present Model 3. (Not that it worries me). At least the Tesla has easy access.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

Thanks again for replying. Max budget probably 50k. So not a Tesla.

Advertisement