Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I believe over 70% of Nigerians are dependent on social welfare- CSO stats I remember from a few years ago. Absolute madness to willingly import this level of dysfunctional state dependency. One way to destroy a country in a few generations I suppose which is what they seem hellbent on doing alongside their NGO string pullers. We need an Australian style immigration system- NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Heard of a place down the country that was being used as a nursing home close down due to the costs to keep it running supposedly and the old people moved to another nursing home as a result. However, the closed down nursing home was then re-opened again 2 weeks later and busloads of Ukrainian refugees/fake refugees were brought in with the owners given a juicy contract from our government. The owners dumped the old Irish to replace them with Ukrainians refugees/fake refugees. The sneakiness going on in this country is incredible but what does one expect with the government that we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Govt admits same

"I have seen it across the country, that some providers are opting to de-register their nursing homes and to take in displaced people as another alternative" said Junior Minister for Older People, Mary Butler,

Mirror names some

• Registered Users Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just seen two videos of two double decker buses all men of various ethnic backgrounds being dropped off at what looks like a massive apartment block, could be a hotel, hard to tell.

All men, nice clothes, runners, phones, earphones etc.

Anyone seen these videos?

The woman recording it keeps asking a man who is organising the drop off if these men are vetted etc and he says ask the government as he doesn’t know.

This is absolutely **** scandalous. Turfing out our own elderly in search of big contracts.

I've been saying it for many years now, something changed in the Irish Psyche when the country hit the boom. There are many absolutely greedy pricks that walk amongst us. The only thing that matters is lining their pocket even at the expense of very vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

japprentice threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Had a look at the videos there not a single woman or child and not one of them looked Ukrainian , they seem to be just bussing in young lads from everywhere now, turning big office blocks in town into dorm style accommodation. I'm all for helping but it seems to be getting a bit out of control. No?

I remember a good while back the government said the EU would not be chipping in with funding on this (back when it was only Ukrainians) but have things changed now? Are the EU actually giving the country supports for this or is it all taxpayer funded (Genuine Question for anyone in the know)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is an un-mitigatable disaster and we need to have a good look at ourselves as to why we have done this.

Our government has done this to us to be the best boys in the class wanting to show their European colleagues how generous we are lest they have their hopes of lucrative advancement to political roles like Commissioners in Europe dented.

That's what this boils down to. Self interest by ministers.

We are taking the damage as a society for them.

It's not the fault of the refugees fleeing a war.

It's our disastrous inability to say no and put our own interests first that is leading us to social disaster.

The consequences of what is going on right now (and it's not only the Ukrainian intake, far from it) will be seen up and down this country for generations to come.

It's up to voters to wake up at the end of the day but it looks to me like it's too late.

There is no war in Albania and Georgia where 1000s are arriving from.

We can see the chaos unfolding and yet, from all the polls I have seen, it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

Maybe people are distracted by the housing crisis or whatever but this all contributes to all the other problems.

I don't get how the public sees all this, appear concerned when you talk to people, and yet collectively there seems to be no pushback.

I don't get it. What else has to happen more than what's unfolding in their own communities in front of their eyes? Tented cities instead of villages?

• Advertisement

The Cllr requested discussions with tourism agencies to establish the impact of the dramatic reduction of serviced accommodation across the county and to deliver a marketing strategy for 2023 to address this. Visitors not spending money in local businesses, etc

People will say one thing in public, but in private have other views. An example was the unexpected vote surge for SF in 2020 election, that even the party did not expect. People can see the traffic increases, the less English being spoken on streets, visible homelessness caused by the housing crisis, fuller EDs, less school places, and that they are paying for it.

Problem is that it’s not happening in front of most peoples eyes. There are small areas where there is a chronic problem, but the majority of areas are still relatively untouched. There is very little impact in my county in the west, nor in the part of Dublin where I have a flat.

As long as this is concentrated in certain counties and towns and suburbs, it’ll never get national traction. Maybe that’s the strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

In general Irish people are broken and demoralised. Remember the controversy when a Ukrainian refugee described the ‘sadness’ she noticed as a trait of Irish people.

It’s plain to see in Lisdoonvarna for example where the locals have just accepted their lot. If the government turned up at their houses, kicked them out and took the properties I wouldn’t be surprised if they accepted that and just stood outside in a daze. Obviously this is an exaggeration but getting closer to peoples mentality every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I don't disagree, but we aren't alone in these problems.

Apartment blocks full of refugees are more common in Europe. This is a EU wide problem, the current laws are outdated and not fit for purpose.

And that's not given our good old boys an easy out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Around 3 million Ukrainian refugees have entered western Europe (i.e. the countries 'not' bordering Ukraine). That would represent a huge refugee crisis at any point in the last 80 years (it's a much bigger event for Europe than the Syrian refugee crisis of 2015).

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

The Old ESB office in east wall filled up with asylum seekers last night. No Ukrainians or women and children.

Seen the video.

All lads with nice clothes and runners, certainly not fleeing a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I live extremely close to where this is all happening and theres some sort of protest going on since about 2pm. I dont think there's huge numbers but enough so that the gards are there.

I dont think anyone is blaming the refugees or even economic migrants for that matter, we all want to improve our own situations in life. But people do have security concerns about a large group of military aged men being moved into a empty building in their locality understandably, these men arent from Europe or Ukraine quite clearly so people wonder how they're going to integrate into the local community. Im sure most dont have any English, are from an extremely different culture (sometimes backwards) & are usually a different religion. So all in all, a couple of hundred men sitting around with very little to do, no way of making a proper living unless illegally, feeling isolated & like outsiders, that could become a serious issue quickly. These are valid concerns despite what some people might think & its interesting you dont see them being bussed into Castleknock or the numerous posh southern localities many of our politicians reside in.

On top of this, many of the countries these men are from have no direct flights to Ireland so why arent they stopping at the first country they arrive at if its genuine asylum seeker or refugee. The countries many of them are coming from also have no active wars going on so Im failing to see the major threat to their life.

I understand we have obligations to the EU to take in a certain amount of refugees every year but considering we have taken in 60-70k ukrainian refugees already (supposedly), are experiencing a severe housing/accommodation crisis & have a major homelessness situation, this should have been conveyed to the bureaucrats in the EU in a serious manner.

The buck stops with Leo Varadkar, Michael Martin, Simon Coveney & Helen McEntee. They are playing with fire on behalf of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Especially when a not unsubstantiatial amount of the homeless are foreign born. Its very disingenuous and ill informed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was at the parents house a few days ago,one of the more controversial direct provision centres (been mentioned in national news a few times) is 100m away.

Mother said that almost every day some of them knock at the door looking for work.The mother doesn't mind and feels sorry for them.A lot of the other elderly people in the village are more unsettled by this.This is a village of 1000 people now hosting 750 refugees. She was chatting to a lady from Botswana who called recently, mother enquired as to the nature of the war going on there.The lady explains there's no war but her husband was violent with her so naturally she flew the 9000km on 3 different flights to Ireland to seek asylum.

How long will this madness continue?

Yeah but let's be real, the party doing best at the moment among younger people would make the situation worse based on their own policies.

So change but no change then. Another left wing party, more socially left wing policies on this.

We need a proper right of center party in this country like the Tories that people can actually vote for.

Currently we just don't seem to have that option. That's where Fine Gael is suppose to be yet they are over seeing this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We need a proper right of center party in this country like the Tories

Ah, you're grand thanks.

😕

It’ll happen eventually if liberals continue to stick their head in the sand. That bastion of right wing extremism, Hilary Clinton even said as much in 2018. If liberally minded governments don’t control immigration more tightly, a right wing government eventually will. It’ll happen at different paces in different countries, but you’re utterly deluded if you believe it’s not an inevitability

No I’m not talking about the tories. I never mentioned them. I’m talking about a home grown right wing party. We will be behind other countries in that regard. But it will happen if nothing is done by the incumbent parties. And like I said……

It doesn't have to be a class based party.

It doesn't even have to be a right wing party.

Just a party that will campaign on sorting our borders and immigration policies out.

Currently we have no mainstream party touching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Even coming from yourself, that's a colossal joke. How are they in charge of their borders when thousands arrive weekly on boats? Even the BBC is reporting that up to 60,000 may have arrived this year alone. No reasonable person would consider that as being controlled, so they aren't in charge in any serious sense. You're the type of lad though that would try and convince us that Irish immigration is well controlled too, so I'm not sure why I bother asking. The only thing you were right about was appeasement, which is all they do, they talk about tackling immigration, yet never do anything in real terms, which is why Kermit's suggestion is as ridiculous as what you've said.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's funny, a lad who was up on his high horse about about posters views toward the working class immediately starts calling them knackers when he disapproves of their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Advertisement