Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qatar World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Tone deaf is exactly what I was thinking, isn’t there somebody who can whisper “no” in hisear?

I’m just surprised he stopped short of “when you think about it, aren’t we all corrupt and immoral on some level”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What I am saying is there appears to be this defense from Qatar fifa etc. The "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" defense. My point is thats its a fallacy to believe that BBC's criticism of Qatar or fifa are invalidated by the sins of the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Infantino monologue was embarrassing...deflecting corruption with racism accusations...classic FIFA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah ok - in that case, I'd argue he's of the opinion that everywhere is homophobic and relies on slave labour...? Maybe in the past, this is now.

Realistically, he's just venting. He hasn't throught about what he's saying and they're in way to deep now to turn around.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Sorry to be late to party here but there are many different levels of hypocrisy, eg will you ever support the companies who have donated millions in sponsorship to this sh1tshow put on to promote this archaic, medieval state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Chewing steak can be lethal also, feck thats our beef industry down the can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

For me the World Cup has always taken place in the European summer months, if a country cannot host it in those months and has to change the dates to November and December then it should never be in the mix to host the tournament.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What I am saying the BBC are they are so are so high up on the moral high ground hill. They don’t see their own hypocrisies.

That you have to wear a Poppy etc on the Beeb or you would be in trouble. But when I think of it the Poppy only became a political symbol because of a War between two related royal families one of whom changed their name.

And for that family the BBC have sycophantic praise for them. But that is the culture of the state. They can have theirs but no one else can, when they can shout ‘Do as I say, don’t do as I did’

The reality is the majority of the Muslim world in the Middle East don’t care about the ‘issues’ the West raises about the Qatar WC they see them as ‘Western issues and values’

And worse than that the real Western power brokers put on a show of ‘pretending to care’ that is much worse than not caring at all IMO.

The truth is for all the ‘talk and noise’ about Qatar. Money talks louder. The proof in the pudding that the WC teams are still going. Not one single team, player or manager has pulled out. The BBC will still cover the WC and it will still get billions of viewers.

When I think of it the only time I ever heard of a country taking a real stand was the USA boycott of the Moscow Olympics in 1980, And the USSR reciprocated with their boycott of the LA Olympics in 1984. But that was only because of political interests!

The way I see it is like a strict vegan holding a big do in their house. Then some of the guests are expecting to flaunt the eating of meat and fish. Despite relaxed rules where you can do so elsewhere in the house. But some want to push it. Instead respecting the culture and values of respect the Vegan homeowner.

You can think of Qatar as the Vegan modded thread. Their rules, don’t offend them or you will find yourself in trouble. Don’t flaunt meat/fish ideas in there.

Much as foreigners had to do when they used to visit Ireland on Good Friday - Pubs closed. They thought it was weird I am sure. But it was a traditional practice and belief, in a formerly strongly Catholic country. A rule Which only recently changed in 2018!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Hillmanhunter1

When I am in Germany (keep it to yourself) I drive very fast.

When I was younger, in Amsterdam, I enjoyed some special cigarettes.

I have drunk absinthe in Prague.

Fired an AR15 in the US

Gambled at the blackjack tables in Macao.

All illegal in the Emerald isle.

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's a lot in that screed, but just to take one...

The BBC don't make anyone - neither guest nor presenter- wear a poppy. The trouble starts with right-wing bozos in the privately owned outrage press and Little Englanders on social media when someone appears on TV without one.

The BBC have clear stance on the poppy, wear one or don't wear one, it's up to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There are two things here I think:

1.) the hypocrisy, for me being a hypocrite does not make one wrong, you can be a hypocrite and still be correct

2.) the idea that we must respect all cultural values, no we don't, we clearly do try to push human rights on the world for example through the UN and other organisations. We are pushing our ideology and I am happy about that. I don't think there is an equivalence with veganism or good friday drinking. Our western ideology is basically total liberalism with the exception of actions that interfere with the liberal freedoms of other humans. While you might interfere with your guests ability to eat meat or drink alcohol, these are not fundamental needs for your guests while having a safe workplace and work-housing conditions which do not damage your health or lead to your death is really a fundamental need, it's literally a life and death situation, not like eating meat or fish.

I'll note that Qatar did sign on to human rights with the exception that sharia law takes precedence and also that workers do not have the fundamental right to organize(seems a bit cynical to me). For this reason only it should have invalidated Qatar as a potential host, the blame lies with FIFA in my opinion but we can still take the opportunity to evangelize Qatar now that we are in this mess.

We can have lots of whataboutery, highlighting hypocrisy but it doesn't mean anything unless you are saying that you don't believe in universal human rights in which case you must argue why migrant workers deserve their treatment and have no right to organize or advocate for themselves and that indentured servitude to recruitment agencies is an acceptable practice from a moral perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is different rules different culture. Ironically The Kafala ‘indentured servitude’ you refer to was invented by a British diplomat. And later given a Middle Eastern twist by neighbouring countries.

The Human Rights convention is a Western Invention/foreign values to Muslims in the Middle East.

What it seems to me is likevthe auld one neighbour say did you hear about them a few doors down? Oh it’s terrible but still calling in because they like the lovely food.

I saw Joanne O’Riordan tweet it would be funny if Budweiser brought down the World Cup in Qatar, instead of Human Rights.

Do people honestly think either will stop the WC? The only one who can do that is the refs final whistle now.

In fact I think if this World Cup goes well, as the West get used to the Middle Eastern Values. I would not be surprised if Saudi Arabia succeed in their 2030 bid which has been mooted. They have a load of money and are allies to the Western countries as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,861 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This World Cup has already not gone well. There is no maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,719 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely pathetic from him.

He's obviously getting it in the ear from both sides all day, every day and thats how it should be.

The pressure of this calamitous decision to hold a WC in Qatar should crush the current FIFA board, irrespective of the fact they weren't there in 2010.

Some of them were and all of them had a chance to call it off years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

This is only the start of it, wait until the fans start getting arrested. Of course it shouldn’t be on there, but some seems to think they can treat it like an ordinary World Cup, they can’t. Qatar is an Arab country, money doesn’t change that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You see it everywhere, it’s a deliberate tactic… criticising makes you racist… straight from their playbook, the wokesters will be loving it though.. 😅

the absolute fücking state of that joker Infantini…

“i don’t like or agree with”…..and you are a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭thebronze14

ah well, at least hooliganism won't be an issue this time

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I know. Be a bit boring..

be a bit born. Birra hooliganism always livens up a World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Apparently a bunch of English fans were arrested for singing "get your face out for the boys" to a waitress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

TBH, I will miss Russian MMA Hooligans with Go-Pros chasing fat English football fans around.

Obviously Qatar have paid some more professional Indian lads to act like authentic English fans after the last debacle.

This could well be true, but I think you need to apply your disinformation filter when posting stuff like this.

The outlet: The Hindustan Times (The what? Not exactly the WaPo)

The source: A tweet from someone called Amjad Taha (who?), an apparent citizen of Bahrain, who has spent the last few years as some sort of gun for hire praising Trump's efforts in the Middle East, and likely a mouthpiece for Saudi.

The source's place of work: British Middle East Center for Studies and Research (The what? This "Center" has an extremely small footprint, with scant evidence of its bone findes)

Conclusion: Keep your powder dry for actual proper vetted journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

There is a massive hypocrisy and stink of racism from the western criticism.

We read in western media about migrants dying crossing the channel and UK government not helping them. What about human rights there?

What about the fact it was illegal to be gay in Ireland up until the 90s or something. Would the Irish government have been happy with other people telling them what they should and shouldn't do?

Shane Lowry and Rory McIlroy are over in Dubai at this very minute taking UAE money. What about their human rights? Maybe EU governments should ban flights to these countries??

France are in the pocket of Qatar. The EU buys oil from Qatar.

What about? What about? What about?

This World Cup is a grotesque clusterf*ck, hosted in a sandbox with a local population the size of Iceland, with venues built on the bones of up to 7,000 South Asians.

There's nothing to defend - everything about it sucks. It's international football's lowest ebb.

No one is expecting moral and ethical perfection, but everything about this sh*tshow is wrong.

Sick to the back teeth of edgelord claims of HYpoCriSY. Everything stinks about this WC. Yeah, yeah, yeah, insert random inequity in [insert country here]. Change the f*cking record.

Post edited by Yurt2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm so glad I'm a rugby fan.

Don't get me wrong, I like soccer, but my TV will never be turned on for this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Inclusive etc is a largely Western concept and belief.

They are not too worried about Impressing European countries in this world cup.

For Qatar it is about asserting itself as a cultural power in the middle East and Islamic world, about showcasing itself as a business partner etc for Asia and African markets.

It's not going to throw out its religion just because we think they are **** about things.

Someone posted earlier about this world cup not keeping with civilised or sporting values. It is just not reflective of our values, unfortunately.

Outside of Western Europe and North America, what they are at will go down well, Qatar is funnily enough one of the most tolerant countries in the region, not a hard task admittedly.

Advertisement