Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Homelessness has nothing to do with a lack of houses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

People who say they are being "silenced" or "shouted down" when they mean "disagreed with" shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You wouldn't wish what? Who's asking for a mansion?

They get small gated off housing estates built for them and dont have to contribute anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Most people are happier working, do you not agree? I prefer to work for the money I get, I was off for a few months during the pandemic, it was nice to have a break but I woudn't want that life full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd rather not work if I knew the government would look after me but I can't rely on this. I like many people would find the extra free time wonderful

• Advertisement

why couldn't you just do what some of them do and not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Greyfox

We should close the Russian embassy in Dublin and Irish people in Russia will just have to fend for themselves in Russia, its an evil enemy state so if you want to live there, that is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Italia 90 being on such a sporting pedestal in this country is embarrassing.

Yes it was our first ever World Cup, but we scored two bleedin' goals all tournament. Costa Rica also got to the knock-out stages in what was their first appearance (actually winning a game in the group and scoring more goals than us)- do they have nostalgic shows on it every few years?

We were a mere sideshow compared to everything else going on. You had Cameroon defeating defending champions Argentina on the way to topping their group, knocking out Colombia and coming close to shocking England.

You had Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia playing under that banner for the last time, and indeed West Germany winning it a couple of months before reunification.

You had England's best tournament since 66, a reawakening of the English league as a result as their clubs returned to European competition and ultimately led to the creation of Sky and the Premier League.

You had Maradona taking on Italy in his adopted home town, with most of the crowd actually cheering for Argentina given the regional rivalries in Italy.

The back-pass rule was introduced as a counter to increasingly defensive tactics- one of the biggest tactical changes in the game's history.

Nessum Dorma.

At least we had tangible (non-shootout) wins in 94 and 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

yeah was our first World Cup to be fair and we got out of our group which is an achievement, got to the quarter final in fact. Should have set up more attacking and risked it for a biscuit vs Italy… that's where we fûcked up….we didn’t really have anything to lose but we didn’t lay a glove on them but just I guess held our own… never know what might have happened if Bonner hadn’t parried that weak shot to Schallichi…if Italy tired and Ireland grew in confidence at 0-0…. Italy with a one goal lead though and that back four and midfield… their experience of big occasions and game management nouse though….always be a struggle..

fûckers had probably the best ever international back four, or one of certainly…. Costacurta, Baresi, Maldini, Bergomi

we hardly worried them or Zenga though and he was a liability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Mental health issues"

It's the new buzz words. Feel down on Mondays? = "my mental health". Some bird gives you the elbow? = "my mental health". To be brutally honest it's overused by cu*ts. The general trials and tribulations of life we all face are being used as "my mental health" issues.

I know someone with genuine and actual mental health issues and it annoys them to think people are using this term. They're right.

Oooh ah up the ra?

Is that controversial anymore???

When I was younger it was...seems now it's not really...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Costa Rica also got to the knock-out stages in what was their first appearance (actually winning a game in the group and scoring more goals than us)- do they have nostalgic shows on it every few years?

I don't know

I don't consume any Costa Rican media.

Do you?

Does anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is a growing absolute scepticism and distrust of the whole mental health bandwagoners and woe is me but fûck anyone else with genuine problems…crusaders… it’s the media enabling these dîckheads…as you say… media have an awful lot to answer for. But clicks, likes and views..is what they love. So both parties are compatible and in cahoots…

citizens are conditioned not to cope with problems or negativity now.. just roar… “ but my mental health “

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

According to others, I have quite a few controversial opinions:

Bring back national service - I truly worry about the future of young people that never work, sleep all day, hang around the streets with little prospect of doing anything - it must be sole destroying and very unhealthy. Some would benefit from the regime of national service, having boundaries, learning a trade, positive influences

Continuing to fund people that don’t work and have no visible income only social welfare - if you can’t feed, clothe or educate 2 children, don’t have another - if you want 10 children have them, but you support them, don’t expect or demand I do it.

Our justice system is broke - how does someone accumulate more than 200 previous convictions? First conviction, depending on the crime, slap on the wrist and don’t do it again. Second conviction, again dependent on the crime, community service; 3rd conviction probation act and any subsequent conviction jail - with increasing time - I don’t care about your reasons why / your home situation / your lack of education / I don’t care - you rob me, you damage my property, you act like an animal then you go to jail - we need to build more jails.

Respect for front line workers - since when did it become normal to attack nurses / health workers, spit on the guards etc? Guards should be able to use pepper spray and tasers - and shouldn’t let scrotes ram their cars. A total breakdown of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What have they done to Ireland to become our “enemy”??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I would agree with a lot of that, except tweek the “if you commit a crime , default to escalation of punishment” stance. I would of agreed if it more when I was younger , but in many cases the issues are the laws ,lack of supports to help troubled people and cultural ignorance (if you are breaking laws you are bad by default, I think this is a childishly naive stance to take).

The laws (eg - you take cocaine or heroine you are a criminal) are unfit for use and MAKE people criminals pushing them underground which leads to worse life situations. Nobody is born wanting to mug people or rob houses to fund a drug addiction. Nobody who takes drugs wants to be on the run or taking these drugs behind closed doors or in dodgy places. Nobody who does drugs would prefer to buy drugs that could be laced with poison as opposed to regulated ones from the state.

Even at a friends dinner the other day, the conversation turned to something like “did you know loads of kids are now doing cocaine instead of alcohol cause they want to remain fit or keep their figure?”. I didn’t know this and I think to myself , so these kids are all breaking the law, taking substances that aren’t regulated and people will think these laws are right or just for what reason? They aren’t protecting our Children, so why the f**k do not we change them and our approach to drugs?

Our drug laws and peoples poor understanding of the dynamics of drug addiction are a steaming pile of moronic donkey sh*t. Most people don’t know why drugs are illegal, the history behind drug laws is not about right or wrong , it started with laws being brought out in USA to arrest more black people and the USA forced all other countries to follow suit. Google Harry Anslinger and listen to Johan Hari to learn something.

Even at that, on a common sense level, why is cocaine not ok and alcohol or cigarettes are fine? It’s not, it’s just it’s normalised so we presume that’s just the way the world Is. Our laws literally Create drug cartels/gangs, creates more criminals (by use or sale) and effectively ensure that people struggling with addiction will more then likely go on a downward trajectory further into the underworld. It’s pathetically narrow minded and stupid.

Our drug laws protect nobody and probably couldn’t be a worse way of handling this situation if we intentionally wanted to find the worse way to tackle drug issues.

So, I see it very simple, if you MAKE people a criminal and make more violent criminals with laws that have not actually solved anything, why do we persist with the same laws. The old “doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results” comes to mind.

Sometimes the issue is society but society finds it easier to blame individuals or victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

@It wasnt me123 "Bring back national service - I truly worry about the future of young people that never work, sleep all day, hang around the streets with little prospect of doing anything - it must be sole destroying and very unhealthy. Some would benefit from the regime of national service, having boundaries, learning a trade, positive influences"

Ireland has never had national service so how can it be 'brought back'? Unless you are talking about Ireland under Britain but that was long ago.

I disagree with your reasoning, because the purpose of armies is to fight wars - not to provide lost people with discipline and reduce their personal lassitude. We should only expand our armed forces for military reasons.

I agree re trades. We should expand trades apprenticeships. The internet has created a global marketplace. Anyone can now buy cheap raw materials easily from India and China from Alibaba and Aliexpress and begin making things. It also creates a global customer base.

We could train many young people to become artisan makers. There is, particularly in Japan but also in the rest of the world, a market for beautifully-made things.

Many young people are bored by pointless paperwork jobs - including arts graduates, whose natural creativity supposedly has no economic value. These admin jobs are over-subscribed with too many professional-manager types in the economy competing for the same roles, which drives down wages also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The problem is that you can’t rule out never being in a war again. The presumption made, incorrectly , is that civilisation will continue to evolve into more , well civilised cultures. But everything that tells us about humans suggests this will never happen, somebody or some culture will always revert back to chaos (like the wave of populism). Humanity just can’t help but being self destructive, there’s no prolonged period in history where humans were not in conflict in some shape or form and I don’t think anybody thinks there will be universal peace on earth anytime soon.

Resources , religion , politics , borders , there will always be things to fight over and we are animals who will return to our basic instincts in high pressure situations.

Having some sort of period where young adults serve at a boot camp (not necessarily an intention to fight per say but a good discipline and reminder not to take democracy for granted) would be a positive part of peoples maturing in my view.

If the boot camp actually had some sort of “here is how the real world works” classes aswell it would be great. Things like saving, insurance , paying bills etc, the kind of things you don’t learn in school, would be great. Addiction classes from drill instructors they respect and with reformed addicts explaining their stories in a discussions way. Classes on family dysfunction, philosophy classes so people can relearn how to actually think for themselves and understand their own bias or reasons for thinking things. Actually encouraging engagement , as opposed to compliance in school , would help harness more balanced and confident individuals.

The difference of doing it at a boot camp is that there is no test. There is no motive to learn stuff off by heart, that you might not even understand, just to get into college. You are here to grow as a person , physically and mentally with no competition in play.

Actually try and help our children go into the workplace with strong practical tools.

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy, Ryan Tubridy and Brendan O'Connor should try the same tactics of Bosco, Zig and Zag when they got the opportunity to speak out against their critics, on the Late Late Toy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

theres been around 20 civilisations before us, all wiped out. Mayas, Aztecs, Incas, Romans & Egyptians etc

if we don’t change the way policy’s are made very fast we will be wiped out in 50 year’s

I’m wasn’t just talking about drugs, though your reply focussed on that.

I’m talking about personal attacks, robbing people, attacking nurses and guards etc. I don’t care why they are doing it - I don’t care if they are on drugs. Everyone has access to internet and know drugs are bad and addictive and no drug addict lives to a long age, yet still they choose to start - they choose to start, I didn’t make them and I’m sick of cleaning up their mess. At the moment Clonmel town is becoming a no go zone, drug taking and fighting in the middle of the town in the middle of the day, men and women - it has to stop. Give them drug programmes in Jail, just get them off the streets. And there is no respect for anyone - people catching public transport, people in public spaces, hospitals etc. We have to allow them to act out because their mum didn’t hug them enough, or they got bullied or they live in a poor part of town, or whatever, I don’t care.

We did have it years ago, my dad did it but I’m not talking about arranging a reserve army though this is done in lots of countries like Switzerland and parts of Scandinavia. It’s common to return every 10 years of 2 mths of refresher national service.

National service (or call it something else) would give young people a chance to experience life before heading to college. Take 2 years out, learn a trade, do volunteering (whatever that entails), learn to drive etc. It could be a very positive experience on lots of people.

Liking the boot camp idea but wouldn’t call it that as I didn’t mean national service to mean training in the army. But yes, teaching young people about life - bills, trades, learn to drive, resilience, respect for themselves and others, community spirit - respect for where you live (keep it clean), respect for your neighbours, respect for nurses, guards etc. I’m not saying guards shouldn’t be judged or called out on bad behaviour, but the disgusting things that is said to them, thrown at them, rammed cars, society is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Suspect this will go down horribly but Packie Bonner was a very poor goalkeeper, my granny ( dead since 1999 ) could get up quicker and he very often dropped balls ( v Holland 1994 World Cup ) or made crucial mistakes ( Euro 92 qualifier v Poland, he was at fault for two goals which cost us qualification)

the penalty he saved in the 90 quarter final v Romania was a very poorly taken penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wouldn't say he was very poor but he was overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

His lack of agility alone would rule him out as a professional keeper nowadays

They are enemy to any country who believe in democracy and not invading a peaceful neighbor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So are the U.K. and USA, are they our enemy too??

Advertisement