Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing delays

Options
  • 20-11-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I already hold a shotgun license which is fine. I bought an air rifle back in March and I am still waiting for the licence 8 months later. I've rang the local Garda every month for the past 6 months to no avail. He says he's flat out at renewals. Picks up my form and tells me that everything is in order with my application and he just has to ring my referees but he is just prioritizing renewals over new applications. Maybe I could retrieve the application and take it to another local station? I'm after getting the renewal form now for my shotgun licence that I haven't used in the past 12 months. Maybe I'm too busy to fill out the form.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If the referees are the same, there shouldn't be any contact needed. Sounds like you're just getting fobbed off. They do say that if you haven't heard back in 6 months after application, then consider it a refusal.

Regarding the shotgun renewal....if your license is expired, you are then holding an unlicensed firearm. If I were you, I would make myself available to get that filled in, or prepare to surrender it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

Getting fobbed off alright. Shotgun licence expires in Feb 23 I think. I tried contacting another local station to see if I could pull my application and give it to them but I can't get them on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

There will be a main station that they all go to for processing. Find out where yours is and drop an application in there.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Write to the superintendent in charge. I have, it usually (always) elicits a speedy response. I’m often reminded of Bishop Brennan shouting at the top of his voice “ Crilly !”

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Im in the same boat waiting 5 months going on for a substitution for a rifle like for like. I was told there some issue with the printing of the licences hence the delay ur licence may be granted but you would have to check with them to be honest. These delays are happening up and down the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement