Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Russia invaded us in the morning, who would come to our aid?

Options

Comments

But that's not the point. I'm actually surprised they bothered banning 54 Irish politicians or whatever it was. It's a real concern for Finland for example who are non NATO members, or even the Baltic States who are. Would the US or the NATO members retaliate? Germany would be very doubtful judging by their lukewarm response to help Ukraine.

And for those saying Russia couldn't mount an attack - they most certainly could with conventional ballistic missiles and drones. Again the Baltic States, Finland and the likes of Moldova are far more likely targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The evidence that they wouldnt in the first instance. It's completely impractical for them.

The rational for countries not to put boots on the ground in the Russian Ukraine conflict is complex but you cannot say that Ukraine has not received massive international support........

Even a What If scenario needs to have some basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Putin has been pulling stupid stunts like this for years. Because he's a bully and he like to beat his chest. Their armed forces never recovered from the breakup of the Soviet Union.

It's only media obsessives and fantastists that give these "what ifs" any credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From history, armies invading Russia have suffered from logistical issues. Likewise Russia projection of force is very much tied to geographical constraints: i.e. neighbouring countries are most at risk. Hence the original question falls under unlikely scenario. The only major powers that seriously threatened intervention into Ireland occurred during WW2 and that was the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭b v

Membership of NATO obliges you to assist other members. NATO has no rules forbidding members from assisting non-members.

By your logic NATO members are breaking the rules by assisting Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Being disconnected from reality is common on these threads. Some people need to ease up on their media consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you think Russia won't be dropping VDV troops in over Donnybrook so we're grand then you're mental

Russia cant rightly **** us over should they choose to

It will start with destabilising us internally with Russian assets, say hello to Mick and Clare, say hello to hundreds of thousands of Lulu voting Brazillians, say hello to dissos and loyalists, every headbanger far left (with TDs) and far right party all being funded by Russian. Anything to stir up tension and mistrust in NI

Then you'll have critical infrastructure being hacked or just taken out like our gas connectors or internet cables

And the truth is they'd **** with us because we're the weakest and most easily accessbible link in Western Europe, plus they can indirectly **** with the UK through us.

Neutrality was fine when we were a strategic afterthought and war between east and west was going to consist of the world ending with some massive flashes.

Now, neutrality is putting our hand out to be slapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

If Russia did invade us the fellas on the "Russia thread" here would be paddling like fcuk on small boats and Lidl inflatables trying to reach safety in Canada LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

This whole thread is based on a lack of basic information.

There are huge holes in your general knowledge related to the questions.that youre asking.

Youd be better off doing some research on the countries and institutions which you have used in your imaginary scenario. As the underlying assumptions are way off.

Your questions are full of false assumptions.

For one thing Finland is tooled up like a motherfvcker, with a huge national reserve force. And the east of Finland is largely made up of a bazillion small forrested islands and lakes, often at -20c with dense snow. Its probably top 5 for uninvadeable places.

So the "real possibility" is Russia getting the slap of its life.

Finland is EU, so it is "the west".

Yes you could expect a response many times greater than that in Ukraine, as Finland is part of EU common defense and security policy.

The Ukraine response is pretty fcking effective, tens of billions poured in, and Ukraine is just a third party country.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

The UK would absolutely declare and join the fight as soon as they announced they were attacking Ireland followed soon after by the US.

The US would use the UK and Shannon as a staging base and they d obliterate any attacking Russian force with ease.

They could literally sit there swatting away Russian attacks with ease as Russia doesn't have the power projection to attack Ireland.

They would eventually just have to give up and leave Ireland alone.

The women and foreigners will be first out the door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Ya reckon if Russia managed to take the entire of Ukraine that it would stop there ? (as unlikely as that seems)

Every country east of Berlin has been threatened in the same way that Ukraine was before it was invaded.

If your claiming an understanding of history beyond or before ww2 or even the natur of despots and bully's you should understand that when they take something and no one opposes them they will take more and more until some one does.

appeasement cost many millions of lives during ww2 and ww1 and set civilization as a whole back about 100 years.

its a policy of cowards fools and purchased stooges like wallace and daly

Look,

The russians COULD wipe out any nation the size of Ireland with a couple of nucleur ICBMs.

The same as the yanks or any nation capable of nucluer weaponry.

Doesn't mean it will ever happen - again - for a multitude of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd change my profile picture to include a tricolour, that would help I think.

Why are so many people answering this with "it's completely impractical and unlikely?" That's not the point. The question is a political what if not a logistics what if. Jesus. If I asked in some other forum "what if your wife cheated on you" and people started answering "my wife would never cheat she is faithful" might be factually correct but would be a pretty pointless and useless answer.

Politically the yanks would likely intervene,with the Irish American demographic holding some sway still,can only imagine healy-rae type character in every hill and glen halting russian advances with javelin rocket launchers

Practically Russia wouldn't bother with Ireland or the UK,neither are massively important on the world stage, particularly in a post brexit world and could be simply left cut off from the world.... ala those avoz blokes in that steel plant

Well thanks for the condescending reply but as I've pointed out several times now this was not a logistics question but a political one. I'm well aware of Finland's military capability.

The only part of your answer that actually went anywhere near answering my question was something vague about the EU common defence and security policy. Good luck with that. Ireland are part of that too - are you saying they would send troops / air power in the event of a Russian invasion? I very much doubt it. The Brits would be our only hope IMO.

• Advertisement

Thanks for actually replying with something sensible. I really wonder would the Yanks do something if push came to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Rohan?

I never said it would happen ... God this is hard work ...

I agree it's very naive to think Putin would stop at Ukraine, given the chance. It's off topic but how and ever.

They COULD do all that but WOULD they? The Brits probably would because they would think they are next, but the Yanks? I dunno. Or the EU? Even less sure on that one.

If it fell at a time to be political/electorally advantageous to their politian it would....otherwise I'd couldn't imagine anymore than what Ukraine got,endless armaments to give Russia a bloody nose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

1000s of military aged asylum seekers arriving here would surely help to defend their new homeland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought it was the British who had plans to invade were the Nazis to make a play for Ireland, and that the plan was agreed to by the Irish government in secret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The premise is bogus.

There is no realistic scenario whereby Ireland would be invaded, by Russia, in isolation from other European Countries.

Lets say for argument's sake that they weren't as utterly shyte at War as they now seem to be and they made a move on Scandinavia and then Britain before invading Ireland.

They would already have invaded Norway and Britain before they reached us and so it would be a NATO conflict before we even got caught up in it.

And in such a doomsday scenario, any Irish Government would immediately agree a pact with NATO, allowing them access to our harbours and airfields for the purposes of repelling Russia from the wider attack on northern Europe, in return for defending Ireland in the process. It would be an obvious quid pro quo.

Advertisement