Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Saw it a few weeks ago, it’s actually sad the way the ordinary man/woman in the street was fcuked over and a country set on a path of slow decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The whole system there is so fundamentally dysfunctional and corrupt that it seems impossible to fix. Amazing documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Are there 7 parts?. I failed to get parts 4 and 7. I also listened to the interview re Adam Curtis being interviewed by , I think , Brand. A big playable was made on we are becoming more individualistic and this flies against trying to organise the running of a country on a communistic or democratic basis. It came across as a case or either or.

Butif we all behaved as individuals, all out exclusively for ourselves, had no interest or empathy for our fellow woman or man, I wonder how , for example , could order be maintained? , how would we resolve disputes, how would we handle disruption eg employees walking off the job when they felt like it and coming back on the job when they also felt like it, how could we hold meetings if everybody felt like turning up at different times and leaving when they felt like it and so on and on and on

IMO there would be utter chaos . So we would fast come to the conclusion that a certain amount of ‘ORDER ‘ is required in order to get things done, to move forward, more benefit is delivered all around, etc, etc.

is there not ROOM for individual behaviour BUT within a certain set of rules and regulations.

the more ‘Individual’ a country/population behaves the better Russia would like it as it leads to uncertainty/ class division/ utter chaos, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

Slow motion video of the 'surrendering' Russians firing on Ukrainians first-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Here’s a YouTube link to the full 7 episodes

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9eKQjNu1CogsfzC8DvZM0SgpujW2hVUD

The rot was already there well before Gorby came to power. As I said it’s sad to see the ordinary Russian Fcuked over during the 90’s but they had 20+ years to reform their country and it’s just gotten worse. Hard to have sympathy for them now.

Its even worse that’s it’s taken a “partial mobilisation” of the general populace to even raise a small resistance to what Russia are doing in Ukraine. It smacks of a “ as long as I’m alright “ attitude. I doubt that can be changed whilst the current lot are in power.

BTW thanks to the regular posters in this thread who give updates of stuff going on in Ukraine that don’t make the headlines here it’s really appreciated. If only the ones who are so clearly brainwashed by Putins misinformation machine could be weeded out before they post their drivel and “but but the west” crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Description:

While much of the narrative around the early stages of Russia's 2022 invasion centre on the battle for Kyiv and the reverses Russia suffered there, in the South, the Russian invasion was altogether more successful in its opening moves.

Advancing from Crimea, the Russians rapidly secured a number of critical positions in the South of the country, including a regional capital on the right bank of the Dnipro, the city of Kherson.

The fighting to take back Kherson would be some of the hardest for Ukrainian forces. They would face a number of high quality Russian units who were heavily dug in, and they would do it over unfavourable ground.

The fighting would take months and claim many lines before the final Russian withdrawal in November.

This is the story of that campaign - from the city's fall to its liberation, along with some of the lessons and observations that we can (with admittedly low confidence levels) make using the data available so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was reading a military expert yesterday outlining in detail how no war crime had been committed by the Ukrainians. Just because a number of Russian soldiers had laid down on the ground, their group can not be said to have actively "surrendered", as they hadn't been checked for weapons yet and then another member of their group appeared out of nowhere and opened fire on the Ukrainians at very close range.

In other words, one of the Russian group opening fire on the captors (and hitting one of them) turns it back from being a surrender situation into an active combat one again.

Ah yes,unable to discuss the subject matter or disseminate it,resort to insults🤣🤣🤣

Instigate em by holding them and inviting all sides to

Not really complicated stuff,the notion Ukraine will dispell em by force of arms or these sanctions will cause em to pack up tent overnight is perhaps delusional however,

the yanks ended up holding peace talks with the Taliban,despite holding all the cards,no war in hundreds of years has ended on the field,quite why anyone who suggests this war will end in negotiations at a table and not on the field,is to be abused and shouted delusional at,is beyond me🤷.....

but sure if yous don't want to hear any facts,and stick to dogma,cheerleading and wondering why by end next year,100s of thousands more have died in entirely preventable violence....how long until the shelling at that nuclear plant ends in disaster??

It could easily end in civil war there too and for reasons you have listed ,

I think risking a civil war breaking out,via increasing societal breakdown,in a country with nuclear weapons is lunacy tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

IAEA: Powerful explosions shook the area of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP) yesterday evening and again this morning. IAEA team on site says there had been damage done to some buildings, systems and equipment at the ZNPP

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

It worked in the 90s and gave Europe and the western world 20 year of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Economics101

"no war in hundreds of years has ended on the field" . I suppose this includes WW2, technically there were negotiations at the end. But it ended in total defeat and unconditional surrender for the Axis powers. If this was does not end in a comprehensive defeat for Russia, they wiii be back, and more dangerous than ever.

Comparisons with Afghanistan are a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I know this is wrong of me, but I actually couldn't care less. Couldn't kill enough of them war criminals IMO. Just wish it was putler receiving a bullet to the head......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think the rough translation is "pleaaaasee don't beat the Russians"

The best meme I've seen on the Russian mindset is that Russias borders mark the places where someone kicked the **** out of them.

I suggest we send em back to the 90s and keep em there for a few decades. The Germans and Japanese had to be dismantled before they got the message. Long overdue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm inclined to think the American Civil War would count as well. I mean, yes, there was in theory a surrender ceremony, but when your enemy's army is marching right across your countryside, burning or gifting cities as he goes and there's nothing much you can do about it, the difference is sortof academic.

Falklands would be another case in point. British muscled through everything that the Argentinians could throw at them and isolated the last significant garrison at Stanley. The end was not in doubt, only the question of how many more people would die.

Read some history of USSR leaders, it’s not something unexpected.

It could be that the Russian mobilized soldiers were ordered to shoot their way out of a surrender. I vaguely remember something about them being given grenades 'in case of capture' or something along those lines.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

All I know is those Russians are stark raving mad. It seems to me that its now some kind of Kremlin policy to be as unhinged as possable in order to scare Ukraine's people and the wider Europe.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Stop avoiding the details.

What of Crimea?

What should the negotiated peace look like and why would both sides accept it?

What concessions should be made to get people around the negotiating table?

Just shouting "Peace!" goes nowhere, bring your solutions, again, stop being a putin apologist and outline what putin should give up on and why he would.

Or just admit you don't have a clue or waffle around it again, up to you.

Post edited by astrofool on

• Advertisement

"A major fire in the center of Moscow, near three railway stations connecting the Russian capital to several major cities of the country including St. Petersburg."

Ukrainian military repelled Russian attacks near Bilohorivka of Luhansk region and Spirne, Yakovlivka, Bakhmutske, Bakhmut, Opytne and Klischiyivka of Donetsk region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Meanwhile Russian are enjoying a night at the Theatre. Absolutely bonkers.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1590072232285335552

Great to see this at the heart of Mordor. This puts huge pressure on Putin. “Can’t even protect our capital”.

Russia must be ripe for much more sabotage efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

With any luck this is only the start.

Let them get a taste of their own medicine!

"repelled Russian attacks" is a euphemism for "more dead Russians"

Post edited by zv2 on

At Slobozhanschyna direction Russian army shelled Starytsya of Kharkiv region, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

5 years old, not even the time of the first impeachment. Probably not up to date; doesn't show the convicted ones (Stone, Manafort) or the ones on the run (Kilimnik). Kind of old news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Has anyone read US state report on Ukraine.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2021-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/ukraine/

Significant human rights issues included credible reports of: unlawful or arbitrary killings, including extrajudicial killings by the government or its agents; torture and cases of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment of detainees by law enforcement personnel; harsh and life-threatening prison conditions; arbitrary arrest or detention; serious problems with the independence of the judiciary; serious abuses in the Russia-led conflict in the Donbas, including physical abuses or punishment of civilians and members of armed groups held in detention facilities

Two corrupt countries having a war. One backed by NATO. I'm at a loss. Why are we not trying to separate them, stop the fighting? I find the whole thing mad.

It's a shame more people have not spoken out like Mrs Higgins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement