Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's an incredibly underrated whiskey, it's great value even at full price in my experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Sorry to hear that.

The Celtic Whisky Shop had a few Glenallachie single casks that were port and sherry finished and higher ABVs.

This would tick all your boxes...

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/glenallachie-2006-single-cask-1408

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

What (if anything) jumps off the page as good value in the O'Briens Irish Whiskey sale? 3 Swallows at €30 catches my eye as does Black Bush at €25.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What's the Tesco finest 12 year Irish single malt like? Price seems to be very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Some good prices there. As only a new whiskey drinker I've only tried Jameson, lambay, slane, glendalogh ,teelings, roe and come from that list. What should I try next? Lambay and slane would be my favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Add Black Bush to your list time I think. Or Powers 3 Swallow at that price. Maybe Irishman also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sorry for your loss . I’m sure all our glasses are raised with yours to your Mam .

Never had a full Barry Crockett but have had the 50ml mini in the potstill four set severaL times Even as a single malt Sherry bomb lover it’s head and shoulders above everything else .My mini review for what it’s worth is ‘mandarin angel tears ‘.Enjoy !

Just sipping a €30 Powers Three Swallows from OBriens and have to say it’s very pleasant indeed .Def worth the extra few quid over a Blackbush in my opinion . It’s a little more subtle . I think it’s basically Powers with a little sherried mature potstill ( is this called a ‘topper’ ?) Grand pre Christmas daily drinking drop . Looking ahead a little they also had Tyrconnell 16 reduced from around €92-100 to €70 low - mid something .A worthy Christmas treat bottle ?

Finally 2 or 3 posters have lamented the decline of Glendalough ( POWERSCOURT?) two cask whiskey . I enjoyed West Cork Dha Chasca ( two cask) single malt so much five or six years ago it almost became my exclusive tipple at €34 or less a bottle . BUT I think the previously sourced spirit was replaced by their own very immature stuff AND the price almost hit €40 . …Prob similar story if not almost identical although I tried the Wicklow two cask and it was grain so not for me .

• Advertisement

The four minis set of Irish potstills is worth trying at €36-38 euros it has 50ml each of :

Green Spot €60 a full bottle

Redbreast 12 €60 a full bottle

Powers Johns Lane €70-75

Barry Crockett €260

If you can stretch the set over two sittings it’s actually really good value which is rare to say lately

Powerscourt is Fercullen. Glendalough are separate.

I picked up a mini of Fercullen Falls which contains some of their own distillate, nice drop but Black Bush and Slane and Busker better value.

I think that set is a milestone along peoples whiskey journey...

And close to xmas have seen it closer to 30e in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Tonight I had some Bruichladdich Classic Laddie followed by a Port Charlotte 10. Both bottles are about halfway and settling beautifully.

Oh and I'm embarrassed to say I've only tonight made my first ever old fashioned. I used Wild Turkey 101. It was class. Great cocktail!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

They are very nice indeed!

Another favourite of mine, that I discovered with leftovers from pancake Tuesday a few years ago, is a whiskey maple sour...

3 parts whiskey, 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part maple syrup. Shake over ice and strain (I found a travel coffee mug worked perfectly if you don't have a shaker!)

Lovely will definitely try that love all those ingredients

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I went through a phase of making a lot of Old Fashioneds but it's been a while. Great sipper if you want something cold. The bitters selection can be fun and I also like lighting the oil from an orange peel for a bit of extra zip.

In the UK there and came back with the new Ardbeg smoke trails (manzanilla finish) and a Lag 16 since it was "only" 63 GBP.

Found one of these and took the plunge for Christmas Eve. Looking forward to it but still wondering is it worth it for the age statement. I'm sure some of you folks might be able to reassure me (or not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

V nice! Where did you find that??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've only had a brief taste of Blue Spot but I thought it was the most interesting of the spots I've had (not had gold). A lot going on in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I'm really sorry to read this. May she rest in peace.

A bottle of Aberlour A’Bunadh ticks all your boxes. If you are looking for something really fancy you could get a sample of Glengoyne 25 Year Old from Master of Malt for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wasn't blown away by gold spot

Tasted it at whiskey live. Although my palate could have been shot when I tasted it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ah thanks mate

Think I'll just go abunah and maybe a cash annamh

In fairness the aberlour put out some stunning stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I tasted it close to the start, and liked it, but wasn't blown away. But the whiskeys that followed meant I couldn't recall it as clearly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I really like it. I got two bottles of batch 1 when it came out, and still have one unopened. I know I'll drink it too fast when I finally do open it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Such a nice cocktail. As mentioned, some of the bitters variations can make lots of nice subtle differences, as does the choice of whiskey. Another fun thing is to smoke rosemary or thyme under a glass and pour the cocktail over it.

On the Spots. I was lucky enough to get my hands on Blue & Gold during the year, but haven't opened either yet. Hoping someone gifts me Red so I can complete the set by Christmas! That'll be a nice Spotty NYE.

Been keeping an eye to see what Mitchell & Sons would come up with in their whiskey sale. They increased the wine Green Spots by a fiver a month or so ago and then today reduced them by a fiver and put a 'sale' stamp on it. Hardly new stock since then?

That's while disappointing like. Almost a bit cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

Yes But! Irish Distillers are 72 for the Montelena and L Barton. Mitchells arre down from 70 to 65. They are the only shop that I know who ever give a knock on these two. Not as good as previous (60 from 70) but still best around (afaik). I am not too sure if they increased the list priceof these. The plain green spot did go up.

• Advertisement

Aye and the Leoville Barton is a great whiskey and probably worth it. They're only down to 70 from 75, but they were 70 a month ago. they were 60 last year in the Christmas sale which was a better deal. It just means realistically they didn't reduce the price at all this year because it was increased just in advance of the sale from 70 to 75 and then dropped down again to 70 with a big sale stamp on it. I know this is common retail practice but this one was just a little bit more cheeky i thought.

Advertisement