Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

But but its about results????

People cant have it both ways. It was a dire performance and doesnt inspire confidence especially the sub choices but a win is a win is a win. Im sure the poster who keeps putting up the win record will be disapointed with the result tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same as that. You can't be justifying that sh1te to anyone. Performance was atrocious, player selection and substitutions were poor.

He sent Sykes on with 5 minutes to go and changed to 541, to hold onto the win. It's Malta FFS.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

30 games into the Kenny era and we've reached the point where we're relieved to be coming away from playing the 168th best team in the world with a narrow win and a clean sheet. So much for the attacking brand of football that we were promised. We needed a gift from an awful piece of defending.

It was a travesty that this regime were given new contracts. So many wasted years. We haven't made any progress from McCarthy's time; and considering his side in November, '19 needed 1 more goal against Denmark to secure automatic qualification, we have fallen off massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I wonder is the departure of Anthony Barry the reason for the regression we're seeing? Barry had us well drilled on the set-pieces, but all that looks to have been thrown out the window judging by how poor we've been at them as of late. We seem to have regressed back to just mindlessly passing amongst the back three defenders. The movement in the front players is absolutely shocking. Everyone seems to be just stood like statues occupying their position at all costs and being far too easy to defend against.

I feel that we're just one bad result away from Kenny going now. If god forbid we fail to take 6 points from Gibraltar, I can see the FAI sending him on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Norway was “a tactical battle” apparently. He’s some spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ah the old wind excuse..wish the interviewer would ask tough questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

Not too many positives after that. Bar McGrath none of the starters impressed although O'Dowda did well when he came on. Thought Doherty and Collins were particularly bad tonight. Collins looked jittery and his clearance were awful. Doherty offered nothing in his attacking role. Midfield is still lacking creativity, McGrath did better than Browne did on Thursday and is probably our best choice as the 3rd midfielder if we insist on playing with 3 in the back. Browne makes the right moves at the wrong times and he really should have done much better with his chance towards the end of the 1st half. Ogbene was awful aswell and we could really do with Idah getting some game time as he's our best forward at holding up the ball. Robinson was dreadful again bar the goal and he's shouldn't be starting.

Kenny is really making life difficult for himself in these friendlies with not changing from the 3 at the back when it wasn't working and bringing Hendrick on again ahead of Smallbone and Sykes. Wouldn't matter so much if Hendrick wasn't brutal when he came on both times and if Kenny thought bringing on Hendrick to secure the result is a good idea, the last two matches should have disproved that theory at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Disgraceful performance. We needed a Maltese defensive error to score. We should have sacked him at the end of the last campaign and allowed a new manager to start with two friendlies.

Sykes given 5 minutes. What was the point in that? How are you meant to be a fair assessment on him with 5 poxy minutes over two friendlies. Ferguson didn't fair too much better, but to leave Smallbone on the bench for both games when he's potentially what we need in midfield is shocking. Scales 0 minutes. Lenihan 0 minutes. Travers 0 minutes. Pointless.

And now we have Kenny bigging up Malta trying to justify a narrow win. Blaming the weather?! Is he for real!?

In 10, 20 years time we will look back on the Kenny era as more laughable than the Staunton one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Shocking performance. It seems like they've regressed as I thought there were some signs in previous games that things were changing for the good.

If they were to get rid of him now I don't know who's available and who would even want the gig.

We also should have beaten Slovakia if Hourihane could a ball into the net from 4 yards in the playoff. At the end of the day it was the terrible draw against Georgia that cost Mick (oh look us not playing well against a minnow).

Can you list how many games Ireland have gone and beaten a minnow away from home comfortably? We have been able to do that in 20 years. This group of players is the worst of the last 30 years, Kenny isnt getting the best out of them but I think they are trying to play football in a better way.

Wasted years in what way? The same as all the other wasted years when we did nothing with better squads and didnt qualify? Our standard is not qualifying.

Our standard pre-Kenny was being competitive in our group. Our standard now is being out of contention after 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

The idea that Kenny will be sacked before the end of the Euros is a non-runner I think. We’re going into a campaign no manager would guarantee to get us out of, so really, why sack him after one result?

I’m personally happy for him to get the campaign because he’s done a lot of work on the squad, far more than he gets credit for imo, and it was all in preparation for the upcoming campaign. But realistically he’s still struggling against the lower seeds and if he can’t fix that then we should move on for the WC campaign. The FAI will have plenty of time to analyse potential replacements that can hopefully build on the overhaul Kenny’s done to get us in shape for 2028.

What I’ll never understand is the amount of pure hatred the man draws from certain quarters. Puts far more effort than most previous managers and gets judged incredibly harshly. You’d swear we were constant qualifiers before he came in.

Same difference to me. Most of the games in the last campaign were generally more entertaining than the last 10 years in my opinion. Id rather watch better football than watch what MON or Mick served up. Thats my opinion many will disagree which is their right.

Qualify that.

What “work” has he done on the squad that literally any other manager wouldn’t have done??

What “far more effort” does he put in than former managers??

We were constantly competitive before he came in.

• Advertisement

I believe that it Mick was still in charge Darren Randolf would still be No1, Duffy would be starting every game, along with Hendrick and Hourihane and Hogan up top. Theres no way kelliher, bazunu, collins, idah, parrot, ogbene, to name a few would have as many caps as they do under the likes of Mick.

Bringing in the young players was brave of Kenny and probably did create a rod for his own back but someone had to do it at some stage. I think we will reap the rewards from it but probably not with Kenny. If bringing in young players into an international set up was easy im sure MON amd Mick wouls have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭roverjoyce

Starting McClean and bringing on Hendrick is not reaping the rewards, it is a manager trying to keep his job

The work was the overhaul of the squad. Had the oldest squad in Euro 2016 At 29 years because there was no link between the youth setups and the senior squad. He bridged that gap, made young players like Bazunu, Collins and Ogbene regulars, and did so while still finishing in our seeded position.

Effort: other managers set up Ireland in a 4-4–2 low block, win the ball play it long quickly to try and fashion a chance or more realistically a set piece. That’s it. Kenny has been trying various formations and systems(with varying success). But he’s at least trying to evolve the ability of the team.

You can think he’s the wrong man for the job, there’s obviously a case for that, but anyone who refuses to give him an ounce of credit while pining for mercenaries to come in for a couple of million, not qualify anyway and not progress the team at all clearly has a bizarre agenda against him for some reason.

Mick did do it. Most of those you’ve named were initially capped by Mick. He also has experience of it from his first spell. So your belief doesn’t seem to be based on anything tangible.

Yes and i think thats Kennys problem. He hears the critisism and is now managing with fear. When he started he tried things and didnt care. Now he is worried about whats being said about him, the team and his record. I think it will end up being his downfall in the end. As ive said in a few posts, he cant now say he ia building for the future with his selections and subs. A fear has set in he will cost himself in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,990 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How many chances is Kenny going to get? There must be an end point somewhere.

We'll get thumped by France and, later, the Netherlands and the excuse will be "we aren't at that level", we'll lose to Greece and the excuse will be "the heat"...and on and on.

Stephen Kenny seems like a nice guy and it's not his fault but I think he is not qualified to do the job.

I think he is hopelessly out of his depth.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Overhaul?? He’s using pretty much the same players Mick used, bar one or two who would have been far too young to play under Mick. The Kenny defenders are hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah this window especially had a bad stench of past your sell by date, and probably one bad result away from the sack.

FAI might start eyeing up lads that become available after the WC when there's more options to pick from.

Neil Critchley would be one name I'd suggest. Good young coach who had two seasons with Blackpool before joining Gerrard at Villa. Young coaches though will likely see international football as a backwards career move though.

Wilder is a more experienced coach that's available and if 500k a year is still available then Hill could try tempt him. After his Boro spell his stock will have fallen a bit and Hill could try pitch to him that Ireland might be the opportunity to getting offers for another club job.

Someone on YBIG threw out Steve Holland's name given Hill's connections with the English FA. Long time assistant manager with Chelsea from 2011 to 2017, and has been an assistant to Southgate since he started working with the U21s. If England change managers after the WC someone like that would suit the FAI as he's gonna be cheap.

Issue is we've got the group of death for the Euros and both France and Holland in September. Might be hard to convince someone to come in before September if Kenny gets the sack. Think there best bet atm is find a replacement for Eustace and it also gives you a plan B if an interim coach is needed after the first couple of games.

He’s used players that literally any other manager would have used. He hasn’t uncovered any gems, or improved a single Irish player. If anything they have regressed under him. Nathan Collins is a top prospect in England, he looks like a bag of nerves for Ireland.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

How many competitive games did they play under Mick? 4 of the 6 i named i believe were capped by Kenny. He moved on many and refreshed the squad. Im defending what hes tried to do with the squad, he should be doing bettee with in game management and his subs.

The people who hate Kenny are equally hilarious and cant bring themselves to say a good word about him. First it was just about results, then when he got results it was about the performance.

Yeah he was an absolute bag of nerves in Ukraine alright......

Id argue Jamie McGrath was an undiscovered gem by our standards. The great Eamon Dunphy hadnt heard of him before the portugal game along with many posters here.

What results has he got?? He’s had 30 games and won 8. Refreshed the squad? Average age of the starting 11 today was 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Go and give Jim Goodwin a call tonight . He won’t break the bank either

What results did Mick get to warrent staying on? You could play this game all day depending on what side of thw coin you are.

Ok the average age was 28. Compare the average number of caps versus any of Micks last game, i would bet its far lower.

• Advertisement

Jim probably isnt a bad shout but i dont see any manager touching the Ireland job until the Euros campaign is over. We more than likely are in a fight to finish 3rd so why would anyone want to start off with fans with over inflated expectations bitching about us finishing where we should finish?

In his last campaign, where he knew Kenny was being parachuted in over him, and with the pre-Covid proviso of games in Dublin. Mick only lost 1 game vs the top 2 seeds. And got us within 1 goal of automatic qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You seem to be scraping the barrel a bit to talk Kenny up, to be honest. ‘Average age’ seems to be your main argument.

As for Mick part 2 he had the team organised. And conceded very few goals. Fantastic defensive record.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So its gone from young players to "uncapped" players.

The Kenny diehards bring more entertainment than Kenny's actual Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Going well with Aberdeen atm and the chance of European football next season. Highly doubtful he'll jump ship from club football this early in his career.

I am just watching the Kenny Post Match Malta press conference on FAI TV.

One bit that stood out to me was he described the Norway game as ‘high intensity’ and took a lot out of the players. Then they had a ‘tough’ Malta away game.

Now, whatever about calling Malta ‘tough’. Was I watching a different Norway game? Because high intensity would not be the two words I would use to describe it!

3rd is definitely an overinflated expectation.

Well clearly it’s both. He’s capped players and he’s given previously capped young players regular experience.

Why does he get no credit for that, but Mick gets credit for playing these lads a couple of times?

But at the end of the day lost out because he couldnt beat Georgia and the football was dire, i didnt watch most of the games.

Its very easy to have a good defensive record when you have no interest in attacking.

Im defending what Kenny has done with the squad and the amount of young players he has capped. Results were always going to be mixed when you do that and they have been terribly inconsistent. The amount of us all here bitching about Hendrick but at least hes no longer a guarenteed starter ( as bad as it is that he came off the bench the last 2 games).

• Advertisement

And the so called pro Kenny people get accused of nonsense arguements...

He deserves some but he gets a ridiculous amount as if he is responsible for their career. Regardless of manager Bazunu and Collins would have displaced Randolph and Duffy by now simply look at their career trajectories.

Last international window someone tried to credit Kenny with making Bazunu a Premier League starter by playing him for Ireland FFS.

And his handling of Ferguson, Sykes and Smallbone these 2 games isn't exactly a great endorsement for youth/new blood getting a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's crazy to me how completely all the winging and moaning and gnashing of teeth from Kenny fielding young squads early on has seemingly been forgotten, and now it's portrayed as if anyone would've done the same. The fckin amount of posts on here crying about how "senior football is for the proven senior players", demanding the old heads be the ones to play instead of bedding in the younger ones.

Well, we are definitely in a better position for having the young guys all well bedded in now - particularly when the consensus is the previous lads (that so many demanded should keep their places) are mostly rubbish. Even if Kenny got sacked in the morning and someone else came in, they will have benefitted hugely from having a tonne of kids with proper first team experience together. I've a tonne of problems and questions and critiques with respect to Kenny, but to not grant that clear and obvious fact is mad.

On the next campaign, we have a decent plan of action for the Netherlands and France games now. What we do against the good teams is about as good as we'll find. What he desperately needs to do is figure out a better (and different) formation to be confident of beating Greece twice.

Mick was playing to his teams strengths (defence) which is what good managers do, while masking deficiencies- (scoring goals)

This meant make the team hard to beat and play for set pieces.

You say you didn’t watch most of Mick’s tenure yet somehow seem to try and imply it was useless. More often than not Mick had Ireland as no push overs for any team. Despite their limitations goalscoring wise.

I get the impression from your posts that you don’t want to move away from your original dream - that Kenny would have Ireland playing like Barcelona under Pep, full of kids.

But the reality is far different Ireland are now easier to play against than any time since the 1960’s.

Slow side to side in their own half no real threat, no real urgency, no constant closing down.

Poor on set pieces both attacking and defending. Not many goals scored. The team has been castrated in a football sense. No balls, no fight and no direction.

Worst of all the matches are dull for the most part. So it is a bit of the worst of everything.

To be honest, I'd be astonished if Bazunu being a first choice international keeper didn't help significantly with his career. He went straight from a League One player to Premier League starter - I would be very confident the fact he had the performances he did against some decent international teams played a part in Southampton figuring he was worth making their Number 1. I mean, to argue otherwise, is to argue that the highest standard of games he had played in was not at all relevent to his move.

Likewise, it's bound to have helped someone like Omobamidele (who got his first premier league start after Kenny started him) and even Molumby, who was on the outs at club level for Brighton, but got exposure at international level.

To think International Exposure doesn't at all impact club perceptions seems a bit mad, given how many different moves have taken place across loads of countries and teams and leagues off the back of some good international matches. We're likely to see more than a few examples this coming January sure, off the back of who impresses in Qatar.

Ok well then to be honest, do you also think Kenny helped Romeo Lavia make his move from Man City reserves to starter for Southampton? Or that Kenny helped Juan Larios and Sam Edozie get their moves from City to the Southampton bench?

I'd personally think all 4 moves were heavily influenced by City's former head of youth development moving to Southampton to be their overall head of recruitment, rather than the powers of Stephen Kenny.

A great example of Kenny being bizarely over-credited.

• Advertisement

Did Mick's approach not basically show us that unless you can find a way to score goals, you can defend as well as you like and still go nowhere? Ultimately, it got him to a position where we had a few opportunities to go through, if we could only score a few goals. But, well, we couldn't score a few goals.

Football seems to have moved on, to where an entirely defensive team that can't score will simply be neutered. We had to find a way to offer a threat or we were doomed from the start. That's at least what Kenny has tried, and if he fails in the end, that's what the next person will have to try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think he would have to think very seriously about it if offered . Only 12 months ago he was st Mirren manager and the nature of club football is in 6 months time if he’s had a bad run he could be looking for a job at teams like Inverness and St Johnstone .

Sometimes managers have to strike while the iron is hot and their reputation is in the up . He knows the chance might never come again .

I might agree with you if Bazunu was bought as a punt for the bench. But he was bought to be their number 1 starter. Let's not pretend that it's the same thing to be bought as a sub option, and to be bought as the clubs starting goalkeeper - obviously an absolutely key, league defining position.

Fair enough but you can only work with the tools that are available.

Kenny is trying to do it the other way around. But the tools are not there. He is trying to paint like Da Vinci while using a wall paint roller.

And is starting holding midfielder not a key position? Lavia displaced Romeu to be the number 1 DM (Romeu then sold so they couldn't reverse the call) as a starting outfielder with absolutely no experience.

Southampton signed 2 starters and 2 punts.

Kenny is equally as responsible for Lavia as he is Bazunu as both had identical moves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement