Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

Just regarding turf harvesting, will be a lot harder to do with bog drainage taken out

The Oireachtas Joint Committee on Environment and Climate Action has recommended “the ending of drainage of peatlands and peat soils for agriculture” in a new report on biodiversity, launched today (Thursday, November 17) at Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The kind that will be paying a fortune to keep warm this Winter and relying on a Winter sun to heat their water, while others will be toasting themselves in front of a lovely fire that has cost them nothing that is also heating their water.

I have been around for a fair few years and it`s a long time since I`ve seen so much turf cut and saved as this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scram The sudden shutting down of a nuclear reactor, usually by rapid insertion of control rods, either automatically or manually by the reactor operator. Also known as a "reactor trip".

Here's how many happen a year in the US. It varies between a SCRAM per reactor every 18 months to one every 2.5 years.

They are unplanned outages with no notice and generally total loss of power, AND if you can't get the reactor backup again soon enough it will have to stay offline for several days because of things like Xenon poisoning.

Nuclear is absolutely reliant on backup and reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Ive had just about enough of yr ramblings. Im biting my tongue because your proposed solutions concerning renewables and batteries has such a high entropy factor that only incompetent and totally biased green advocates would put those ideas forward. I suggest a proper understanding of physics is in order. In short: you are deluding yourself. Now, i dont know if you are aware of this and deliberately put up smokescreens to mask your ignorance or that you have picked some numbers to make an equation work to reach a desired outcome. What we call, cooking the books. Seems to me a speciality of green advocates..

Edit: your posts are not always complete nonsense but it is just the way you skewe the particulars. I see this all the time. You might make a valid point but then propose the wrong solution to the wrong problem. For instance: you should see the grid and the interconnectors in a holistic way, one with many variables in a trade off system and look for the best outcome in the most efficient, lowest entropic way. With proper cost/benefit calculations. This obsession with renewables pushes a proper outcome to the side and leads to unwarranted biases. It is this element that irks me most of all.

Post edited by deholleboom on

There is no need for you to apologise, and I do not know what you are happy about.

Anybody that wants to buy turf has no difficulty finding a seller and no carbon tax to pay. Thanks to green energy policy there will be more turf burned this year than there has been in a long time, and a lot of new people engaged in an outdoor activity that is not just good for their health but good for their pocket as well.

Sneer away all you want. Those you are sneering at are laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I agree. I saw more turf being carted around today than i have in a long time when i was driving through the countryside. Even cars with trailer loads.

DaCor won’t be happy and i certainly won’t be apologising for that, tough 😉

With commercial operations shutting down there might be a load available this year, but that's it. After that it the folks with turbary rights only

In my experience most turf is traded privately. I don’t think a retail ban will have much effect. I don’t burn turf personally but I know the guys locally from whom I’d be able to pick some up tomorrow if I needed to, and to whom a retail ban will make no difference.

i would love to see the bogs rewetted but the focus needs to be on incentivising the landowners to rewet rather than an effort to cut off the sale of turf, which will have very little effect in practice in rural regions

You`re still not deluding yourself that Ryan`s nonsense you supported of those with turbary rights living in communities of 500 plus not being allowed to sell or gift turf is included in that legislation do you ?

This legislation is a financial boom for anybody with turbary rights

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When have I proposed batteries as a viable solution for grid level storage ? It's a strawman being proposed by nuclear supporters because it is still expensive. But costs have dropped 90% in a decade and are still dropping.

I've shown that other countries have months of relatively cheap grid scale gas storage in place already, (though the gas itself isn't cheap)

With that scale of storage intermittency isn't a biggie. And it's not the only option as a mix would be used. But it sets a lower limit on what we should pay, and even with a 60% loss round trip loss at peak times it's cheaper than nuclear.

We can't continue to use fossil fuels.

Nuclear won't arrive in time , won't be cheap , won't be reliable , won't be flexible. It's a solution looking for a problem and large handouts.

• Advertisement

The sale of turf is already cut off, for all except those with turbary rights. There's a good few of those but not many who will be selling as much as the commercial operators used to. Natural attrition will see those dwindle in numbers as time goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Unless they buy big digging equipment. I thought commercial bogs were already hamstrung to those with the rights.

Ah. You are showing your hand and it actually underpins my point. "We cant continue using fossil fuels" and "nuclear wont arrive in time".

It is clear you buy the whole climate panic, Co2 emissions targets, 2030 agenda and renewables as the immediate way forward, hence your comments. You are coming from a highly popular and biased position. The science, even the IPCC does not support it. It is skewed beyond belief. You just refuse to see it. That is a choice btw.

There is also a clear contradiction in yr post. The grid relies on gas storage (or coal which is way worse). So far so good. Now, get rid of the gas like you seem to want and yr scheme falls apart no matter how many batteries and renewables you throw at it even IF you miraculously double the grid infra structure overnight. And reject any role of nuclear power.You are and will always be dependent on fossil fuels. There simply can not be a transition. THAT is what the greens dont get. And you cant have it both ways.

Im done..

Post edited by deholleboom on

Until they exhaust their plot at which point the turbary rights are exhausted along with the turf.

If anything they would hasten the demise of turf burning by going that route. Still the same amount overall, just would be burned through faster

So wait were saying a tax or taxes are supposed to stop outright you doing something legal ? vs curb behaviour ? That would mean tax on cars means no cars only electric. Carbon taxes you don't produce carbon.

It should also be noted, unless legislation has been updated turbary rights apply to the usage of a single home only and do not allow for the sale of harvested turf, at least that was the law in 2018,maybe that's been updated as part of the smoky fuels ban, no idea

I await the 24/7 Garda coverage of this area. You know forgetting about murder all that.

It should also be noted that you haven`t mentioned from that letter the sentence highlighted.

"A right of turbary in relation to bogland in its simplest form means the right to cut and carry away turf from a specific plot of bogland and includes the right of preparing and storing on the bogland any turf you cut from it"

Now you are just chasing your tail. That green legislation is not going to ever stop as much as a single sod of turf being burned.

It just gives those you sneer at a laugh sitting in front of their lovely cozy fires on a bitter cold Winter night.

Is Eamon Ryan still burning wood do you know ?

I recall an articles not that long ago on the extension to his house which far as remember had an open fireplace and a stove.in which he said he burned wood that he bought from somewhere in Wicklow I think. Burning wood is still fine under that green legislation faik as long as it comes supplied with a piece of paper explaining how to burn it is it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Eamon Ryan wants us to hand over money to countries allegedly impacted by climate change.

The sooner these clowns are cleaned out of office the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

At COP It looks like they have given up reducing emissions and now want to adapt to climate change by compensating by paying off countries for the damage.

It's a fantastic outcome, this opens up great opportunities for economic growth. Our funding will, no doubt, be funnelled through ngos that can ensure the right oversight and that the money isn't spent , at least directly, on things such as nuclear weapons programs, space programs, air power and aircraft carriers (looking at you India and pakistan tut tut).

Our ngos and hangers on are beyond reproach and will do a great job.

The benefits of this approach also means great profits can be made by continuing carbon trading in the meantime to ensure we don't get too hot and bothered by extreme global heating.

We can also help by shifting their surplus populations to western countries where we are rolling out clean energy production such as off shore wind turbines etc etc. In return we get more consumers strengthening our economy and ability to pay compensation. Perfect circular economy

Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Eamon Ryan brings 55 of his cronies representing private school and Dublin south ideals to COP all paid for by the taxpayer. I suppose they are all offsetting their carbon output by planting a tree in the desert while out there. What a bunch of bullshitters they really are

It is inevitable. Every year the COP get together will result in, surprise, surprise, Co2 emissions curb has again failed to materialise. Then even more stringent emission cuts proposed with again, a pushback and again the same old tiresome reaction fron the media. Like some sad annual circus w diminishing returns. And nobody doing a system analysis but w more and more third world countries on the money train milking the colonial shame cow. I propose an addition: celebs public self flaggelation, medieval style. Di Caprio and Thunberg first, then Obama, Gates, Gore and so on. I even have a name for it: GORE FEST, the inconvenient new attraction. Then i will even watch it. Hell, I'll even make a donation. And let the celebs cycle and/or row to the location first. And make them live in mud huts and produce their own fuel using renewable windmills and solar panels made from anything they like, instead of flying and staying in luxury suites or boats with their expensive crew signalling their virtue and beating each other on the chest...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cop 27 35000 attendees, 36 private jets into sharm el sheikh, 64 private jets into Cairo..........

says everything about cop 27

edit :missed a nought off the attendees

Post edited by ednwireland on

yeh, I’m not sure you understand that a lot of carbon trading and offsets only reduce emissions on paper, not actual emissions. Serious concern has been expressed at COP that there is now more focus on carbon accounting than reducing emissions. And accounting reductions will do nothing except tick boxes and let corporate bosses off the hook and create a new income stream

that you think this COP has been a ‘win win’, contrary to all ‘expert’ and activist reaction who think it’s been a failure, shows that (like so many others) you’re only about the optics and the trolling.

1.5 is dead and the focus now seems to be on massaging the numbers and some future fund, the contributors to which have yet to be decided. It’s an utter waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is more or less what I took from his interview this morning:

The ordinary middle income tax payer will be screwed with additional taxes and have costs imposed on them to change their homes on cars.

The beneficiaries will be those 'less well off'. In Irish terms, Eamon means those on social welfare and in local authority housing etc. Many of whom, but not all, contribute little to the running of the state. Whilst internationally, we'll hand over taxpayer funded compensation or redress money to other states.

Net benefit to ordinary middle income tax payer is paltry, as no particular reduction in the emissions from the huge polluters. Ever feel like you're being put over a barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

The impression I get of irish politicians is think of everyone else but the actual people that voted you into government and the citizens they represent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Advertisement