Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 18,659 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I think this was the real reason. They were bringing him on as a 'controversialist' or 'sensationalist' to boost their ratings (and totally underestimating how dangerous such a figure might be to Britain in the long term). They don't come out of this at all well.....it must have been obvious to most people outside the right wing bubble by 2015 or 2016 he was little more than an articulate and polished BNP or National Front type.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The result isn't in doubt:

Depending on how winter goes, I think we could have an election within the next 6 months.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Impossible to tell the veracity of this story but one can imagine the ERG going into total meltdown if there's any substance to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So they're considering a type of relationship that the EU have said they wont repeat?

• Advertisement

Indeed, the EU said they found the arrangement very messy and complicated - a country being half in and half out of the Single Market with constant haggling and mini disputes (and that with a country well disposed towards the EU).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And not only that; it's cake in the sky again of "We pick some of the freedoms but not others" as well (note the freedom of trade but not freedom of people etc.) while Riki does his first Boris in Ukraine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

It's a start toward pragmatism at least, and should be viewed positively in my opinion.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Each Swiss 100+ agreements appears separate and alone, but most are guillotine interlocked meaning if one is broken all will cease to exist. This has a major negative effect on cost/human effort needed for maintenance (changing/renegotiation) of the treaty complex. Being a one off treaty complex makes it for this reason alone special and more expensive to overlook, which require scarce qualified EU resources.

It also have had the effect that some in Switzerland thought, they could change one point without respect for the interlock. They even had and won a referendum on abolishing FoM for people, while the other three FoMs should remain. 

The EU flatly refused.

The EU insist on having all points under the same and only framework 'umbrella' - and association treaty where all common text are is written e.g. conflict resolution. It will then be obvious that opening one point for renegotiation will open all of the treaty.

Not least as small member states is it clearly in our interest to have fair and equal rules, which are not more bureaucratic than absolutely needed.

Lars 😀

PS! The WA/NIP has been agree, signed and ratified and should not be reopened. The practical problems, that can be solved within a Brexit world, should be dealt with in the 'Joint Committee' - end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The starting point of any international trade agreement has to start with the current political/socio economic/humanitarian and indeed chess piece position. So when we hear about media sound bites regarding the UK and it’s ability to negotiate trade agreements to their benefit in light speed time is akin to a poor leaving cert concern debating team who are Uber confident taking on the Ursuline convent.

Notwithstanding the fact that the Brits had no experts in international trade negotiations relying on EU experts and their silver bullet was bringing in Canadians to negotiate on their behalf https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/15/uk-canada-advice-post-brexit-trade-deals-eu-ceta

But the UK were not starting from a blank canvass. Firstly, any trade agreement was going to be hampered by the fact that the trading partner was more than likely going to have a pre existing agreement with the EU. So that potential partner would be considering how the EU would adversely pull back If they agreeed a more lucrative deal with the UK. Furthermore the EU would be able to supply more products and services at better rates and better standards as there is a much larger pool and the fact the EU have existing trade agreements with worldwide partners for the source products.

Also the EU banking system and investment market and third country banking system with AsIa, americas, Australia etc means that the payment of products and service is less volatile.

Also, the fact that the UK is potentially going to flagrantly breach an international peace agreement like the GFA which is held as sacrosanct by the EU and indeed the US and can be seen as the watershed by the international community in the Ukraine illegal war means trade agreements with the UK will take longer than the plot line of a Ross Rachel on a break story.

Now honestly I’m sick to my back teeth trying to explain this and called an operation fear advocate from the beginning so I’m going to leave facts;

But even better is a caller who schooled the great James O Brien on international trade in 2018. Fcucking 4 years ago. Let that sink in

https://youtu.be/TNduNUvyq-8

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's like we're back in 2017. Once again, the Tory press are running stories about a Tory faction's proposal for a relationship with the EU without mentioning the obvious issue; is there even the remotest chance that this proposal would be acceptable to the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

And the Ukrainian war took away his backup income as a Russian agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Just as we're all horrified by Russian aggression in Ukraine and have rightly imposed sanctions, some EU counties are backsliding on this because of the financial affects which possibly indicates principles are compromised if the real world situation dictates this.

What I'm trying to say is if it suits the EU to consider a request for a closer relationship with the UK it will probably happen imo.A Labour government would hopefully be viewed more favourably by the EU which would help possible negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

There is zero appetite in the EU27 for replicating the contractual mess that is the EU-Switzerland relationship with any other country, still less with as large an economy, and as troubled a socio-political construct as the UK (England, really).

There’s also no appetite in the EU27 for the UK to ‘rejoin’ (variable geometry verb) short-term. That has been messaged consistently and comprehensively for a good couple of years now by the EU Commission, EU Parliament types and national Ministers (mostly France and Germany, to be fair), quoted in interviews or relayed by insiders via e.g. Twitter and other platforms, incl. broadsheets.

There is just too little trust and residual goodwill. The UK’s got a ton of bridges, big ones, to rebuild first. That begins by honouring and implementing what they signed up to several years ago now. And that will bring some more economic pain I’m afraid.

Labour, assuming they get in at the next GE, has got its work cut out…but they’re still in Red Wall Brexit voter-appeasing mode, so it’s not looking good for them nor for the UK. In the meantime, investment and market development choices get continually made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, back in the real world, 'hope is not a strategy.' The UK are out of the EU. They've not applied to rejoin, so they must go, on bended knee with hat in hand, to the EU for dispensations, which is not guaranteed due to the veto powers of the EU members.

This 'Swiss agreement' stuff is just tabloid fodder; people will be stealing and burning UK papers to keep warm this winter I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

but in the horizon program i think they already have a swiss stlye deal ...

https://www.euronews.com/2022/11/10/uk-and-switzerland-sign-deal-on-scientific-research-amid-horizon-snub

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Again, what is the UK prepared to offer in return? This never gets mentioned or discussed. It is always that the UK will offer this great new hope to the EU, who (since they need us more than we need them) will gladly accept this.

The UK are still negotiating with themselves

well switzerland is also negotiating with themselves . both dont really want it but understand they need it ....

That link reports about a UK-CH deal outside of the EU Horizon programme, not ‘in it’.

Switzerland have relented on the extra payment (over and above its ‘associate membership fee’, to call it that) required to take part in the EU’s Horizon programme, after getting the cold shoulder for 3 years.

The fact that the EU was quite content to keep the Swiss out whilever they refused to pay up for their Horizon club membership, tells you all you need to know about how much the EU27 ‘needed’ Switzerland in it.

Whilst this kinda reads onto the UK’s negotiating-with-itself, this development after 3 years of it, marks an end to it.

The UK has yet to reach the ‘end of the beginning’ stage, so it seems highly premature (not to say most ill advised) to keep drawing parallels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Or an even more basic question - is there even the remotest chance that this proposal would be acceptable to the Tory party?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not really Brexit related but curious what countries are "backsliding"/"compromising their principles" on Ukraine do you think?

Hungary is not "backsliding" for any economic reasons if that is the country you are thinking of. It has nowhere to backslide to!

Orbán is (and always was) pretty much allied with Russia/Putin and only reason he didn't frustrate the first lots of EU sanctions when the war started was he had a crucial election coming up and played it a bit carefully at home where there was shock & very strong public anger with Russia.

Now he is secure at home the mask is (back) off and he is just straight up vetoing everything he can in the EU to aid Russia, and keeping Sweden/Finland out of NATO as well. I don't believe they will move on this - certainly not as long as Turkey holds out too to give them some cover.

edit: Don't think any of this has much relevance to EUs relationship with UK anyway. On that, I doubt a new, probably acrimonious and bandwidth-consuming period of detailed negotiations & "haggling" with UK over shape of the relationship is going to start again, i.e. a kind of rerun of the tedious years leading up to end of transition period.

I don't think the EU have time for more of that, or ability to concentrate on it, too much very serious stuff going on.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

i belive they are both outside horizon as we speak so the have the same non deal ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The lengths that Brexiteers go to so that they can talk about everything except Brexit never ceases to amaze me. Distract , deflect, whatabout ad nauseum. As if they give a damn about the Horizon programme.

Peter, I misread your earlier posts, that is now clear from your latest. Yours are fair points.

I was reading last night that the Times may have completely misunderstood what was being discussed. Apparently, some specific aspect of the Swiss-EU relationship had been floated but their journalists had misinterpreted this and assumed it meant replicating the entire Swiss - EU deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's absolutely laughable at the idea that the EU would reject the UK proposal. This is the same EU that handed the UK a deal at the last minute, a deal that allows London continue as if it never left, a deal that allowed the UK break with respect to the NIP and allows the UK to demand visas for EU citizens crossing the Irish border sowing uncertainty for tourists and those travelling to Donegal.

If the EU hold all the cards against the UK, then they certainly are allowing the UK walk all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Almost every bit of this is just pure fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Switzerland is well disposed towards the EU and wants to be close to them and even 'that' deal has run into a fair few problems, because the terms are so messy and complicated and several mini disputes have occurred over implementation.

The idea that the much more Europhobic and antagonistic Brexit UK could get an identical deal with the EU Single Market seems a bit far fetched (potential for numerous big rows further down the line about what had been actually agreed or not agreed).

Advertisement