Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nighttime22

If it gets us a pat on the back or any bit of praise at all, we ll fall over ourselves to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

In a very short space of time some boardsies were able to do some googling and get some Info. "Journalists" only push out press releases these days. A free and fair media is a cornerstone of democracy.

We have a terrible situation where people fleeing what, to me, looks like genocide are competing with economic migrants who are not being vetted. Changes to the system and process is needed. But the media is holding this back by essentially, unwittingly or otherwise, pulling the wool over people's eyes by reporting non Ukrainian refugees as Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

There's a rotten feeling to connected individuals making a fortune from this. They probably celebrated together when they saw the first bus pull up. Money in the pocket. These individuals surely live far away from East Wall and couldn't give a flying phuck about the locals

Gather your information and send it to only one or two journalists and see what happens.

Promise exclusivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nice to see so many people, particularly women, supporting single straight men and their right to move into a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not only that, those super sleuthing citizen journalists were able to find out top secret facts that the conspirators didn't want you to know.

Well "secret" as in publicly available, but never mind that.

Next we'll be hearing how a contract to provide meals was awarded to a large catering company rather than Mary sitting in her kitchen in Ballygobackward who can just about make her own dinner every day. I smell a rat.

dubious legal right to be here

Care to regale us all with tales of your legal knowledge on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

What is your connection to the welfare tourist industry?

Political or economical?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I once attended an event for the Wild Atlantic Way.

Does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Everything’s above board as always in Little old Ireland. Move along folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

The Temporary Protection Directive has been around since 2001 and apparently was introduced following the 1990s issues in Yugoslavia. However, it doesn't appear to have been used before the Ukraine crisis, notwithstanding the refugee crises that have occurred in the last 20 years. The Council of the EU decision made on foot of the TPD is classified as 2022/382. This decision was adopted following a proposal from the European Commission and only 10 days after Russia invaded Ukraine which is a bit suspicious that this was pretty much ready to go notwithstanding that the scale of the crisis could not have been known. Especially when we consider that the Council of the EU and European Commission are not directly elected by the citizens of Europe.

Per 2022/382, the number of refugees to cross into the EU was anticipated to be up to 6.5 million but as low as 1.2 million; as of October 2022 the number is estimated to be at 7.6 million.

In terms of the meaning of "temporary", 2022/382 provides;

"In accordance with Directive 2001/55/EC, the duration of temporary protection should be for an initial period of one year. Unless terminated under the terms of Article 6(1), point (b), of that Directive, that period should be extended automatically by six monthly periods for a maximum of one year. The Commission will keep the situation under constant monitoring and review. At any time, it may propose to the Council to end the temporary protection, based on the fact that the situation in Ukraine is such as to permit the safe and durable return of those granted temporary protection, or propose that the Council extend the temporary protection by up to one year.".

The initial temporary period is due to end in the next 3 months and the numbers fleeing the crisis have ballooned far beyond estimates; yet I still see government politicians acting as if the temporary period is no where near ending and I have seen limited debate in government on whether the scale of what we have taken on is sustainable (that word that apparently only gets wheeled out to shame citizens, not act in their best interests).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do you support corporate welfare in the form of government contracts dished out to struggling commercial landlords?

while simultaneously destroying tourism, adding to the welfare burden and changing demographics and our society and culture overnight

So your "proof" of dubious legal basis is to show that you are well aware of the actual irrefutable concrete legal basis. Is the issue that the words are too big so that you can't understand them?

If my memory is correct, Ireland signed up to said Directive even though it initially did not

Did that commercial premises in East Wall attract a substantial proportion of our tourists?

Normally when I get visitors I might bring them to see Trinity College or the Guinness Storehouse or bring them to Connemara or Killarney or even up to the Giants Causeway. I never thought to bring them to East Wall

We have to deal with them once they are here.

You might be personally pushing for each and every refugee and asylum seeker to be given their own walk in-house but I am not. I'm have no problem seeing them accommodated in a commercial facility once it can provide basic comforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Asylum seekers need more than just shelter - they need food, water, access to facilities such as medical services, education, etc etc

Where are they going to get that based in a commercial unit in east wall? Services that are heavily oversubscribed as it is? Very recent report in the last week details how over half of schools in Dublin cannot fully staff their school - and you think its fine to throw more students into the mix?

That's fine Timmy. There are plenty of others like you that also want, for example, the end of Direct Provision. Not to "get rid" of asylum seekers, but so that they have to be immediately given a free house and immediate access to full social welfare etc.

I don't agree with you. A commercial facility that provides the basics is enough in my book.

if only it was just East Wall.

But you know its not, you know hotels are filling up, so why be so deliberately dishonest. Here are just a few

All of that for welfare state shoppers. I`d wager that the 40% of people arriving without documents are disproportionately among the single male cohorts rather than among the genuine Ukrainian women and children

• Advertisement

So you are yet another sneaky member of the "let them all in brigade" who wants to get replace all such Direct Provision measures with immediate personal housing in "the community" and full access to social welfare.

I know what you are at. Even though you might try to dress it up as something else. Given that we have to look after those people while they are processed, those are the two options - Direct Provision or "full social welfare + free houses". Given you don't want the former, you necessarily want the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

That's interesting. In retrospect it was amazing how quickly the flags and advertisements for #I stand with Ukraine came out. God help the poor people of Ukraine and the donbas region too but it seemed that there was very little discussion at the time wider than Putin = Hitler. I recall no discussion of the massive increase in ceasefire violations for eight continuous days prior to the invasion.

The Russian and Western media tell very different stories. I don't know what the heck is going on but I would like transparency and honesty from our elected officials.

The Temporary Protection Directive is preferable to the alternative - which would be for them to come in under International Protection system

That said, Ukrainians could also avail of the latter as it is if they wanted to. However that would have long term implications for Ireland and short term disadvantages for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

delete

It is a bigger question than you are appreciating; is this TPD a legitimate legal basis for what is happening now? Sure, prima facie. But I think it is questionable how what is happening now can be justified based on the TPD - there is a tenuous due process involved in the decision to open borders and cheque books. Hiding behind this 20 year old TPD rather than invoking a newly developed, fully accountable piece of law is where my issue lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Over €6,000,000 paid since Feb to hoteliers in Donegal to house Ukranians.

While the County falls apart with Mica

🤔

It's an EU Directive. It was passed in 2001. You have no legal basis for your assertion that it is "dubious". In fact, Ireland actually had a derogation from it, along with the UK, but opted to voluntarily sign up to it later.

The reason for its creation was precisely in case such a scenario ever arose. Thankfully it hasn't until now.

The alternative is, anyway, to be swamped with refugees seeking International Protection. If the Temporary Directive was suddenly revoked tomorrow, every Ukrainian in Ireland still has the option to seek IP. Any other Ukrainian who could get to Ireland could also seek IP here. And they would be virtually guaranteed to get it. So you'd have swapped a temporary situation for a permanent one. That may indeed be your intention. But I prefer for them not to have permanent status here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Bang on. The situation of hundreds of thousands not wanting to work, due to the generous welfare system. Mostly Irish, is a massive problem. It needs to be sorted... getting workers in , to work minimum wage jobs, at a massive cost. While the natives sit on their ass also at a massive cost to the state, us... is absolutely criminal..

Just FYI for when you are posting about individuals and companies. You might think that unless you say something explicitly that you cannot get in trouble for it. But there two types of innuendo which can lead to actionable defamation claims. So you can actually be done for implying things without saying them directly.

None of my business what you do, just thought I'd let you know. It would be between you and boards.ie and whoever might take an action. Just some information for you that you can ignore or take on board. Up to you

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

You're backed into a corner and now talking crap.

These are public registers and there is no innuendo in the post, just highlighting that more information on the activities of Quanta can be found from looking at Goldstein ICAV which is involved in property investments. In fact, I am explicitly pointing out the individuals that are not worth looking at as they are just directors-for-hire.

Advertisement