Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone and Google Nest

Options
  • 19-11-2022 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭

I moved over to Vodafone SIRO during the week, also got a Nest router and point. I was hoping to connect the Nest router directly to the ONT and not use the Vodafone Gigabox at all. I spent hours yesterday trying to get this set up but couldn't get an internet connection. I tried a combination of pppoe credentials, must have reset the router 10 times and just could not get an internet connection. Am I correct in thinking this should work? The Nest router now supports the necessary VLAN tagging as far as I know. Any ideas what the problem could be?

I gave up for the time being and have the Nest connected to the Gigabox with WiFi turned off on the Gigabox. All seems to be working fine. Will this cause any problems down the line if I leave it like this?

I also forgot Vodafone force whatever DNS is on their router onto all devices on the network, even if you set a different DNS on devices manually. Is there anyway around this in my scenario? I use some unblocking DNS on streaming devices, but don't won't to use them on the whole network.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Anyone any ideas in relation to the DNS settings? Or would I be as well cancelling under the cooling off and getting another provider in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Are you using VFs TV package? Or just internet only?

What user/pass/VLANID did you set on the Nest device?

Thanks for the reply

Just using the broadband. No TV or phone.

I tried a few different username/passwords I found online. vodafone@vodafone.ie and serielnumber@vfieftth.ie and broadband as the password. Never got the option to set a VLANID.

From looking at the Google support page for VLAN on the Nest Wifi it sounds like it should just work once it's supported by the Nest, and that supports 2, 7 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Schorpio

This person reported success with the serialnumber username - I'm guessing you've seen that.

I'm just going to ask the obvious, did you use the text "serialnumber" or did you use the actual serial number of your unit?

I used the actual serial number off the Gigabox, 14 digit mix of numbers and letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Did you guys see any evidence that NEST supports VLAN tagging now?

I’ve seen numerous post on this forum were people couldn’t get it working with Irish FTTH ( regardless of ISP) . Surely not all of them were useless noobs ?

ps. Just get managed network switch at Amazon , they do support VLAN tagging ( place it between ONT and NEST). You could always return it for free in 30 days if bought direct from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

My point exactly.Have you seen ANY successful example using NEST with VLAN tagging in Ireland ? I’ve only seen complaints on the Boards that people couldn’t get it going.

Never tried to get it working, didn't know it was supported so have a managed switch. I suppose that now it's working, I could just try plugging the Nest directly into the ONT and see what happens. I'll try that and report back later.

The pppoe logon details you have are correct, the actual serial number is what's required.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm interested in how you get on connecting directly to the ONT as you have it working currently with the managed switch.

I seem to have got it working how I wanted, just with the Vodafone router between the Nest and ONT. WiFi and DNS turned off on the Vodafone router, Nest is handling that. The mesh seems to be working fine between the router and point upstairs. I've my DDNS set up on the Vodafone router to update my IP address for unblocking services. Is there any downside to leaving it like this that I'm not aware of?

• Advertisement

Is there any downside to leaving it like this that I'm not aware of?

Using two routers at once ?

Double NAT .

Managed switch definitely better option if NEST couldn't handle VLAN tagging itself.

Would using a managed switch not essentially be the same as putting the Gigabox into bridge mode?

I'm interested in how you get on connecting directly to the ONT as you have it working currently with the managed switch.

Doesn't appear to work.

Is double nat mostly a problem for online gaming or if you want to connect to something on your network from outside? The online gaming seems to be working ok. Xbox showing open NAT and the kids where playing online on the Xbox and PS yesterday evening without problems.

Not trying to dismiss your advice but I have DDNS set up on the Vodafone router and there doesn't seem to be an option to set this up on the Nest. Another thing I forgot is Vodafone refresh your IP address at least once a day so that DDNS saves a lot of headaches with my DNS unblocking service.

Sorry for all the questions. Networking was always one thing that went over my head.

What exactly to bridge though?

If you're with VDSL or Virgin cable you could bridge their Hub to use it only as a MODEM.

IN Siro or OpenEir Gigabox doesn't have a modem, it is only a router , nothing to bridge.

ONT - that what you could call a modem in this setup.You throwing away one router and replacing it with different one.

Don't disagree at all!

But bridge mode would just bridge the WAN port with whatever is plugged into the LAN surely? In which instance you would have the ONT as the modem, the Nest as the router, and the Gigabox would have the same role as a managed switch?

Or perhaps it's the case that the Gigabox will only bridge VDSL connections? Genuinely don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Darren_walsh51

Hi guys, Did anyone get this working while removing Double NAT. I found that the Google wifi mesh network will slowly degrade of time and the nest wifi will go offline from time to time due to the double NAT issue.

I got a managed switch and set up VLAN 10 (TP Link TL-SG108E) and set ports 1 and 2 to VLAN 10 (screenshots attached).

Plugged the SIRO cable to port 1 and port 2 to the WAN port on the Nest Wifi router.

Then I reset the nest WIFI router and on setup it wouldnt connect to the internet. Selected PPPoE and inputted username myserialNumber@vfiefttc.ie and password broadband

Still wouldnt connect to the network.

I've spent hours playing around with this and just cant figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Darren_walsh51

Found the problem in my vlan config and all sorted. Vodafone router is gone and nest WiFi is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭meathenterpr

Hi,

Can you elaborate how you resolved the issue. I'm using the same TP-Link switch model

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Num98Ulock

@Darren_walsh51 what did you do in the end? What were the final settings?

I'm sitting here with a 1GB SKY FTTH connection (ONT>Sky Hub>Nest Wifi Router) which I can see is hitting the Nest Wifi with ~700mbps, but it's only delivering <100mbps to the endpoints. Any update appreciated - thanks!

• Advertisement

You would need to get a managed switch to replace Sky hub,but I don't think it is related to your slow WiFi speeds. How do your measuring speeds ? Any chance you are limited by 2.4ghz band?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seamusmacspud

Does anyone have a step by step procedure for getting Vodafone Router out of setup and replaced with the Google Nest ?

I tried bridge mode on Vodafone router with Google Nest plugged in but lost internet.

My internet also drops several times a day I believe due to the doubling natt'ing of the Vodafone router and my Google Mesh.

I know this may be like defusing a bomb over the internet but given its a Vodafone router and google nest 3 point mesh surely there is a repeatable procedure I can follow without having to buty a switch to put in the middle.

Tech skills wise, I am rusty and am particular averse to significant config work without procedural steps to follow... Anyone up to the challenge ? :)

Any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

I got it working once I watched a few YouTube videos. Have my Sky Hub back in the box with TL-SG105E tagging VLAN 10 & Nest WiFi working with PPPOE Sky settings.

See attached VLAN settings.

ONT LAN cable to TP-Link port 1.

TP-Link Port 2 to Nest WAN port.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Google Nest supports VLAN 10 for PPPOE but you can't set it on the Nest itself. Other routers from Asus, TP-Link, etc support this VLAN tagging.

You need to buy a managed switch which can tag the VLAN for the Google Nest.

https://www.currys.ie/products/tplink-tlsg105e-network-switch-5-port-10156163.html

TP-Link from Currys costs €25 (5 ports with 3 available) or 8 ports for €40 & can do this as i posted in above post. It will also work as hub/router for additonal LAN ports as Nest only has 1 LAN connection.

Great post , real help for the other users. I was kinda surprised that TL-SG105E ( unmanaged switch as says on the box) could actually do VLAN tagging.

Advertisement