Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 General Tournament Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Qatar changes the rules about drinking late in the day.

FIFA change the rules on armbands very, very late in the day.

A joke that's becoming a worse joke.

The former will be knocked out in the group stages and forgotten about come Christmas.

Is there any way to save the latter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jesus your sounding like Infantini!!! Here is the thing yes it was like that but we have made strides to move on. IF we go by your standard we should not complain and stride to make stuff better ever as sometime in our past we did x or y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Harry Maguire starting in a back four no less, ahead of a great ball playing defender like Ben White. Mad call imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

That's a nasty head injury. He needs to be substituted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We were allowed to move on at our own pace. We didn't have other nations finger-wagging at us. Why should we go and do it to other countries? The next World Cup will be in the USA. Will we be lecturing and encouraging boycotts over their gun laws, restrictive abortion rights etc. or will that not matter because they're predominantly white and Christian? The rest of the world sees through western hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He and the players should be told f off he is going off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus his nose is destroyed, should have been subbed immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

and finally he is. Gonna be about 15 minutes added on because of all this mucking about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

But on the other hand, Ben White has been playing all season as a RB. Why switch him to play as a left sided CB, where he has never played for England. When he has played, it's mainly been in a back 5. They are playing a back 4 today.

Maguire always plays as LCB for club & country in both a back 4/back 5 and knows the English system with both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In fairness, concussion and the question of allowing someone continue on is a far more pertinent issue in SPORT than a political armband.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Much as I would deride any country for a poor record on LGBTQ+ rights I think the major issue here was migrant workers. After all most of us found it wrong to give the World Cup to Russia last time but hardly a mention was made of the poor state of affairs for the LGBTQ+ under Putin at the time. So we are perhaps within our rights to lecture a country on, you know, playing a part in the death of workers and it will inevitably follow that the other issues get mentioned. Ultimately for me the blame is primarily with the awarding of this world cup and the last.

The other factor is the regime of a country. I would humbly suggest we don't give major sporting events to authoritarian regimes as opposed to a democracy where, even if there might be dodgy laws, there is nobody arrested if they speak out against them.

Armbands and kneeling are such lip service anyway. If the gesture is abandoned three hours before kickoff it probably wasnt much of a gesture to begin with.Real message would have been to boycott the entire thing.

That said, disappointing to see all participants chickening out in such a manner, especially when the punishment was just a yellow card for the captains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All those gestures mean feck all anyway IMO. BLM kneeling farce looks like players stretching. Coloured armbands look nice but pointless. To me it is the Facebook generation symptom. Looking like you care until the next trend.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I would argue White has been the outstanding English defender in the league this season. Was very good at CB for Arsenal all last season and outstanding this year at RB. Fan favourite for Leeds in the defensive midfield role.

Really versatile player who I suspect would have no problem adapting to whatever system Southgate plays.

Not to mention the fact Maguire isn't even playing at club level. Who knows, Maguire could go on to have a great tournament. If he has even one stinker I suspect Southgate will come under pressure to take him out of the lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Felt starting TAA and Grealish would of been a better option given how deep the Iranians would defend.

More difficult for the pacey players like Sterling and Saka to make an impact when teams park 11 men behind the ball.

• Advertisement

I am starting to think Maguire has something on Southgate. Seems like a lock on the team regardless of form/ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest a lot of it is performance - but I still find that better than the huge trend of just dismissing everything. The former may not be as useful as we'd like, but the latter is actively destructive.

Bellingham scores. Goal was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Decent header from Bellingham

1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don't think the sub Iranian keeper covered himself in glory there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Is the RTE player live feed shockingly bad for anyone else? I'm on fibre ffs and it's struggling to stream at 540p. Just non-stop buffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Is George Hamiliton the only on-site commentator for RTE?

Not sure on that I always feel pretending to try ‘looking busy’ ‘looking like you care’ is the worst.

It is something I hate as well when I feel players are going through the motions on the pitch. Hiding in games etc. Pretending half assed ‘performance’ as you call it drives me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Except that in reality by throwing out the blanket of dismissal over everything from a distance, you're definitely covering some people for whom whatever it is they're doing means a lot to them, and making it harder for people to try to do things in the future by raising this shïtty attitude about any efforts.

There are specific self-serving acts that deserve to be called out specifically, but saying it as a blanket statement of an entire act/spectrum of action, is just such a useless cynical approach to things, that accomplishes absolutely nothing of any good.

Stunner from Saka.

Good finish by Saka. Was there a foul in the build up though?

I am not sure there were any comments on the opening ceremony last night. But I caught up on a bit of it.

It has now topped my memory of Diana Ross missing an open goal in USA 94 when she hit the beach ball wide.

This time you had Morgan Freeman on the floor talking to a little legless Arab fella about diversity/culture. I stress that the little Arab fella was not drunk, he was legless as in no legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's coming home etc etc

Iran may be worse than Qatar. Lovely finish by Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can we at least have a ban during live matches on politics for this thread seeing as it's the soccer forum.2 other threads going for that stuff.

This is gonna get pretty bad the more Iran try chase this game. Could be a real rout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

too easy for england.

Iran are fairly useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

14 minutes injury time?

I missed the start, what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

What an easy start for England, Iran are so poor.

Their one hope was to park the bus and hold out. Gonna be a goal fest now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Iran are poor. In hindsight great game to play Maguire really. Easy enough way to build some confidence. We won't learn much about England in this but the embarrassment of riches is there meaning they will go far despite Southgate. Be interesting when they face tougher opposition though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,080 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah he's been having a very good season alright.

I'm guessing that as Southgate has started Stones (who has also been playing at RB) as the RCB over White and didn't want to play 2 of them together. Some players just fancy playing on different sides of defence. Kinda the same way as some managers wouldn't pick 2 left footed CBs together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The BBC pundits should downplay this saying it's just Iran, but watch as they plan out their route to the final already.

• Advertisement

Clash of heads between their Keeper and one of the other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wow almost literally

Iranian goalie had a bad clash of heads with one of his own players, probably broke his nose. Iranian medics fannying about for ages before they took him off

That Iranian attack shows that England are still frail at the back. Better teams later in the tournament will expose and exploit those frailties.

Kenny Cunningham reminds me of that laughing priest from Father Ted.

If this was Ireland 3-0 up against Iran I'd be getting excited. Can't really blame them for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How many Asian teams will be in the next World Cup ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Micah Richards creaming himself in the BBC studio, he's insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It goes in and looks good but it’s a poor choice of finish. Elite finishers go with the left there. Doesn’t look as good, far less margin for error.

I just realised all the English scorers so far are black. Considering the stick those who missed the pens in the Euro’s final got online, it is a nice answer/symmetry.

That's been Englands problem for too long. They have the mentality of minnows such as ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

He's a PITA but I do find he's a bit more restrained when he's on BBC rather than Sky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement