Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Staunton96

That's not the (short-term) point of the runway. It's to decrease delays and congestion. New stands will lead to increased capacity, with the new runway facilitating that.

The Stands & apron capacity might be an issue. There was a lot of a/c waiting for stands over the summer.

Adding more slots could cause even more issues with this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I can see the need for more remote stands but probably an issue with CBP areas , I mean most of us are used to being bussed for the ATRs anyway so it can be done, I cant see it a good use of anyones time having a widebody sitting waiting for an airbridge. Westjet seem to have no issue using the 100 gates either

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

The lack of available contact stands will be the pinch point next year at Dublin the new runway provides the additional runway capacity but it needs the additional infrastructure such as taxiways, remote/contact stands etc. to really improve the capacity issues...

Interesting to see how Kenny Jacobs deals with the capacity issue and the related projects to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

Kenny Jacobs is nothing other than a mascot at the front of the car.

Look up the airport development plan that has been in place for several years now. Unless KR has an in with CAR then he will just have to go along with the current ADP.

There are plans for stands long in the works now for delivery next year and the years after up to and including T3 on the west side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

maybe I am far too advanced thinking, but another issue with Dublin airport is the completely unnecessary checking of domestic and UK passports on arrival caused by lack of proper planning/ will/ just normal random shambles. At peak times especially late in the evening when Ryanair planes are coming back to base, you have people arriving back from Spain and the continent who obviously need their passports check mixed in with UK arrivals. Its crazy.

Why wouldnt it be possible to kill 2 birds with the one stone and if you are now going to have 1000s of passengers per hour bussed from random parts of the airport apron to the terminal to somehow have a bypass corridor for CTA arrivals from their bus stop to the baggage carousels. There'd need to be some rejigging somewhere but surely its feasible and relatively cheap.

I cant see Dublin airport ever being rebuilt into having proper CTA/ Domestic - International areas but something like this would at least go part of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I cant see Dublin airport ever being rebuilt into having proper CTA/ Domestic - International areas but something like this would at least go part of the way.

Id say this might be on the cards if a Terminal 3 is ever built. They could then split up CTA, domestic, EU flights etc. into one area and have a separate area for international (i.e. non-EU) flights.

Exactly how this would be done, I don't know, but there would be potentially more space to play with the new terminal up and running.

I'd like to engage with you but the mods step in every time and stop me discussing CTA on here. I'll say that all UK airports manage what you are talking about without a lot of dedicated infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

How do you then stop people not entitled to avail of the provisions of the CTA from entering the State?

It only applies to Irish and UK citizens and it has been posted here numerous times that it was being abused.

It was clear from posts before that the rate of abuse of the CTA was far greater into Ireland proportionally than that into the UK.

The sheer volume of long haul destinations served from Heathrow compared with Dublin would mean that would be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you would build checkpoints on the land border if you wanted to isolate the 26 counties from the rest of the CTA properly!

I'll leave it at that and when I next land from the continent into a passport check with 1000s of irish and british arriving from the UK clogging the area, I will stand paitently and admire Irelands immigration authorities for being so thorough (and a land border barely an hour drive up the road)

Its not fair to continue the discussion on a restricted topic.

It was posted before here by someone in the know, who I suspect knows more about it than you and I, that attempted illegal immigration by air into Ireland was a real problem - far more so than via the land or sea borders, hence the checks and people being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Given the history of low cost transatlantic ventures the plausible answer is potentially “nowhere”

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Astral Nav

A quick look at the promoters' LinkedIn should set aside any great worries the other airlines might have.

Post edited by Astral Nav on

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

10L/28R opening Hours extend to 1800 from Thursday 1st

woo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

About time.

It would have been more beneficial to have the hours extended back towards 07:00 first, to get that first wave out faster and therefore creating a better experience at Dublin for the remainder of the day. But it is still a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

However all of the transatlantic departures will have use of it when westerly operations are in force. That's welcome, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Not airport infrastructure exactly but will the Quick Park carpark ever reopen? I always found it much better than the DAA ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shamrocka330

The land was up for sale during the summer with a price of €70million after a long legal dispute with the previous tenant.

Found this article from last month, some of it is behind a paywall but the general gist is that they have found a buyer. Looks like it will be kept as a car park (approx. 6,000 spaces) with planning permission for an office building.

Be great if it was back up and running for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah it’s needed and was generally slightly better value than the DAA ones, it was also handy for contractors working in the airport, they charged them a fiver a day which was a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I always felt the buses were far more reliable than the DAA ones. It would be good to see it back in action.

Now I live in Cork, where the long term carpark is easily walkable from the terminal. And actually closer than the Short Term.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I imagine they want to be sure everything is operating as smoothly as possible during the rest of the day before introducing dual runway operations at the busiest time of day.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The runway is very busy all day in any event, even with the hours of operation currently. Any airline ops will tell you that getting that first wave away on time is key for the rest of the day. It will extend further in due course and we are in the quieter winter schedule.

That last hour before closing will be very busy for them between 17:00-18:00. A large wave heads out at that time too. The flights are very much in the middle of the day at the moment. There will be an expectation that more complaints will flood in once you have a jet blasting over your head every 75 seconds from 07:00 (particularly at the weekend).

I've heard that Ryanair are not happy about the potential congestion if there's a queue for 28R departures, as this could affect pushbacks on the North side of their pier. That's most likely an issue for the initial wave of departures. Will the taxiway construction that's currently underway help to address this issue?

The Pat Kenny Show recently spoke to concerned residents in North Dublin. "It's like Vietnam".

https://link.goloudplayer.com/s/pGVzwm3O5QVd

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

This could be a tricky problem to solve. As was discussed on here before about departure pathways, its not possible to have both runways' departure paths parallel to each other which seems to be what these residents are hoping for. There has to be divergence and I'd be willing to bet my house the planning preference is for the existing design rather than the alternative of routing traffic off 28L instead to the south over the northwest of the city where you would have many thousands of people affected by noise versus a few thousand as it currently stands.

It does seem listening to that clip that the daa's initial information about flight paths was inaccurate (or else it was accurate at the time it was given but then afterwards it was realised that you can't have parallel departure paths). So for that reason I do have sympathy for these people who made decisions based on the information they were given at the time. Hopefully they'll grow accustomed to it with time and grants for noise insulation will help.

• Advertisement

The problem seems to be that people living in a fairly rural area about 4 miles from a very busy airport never expected to be affected in a meaningful way. While I have sympathy at the level of the individuals concerned, the other side of the coin is that many thousands of people on the heavily built-up west side of Dublin have been relieved of an amount of overflying traffic, which for them has been a 24-hour phenomenon. I live under the runway 16 departure path (two miles from the runway) and, while this is only used occasionally, the noise is not as intrusive as suggested in the PK programme. I wondered also whether at least some of the people interviewed are under the 16 approach but the interviewer would hardly have known to ask about that.

Advertisement