Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

And are you being deliberately obtuse for the sake of it?

- Legal system needs widespread reform

- A new prison is needed

-The Garda force need bulking up of resources. People, equipment, stations.

Her words mean nothing unless there is meaningful action. As we have seen in the past it will blow over until the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

"Enough is enough. Bulk up the force and equip them better."

How, 25% of those that join fail the fitness test. Very few are coming forward to joint

"Fix up a lenient legal system that lets repeat offenders walk through a revolving court room door."

How we don't have the prison space to hold them on remand or sentence them to x year.

What I’ve encountered, just as a normal citizen, and particularly in Dublin is this brazenness, a sort of weird aggressive school yard bully type and it pervades everything, because they know they can keep pushing it and there’ll be no response and no consequences.

They’re just extending that envelope they’ve been pushing out to the Gardai.

The legal consequences are a joke and there’s a terror of challenging anyone as the entire legal system seems to want to ensure maximum “compo” if you even attempt to fight back.

So we keep our heads down. We try not to make eye contact. We’re conditioned to walk past and not make a fuss and silently call 999 if we’re in trouble or see something happening, which results in a friendly unarmed, middle aged duo turning up in a family hatch back armed with a radio (if you’re lucky) who can arrest them, only for a judge to give them a mild telling off.

We've a system that seems to want to believe Ireland is some kind of a crime free utopia, where everything can be solved though the most gentle of interventions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

people always go on about it but I've never heard of someone fighting back against some scumbag on the streets and getting done for it. People put the head down and walk because the vast majority of people don't want any kind of verbal or physical confrontation, not because they're afraid of getting done for defending themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And how would any of that have prevented this horrific crime?

Which country do not have these occasional serious assaults on their police force?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ridiculous comment. She was also injured, maybe she just got a smack in the head? You probably just walk through punches like Robocop but most others don't. You might watch the whole thing before complaining about her.

I’m aware of two cases where they ended up in legal consequences. It’s an issue because people don’t really understand what rights they have. It’s vague. It’s often buried in civil and criminal case law and gets into complex, subjective interpretations of reasonable force and so on.

A lot of people also just don’t want to get stabbed so won’t intervene or interact at all.

All I can tell you is I’ve had the following over my life time:

Shouted at in the street, roughed up twice, followed, harassed even had a bottle of soft drink thrown out a car window at myself and a female friend while we were out for a walk, and she was slightly injured by it. I’ve been mugged once, my car was keyed twice, wipers broken off while parked in, another car was burned out by a local arsonist who decided to torch a car in my apartment building - destroying about 7 parked cars (about ten years ago) in a fairly nice part of town. As a 7 year old kid I was hurled abuse at by a middle aged woman on a bus because I asked her to stop smoking - including her threatening to “rip” my head off…

The lack of visible policing and particularly transport policing is a really big issue for a lot of people, yet it seems nothing is done. We’re all talk and no action.

I could go on…

Dublin’s alright but there are times I wonder was it an old pirate settlement or something. It can be dog rough.

I think it's just down to a long history of oppression, poverty, the Catholic church etc. I don't really know. You don't seem to get the same carry on in other European countries to the same extent anyway, or at least it isn't as visible.

France is pretty bad in spots. So is Belgium in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's just you being deeply disingenuous or just childish.

If you can't accept that the Minister for Justice has some bearing on Policing, Justice and law...

IF you could point where I suggest she didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭noc1980

Last time I was there almost had my head taken off by a 2 litre bottle thrown out the window of a speeding car. There must have been 200 of us on the footpath walking back from the point after a concert and despite being half deaf from the gig the sound of that bottle crashing against the wall just above our heads is something I'll never forget. Half a foot lower and it would absolutely have killed someone. You're never too far from scum that would do you harm in that city.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We operate reverse Darwin in this country. These scamps are provided bread and board and contribute fcuk all to this society except damage.

Welfare should be stopped completely after x convictions.

Couldn't care less what happens to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I wouldn't say nothing changed, the amount of people out walking what look to be retired greyhounds has increased greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If I was that colleague or a colleague of hers back at the station I’d be raging, she’s watching her mate take an absolute hammering and she’s walking around like a scared 12 year old in a playground looking at it happening..… that’s diabolical…

im actually shocked at that more then the attack….mad. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

It seems someone is shouting that the guard hit a girl? Not saying that this is justified, but another high ranking guard was on the news stating that cameras could be worn for safety, in this day and age is seems ridiculous not to have them, for the safety of everyone, it would reduce the inclination for both guards and the general public to do anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

What really is deafening is the silence from the policing authority when something like this happens. Guards getting hammered is fine but put a spit hood on a hep C positive scrote that is spitting at Gardai and they are shouting from the rafters about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Thank the policing authority, council for civil liberties, Paul Murphy or Richard Boyd Barrett or the likes for that. Dpp and management will absolutely hang a guard out to dry for any use of force. You'd want to be one thousand percent sure before you take out a baton nowadays.

• Advertisement

ah sure good luck to them, and i doubt any of the pick pockets are spanish. what i mean is you don't get the same yobbish behaviour in cities like that, i've never seen it, only in ireland. not that it bothers me but some of our teenagers and youths seem to be a different breed altogether, there's a culture there of getting up to no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The criminal justice system is supposed to be a deterrent. It isn’t. There has been a rapid upsurge in crime post pandemic and assaults and violence are up too.

judges are still a problem, every bit as much as the perpetrators . And the politicians not exactly standing up and protecting law abiding citizens either.

let’s see what sob stories get trotted out in court… ok it’s not going to be a suspended sentence but I won’t think there will be any suitable punishments.

that individual shouldn’t see the outside of a prison for 5 years.

There has been a rapid upsurge in crime post pandemic and assaults and violence are up too

Very misleading stat, how are they compared to pre pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No matter what, an assault on any Garda is an assault on all of us, and an attack on the state just like the ramming of the patrol car a few months ago, and it happens every day in the state.

A national Police service which is overstretched, underfunded and under strength in numbers, add in politicians who consistently fail to properly support the force apart from a few sound bites when this happens, a revolving door criminal system where 100 or 200 previous convictions is seen as a badge of honour, and any number of hard luck stories given to the likes of Judge Nolan means criminals have no fear of receiving any more than a slap on the wrist... And if a Garda restrains someone they risk job loss and criminal charges..

Sending out unarmed officers in family cars dressed in ridiculous uniforms would have worked ok back in the 1970's but we need a Police force suitable for the realities of the 2020's.

There's a strong criminal class in all of our towns and cities funded by a booming Drugs trade and a soft touch social welfare system that breeds every generation of young criminals who've no investment in the state and operate outside normal society.. They're the new Untouchables..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Haven't seen it myself but fair point. Maybe I should have specified major change and to the industry itself. Not just some guilty owners finally putting the shotgun away and giving them to rescues instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The Countries in purple have unarmed police forces. It’s time we armed out Garda with firearms like most other EU countries. The female Garda could then have used her gun to protect her colleague. In Dublin especially we are way past the time to have armed guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Taking victim blaming to a new level.

The Gardai shouldn't have been assaulted. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah make the more destitute, that'll help crime rates 🤣

Ireland statistically is one of the safest countries in the world.

They is no data that suggests arming our complete police force will make us safer or the police safer.

2 of the last 3 members who were killed were armed, the majority who are killed in active duty, road traffic accidents are the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Meanwhile, back in 2022, it's still fashionable to blame 'lefties' for all socialital ills.

Baton? The blackthorn, or bota-fada has been long since been replaced by the ASP. More shocking still was the recent introduction of anti-stab vests after the death of a Member in 2015.

Even the most brawny mule of a guard would have his/her job cut out handling a little coked-up scrote with a knife. We're not in the age of 'Lugs' Brannigan anymore. However, the rank-and-file Garda unions are still against the use of tasters by 'regular' Members, so what do you do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement