Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That is one of the best analogies I have heard. So true its actually sad

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

Now I'm not saying there will or won't be a recession or whatever.

But as I said in previous posts and still from evidence last night, there is still no slow down on partying, eating out etc.

All ages not just young.

First night out in nearest big town to me last night in good few weeks, usually was sticking to small village near or go into Galway city lately.

But was shocked how busy ever pub restaurant was. I know match was on and that brought a few out.

But I'd imagine with all talk of people struggling to pay bills, recession next year etc.

And with Christmas just around. Where is the money coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Its called denial stage…smart people would start cutting back on expenses..not everyone is financially smart to know it and party will continue. People are just spending what they are earning or using credit cards to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

The recession will come and the main solution will be to turn on the tap of emigration again. Get all the young jobless out of the country, increase taxes and just ride the next few recession years out.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Plus tax increases and spending cuts. Will it happen in Budget 2023 or will FG and FF kick the hard decisions can down the road in order to buy their political future? The sooner the hard decisions are made, the better; look beyond MNCs for economic growth, cut public spending and implement tax increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭brickster69

Swiss National Bank seeing increasing demand for USD recently in the first 3 weeks of October, also the number of banks needing USD from them is increasing rapidly.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Big turnaround in German PPI this morning.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Its definitely a good sign, whether or not its due to demand destruction or soft contracting I'm sure the idiots in the ECB will let us know. Hopefully this is the start of disinflation but people have to remember disinflation is not deflation, disinflation still implies inflation. I think give it till mid Q2 2023 and we will see rates coming back down and possible QE again in order to kickstart the German economy. Money markets with their record breaking steepening negative yield curves would back this statement up, but a lot too unfold yet.

Come January - March when people have over spent and leveraged for xmass things will become very miserable, very lean and very harsh quite quick, I think this will be where the bulk of unemployment rises along with brutal company earnings reports. This is when the magic monopoly money will need to be injected fast and the circus will continue.

Qatar have been insisting on long term contracts for LNG in order to invest in boosting supplies. Today China has signed one of the largest long term deals for LNG for the next 27 years.

Japan say the all long term LNG contracts are sold out until 2026. Looks like strong demand for spot gas for the next few years.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

If that isnt a big f you to the cop27 meeting. Meanwhile Europe doesn't want to sign up to any long term contract because were the greenest of the green. When will europe wake up and realise the rest of the world doesn't give shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

a significant proportion of private debt is in corporate sectors, many pension funds are heavily leveraged, this is one of the main differences from pre 08 conditions, this all could become very hairy very quickly, with rapidly rising costs and rising rates, most household debts are generally used for the purchase of property, and not on consumables, these are the entities to be truly concerned about!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People always find money for drink and socializing its generally the last thing to go too.

Share buybacks at low interest rates comes to mind. Yeah your dead right corporate debt is at record highs, some how I doubt they'll let the whole financial system crumble as a corporate debt death spiral due to high interest rates would blow the banks up AGAIN. QE, bail the system out lower rates to stimulate things, probably do some helicopter money for the decimated SME sector as QE liquidity on the bond market will take awhile before it trickles down to them, rinse and repeat. That's what I think they may go for remains to be seen how it will play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You have said this again and again. I dont think it will happen but any ideas in your thinking when you think the magic money printer will be turned back on?

the risks are too high for a corporate debt blow out, so i do suspect some sort of bailout programs, qe, god knows what, will be put in place to try prevent this, helicopter money just has to be bloody done this time, similar to what was done during covid, i believe programs such as pup, ewss etc, should have never been stopped, it was keeping businesses going, the last thing we need is a significant rise in sme failures, but how much sh1t will be allowed to occur, before any such polices are implemented, 23 is looking sketchy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not only that. Alcohol and drugs are the hottest commodity in crisis. People are looking for something to help them to cop on. There will be more parties as the reality starts to bite.

Meanwhile the head of Germany's Federal Office for Civil Protection and Disaster Relief (BBK), Ralph Tiesler, has warned citizens to prepare for short-term power outages, particularly in January and February, and to stock up on rations in advance.

They recommend to have supplies for at least 10 days.

I know, I really hate saying because it goes against what I really would like to see happening but mid 2023 would be my guess. I think we may see a dire first quarter of 2023 and then by mid 2023 when unemployment has ticked up alot we will see a pause on rate rises and talks of QE liquidity and rate lowerings for the second half of 2023.

I hope I'm wrong I think negative real terms interest rates has been the instegator of all our main problems like growing wealth divides since the 08 crash.

i think you could be right here, again, im wondering how much sh1t will be allowed to occur, before these polices are enacted, its disturbing to see we re potentially walking into great danger here, and the institutions we have created to try prevent these dangerous, seem to be largely oblivious to the dangers, of which theyre playing a critical role in creating, scary stuff!

That quickly? I mean we are still overly high with inflation and can see another .75% this December and the Euro vs Dollar is not helping us either I think we will see QT until at least 2024. Also even if it is in Ireland's interest to get QE going again quicker it may not serve the larger nations interest to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A friend of mine is 54 and just moved all his pension fund to cash and bonds. Usually they don't advise that until 60 or so.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

yea i think jonnyc could be spot on here, debt levels are so high, in both public and private domains, but particularly in the private domain, that this situation has the potential to go south extremely quickly, the rapid rising of rates is already putting significant pressure on credit/debt markets, central banks may have no choice but to step in again with programs such as qe etc. most of these debts were created during low rate periods, but the accumulation of these debts are now unsustainable. we probably wouldnt be as bad off as we are if these debts were used for whats called 'productive means', but thats not what has happened, a significant proportion of these debts were used for the (re)inflating of the value of assets, and this is now no longer sustainable, this is now leading to severe volatility in markets, which are now highly unstable, and susceptible to shocks

yea, this is very worrying, many are starting to see what potential could occur here, we may have a serious correction in asset markets coming, thats actually not good.

I think we will reach breaking point well before 2024, these guys are like like junkies they got absolutely hooked on cheap debt with every little rate increase it will strain the system to breaking point. Couple this with the world wide bond market turmoil losses, FTX and crypto losses, energy derivatives losses (100s of billions lost just in europe) and stock market losses they are already up to their bollox in it, throw in higher debt repayments due to more interest rate hikes and more SMEs defaulting due to consumer spending down it will be enough for 1 domino to fall and that's all that's needed.

Surely this is the expected response to induce a recession in order to tame inflation? A lot of people would argue they did not raise interest rates quickly enough. I agree with your comment on the markets but as rates rise surely the safe haven of bonds will be looked at by those in the know to keep their cash on the upper. I mean how sustainable is it to have QE on the never never? This is one of the main reasons we find ourselves with this runaway inflation we have had 3 shocks to the system (Brexit, Covid, Ukraine) and even though people have money in their pockets (Ireland has still got a very healthy savings built up) it could be argued that the cheap cash and the give away money seen during covid along with the supply issues from the war is seen as fuel that has inflation burning though peoples living standards. I mean if we do go back to QE and get back to very low rates what's to stop the same thing happening again if we get another shock to the system. I don't think they can just start printing again in order to ease the pain this time. I think a lot of countries are going to have to force down prices as the simple fact is companies globally in the main cannot give their employees pay rises to match inflation so they either keep on increasing interest rates in the hope of prices dropping (and this is working in some areas like timber for construction currently) or they go with QE again and then we are back to square one where all 3 shocks are still around and we are wide open if another crisis comes our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

Never a good idea. For one staying in the market at present is the best opportunity to get units cheaper., I mean 54 years old. Two with ARF you will always be in the market, it's not like buying an annuity where you needed a fixed lump sum on retirement day. Completely wrong thing to do there by your friend and I can show countless data to prove it. Just stay in the market and invest as appropriate to your age and tax allowance.

I don't think they can keep doing this either they have to come up with a more sustainable approach, but that will never happen. If they follow suit with the same programme they rolled out in 2008 and kept going steadily till covid, then it will do nothing bar cause greater wealth divides which will in turn create greater internal conflict among nations. Imagine the US if it keeps going on the same trajectory its on in 15 years time it will be in turmoil, the social divides are crazy ATM and in 15 years time it will off the rickards scale and that all came from asset price inflation due to QE and low rates.

Your right they can't keep using the one trick pony approach - but they will

Yeah I was surprised and I told him the same - funds are getting cheaper units now after certain share collapses (e.g. Nasdaq listed companies) but he has a very healthy pension built up and he is afraid to lose it. He plans to retire earlier than 65 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

And what is he going to do with his retirement fund when he retires? Leave it in the bank? I don't think he understands the new pension system to be honest. How does he expect to get ~4% year draw down on retirement with the fund in bonds and cash. Tell him to reverse his plan and to read up for 5 minutes, that's all it will take.

He is expecting an almighty crash. An historic one. I don't see it myself. I think he will re-org his investment s portfolio afterwards. He has been shown to be financially astute in the past or lucky!

• Advertisement

might be okay for demand lead inflation, but really a no no for supply side lead inflation, and add the accumulation of debt in circulation, and Houston, we ve a problem!

as you some what pointed out, inflation is ultimately coming from the supply side, and central banks effectively cant do anything about this type of inflation, and the only tool they have, i.e. raising rates, only pressurizes credit/debt markets. i do agree that rates need to be increased, but other polices need to be enacted in conjunction with so, in order to maintain some sort of forward motion, and raising rates will more than likely increase the likelihood of defaults, non performing loans, and significant disruption in debt markets. i also think rates are being increased too quickly, and as stated, wont actually really do much for inflation, but could cause turmoil elsewhere, and it doesnt look like central banks get this....

i also agree, continual qe is not a solution, it should never have been continued when it was confirmed to be simply inflating asset values, and not truly helping with the generally functioning of our economies, but the reality is, we continued, and now we re potentially in major asset bubbles, and raising rates are now more than likely gonna burst'em, maybe!

deposits currently amount to 144bn, which on average turns out to be around 30k per person, but the reality is, not everyone has that amount on deposit, some have significantly higher amounts, and others have nothing on deposit, but significantly high debts, i.e. deposits arent evenly disrupted. yes amounts are high, but we re not all the same!

its important to realise, money created during qe hasnt actually made it into the real economy, but has largely remained within our global financial system, (re)inflating asset prices, which is almost largely detached from our main economies, but of course does interact with it, with the qe money itself simply remaining in reserve accounts at the central banks themselves.

more direction methods of getting money into our economies, is urgently needed, this is what occurred during covid with polices such as pup, ewss etc, as access to money is quickly drying up, confidence is needed for people to spend deposits, but i suspect thats now collapsing, and im expecting a major sh1t show after the christmas bump.....

yes the increase in the availability of money during covid has lead to our current situation, but the majority of our inflationary pressures, is more than likely coming from our significant global supply chain disruptions, and now our effective energy crisis, again, raising rates wont solve these problems, but will more than likely lead to the above mentioned....

we re kinna stuck in this sh1t show, i.e. potentially unable to shut off qe, and a serious inability to raise rates significantly, we probably urgently need to enact radical polices such as major debt forgiveness programs, in order to reduce the accumulation of debt in circulation, particularly in the private domain, corporate debt etc. but i suspect that will probably never happen

Advertisement