Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Finding it hard to get quotes. Have 2 so far, my thoughts are no.1 is decent, perhaps a little high, second is about €3k off?

I think we need 20 panels, so might try negotiate on vendor 1. Both are hybrid for future, hopefully DIY battery.

Would rather more quotes so must keep trying.

Vendor 1

18 x 400w Leapton panels (7.2kW)

Solis Hybrid Inverter 6Kw

€11,600 (-grant, €9,200)

Unsure on BER, grant support etc.

Vendor 2

20 X 415W Jinko panels

6kw Hybrid Inverter

BER & grant application €15,000 (- grant, €11,800)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Appreciate some feedback on below. Finding it hard to compare these as the specs are quite different in both. Quote 1 is obviously more expensive but it is better value? We use approx 4,400 - 4,600Kw/h per year based on 12 months of electricity bills, and house is SE / NW facing. Quote 1 came out and did a survey, recommended 10 panels on the SE facing roof (max that will fit there) and none on the NW facing side. Quote 2 is an indicative quote without having a survey done.

Quote 1

Panels: 10 x 420w Trina

Inverter: Huawei 5KTL -L1

Battery: Huawei Luna- 5Kwh

Total Cost €15,316 

Grant   -€ 2,400

Net Total €12,916

Quote 2

Panels: 10 Solar All Black 370w

Inverter: Solis Hybrid Inverter

Battery: 2.4Kw Battery

Cost   €11,500

SEAI Grant -€ 2,400

Final Cost € 9,100

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Second quote you are getting half the size of battery.. someone will be along shortly to say you are overpaying for huawei gear in first quote.. how are you figuring out the size of the battery you need? you are using about 12kw electicity per day? what are you hoping to achieve from having a battery? import over night and use during the day to cover solar dull days? 2.4k won't stretch to far.. we went with 7kwh solar, 9.5kwh battery and its working out at 11.6k after grant.. only a few weeks in yet.. booked 26th of september fitted second week of november

Thanks. For the first one the guy who came out reckoned a 4KWh battery is about right, but 5 would be future proof. He reckoned as well it wasn't worth putting more panels at the back as it is NW facing (I thought myself that was a bit strange as we get a lot of sunlight in the back garden in the summer afternoon and evenings. OK not much sun there in winter but from about mid-March on there's plenty, and we could easily get 16-20 panels on there.)

Re battery, the thinking is that with no-one in the house most of the day, charge the battery during daylight hours and we get the benefit at night and the following morning. The 2nd quote was an indicative one, they did say the 2.4Kwh battery itself costs 1,250 (included in the price quoted.)

Ok so your back sounds like my front. We went with panels on the front but since they went live they are generating near to zero as the sun is too low to hit them once it comes around the house and it sets. As you say though from march to October I'd expect to get good production from these panels. I've 11 on the back and 8 on the front.. probably could have fitted more on the back maybe 4 more.. re the battery I don't know.. at 5kwh your going to be out of power very quickly during the day if there's no solar. Do you know your average house load when out? My goal is to charge the battery at night on cheaper electricity.. run the house on the cheaper tarrif till the day rate kicks in at 8am.. and try to get to 11pm trying as much as possible to avoid importing electricity at the much higher 42cents kw.. on days without solar that's tricky.. if I get an hour or two during the day get there no problem. I expect for spring to autumn I'll have excess solar to export and use some to hear the water and keep the battery topped up so should have less to import at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can some send me on the details of a Dublin installer they’d recommend.

my dad got a quote from an Active company who are renowned for being expensive, so I told him to hold off.

3.8kw for 10k after the grant !!!

No idea what power is being used during the day when nobody is home but I'd guess very little. We don't have a smart meter yet so everything is on the one rate for now, although we have got a letter saying one is coming, just not yet when! The pattern is a bit erratic here, some days there will be someone here some of the time, other days no-one home 9am to 5pm. Sometimes I come home for lunch. So hard to plan I guess. But we can plan to optimise when the heavy use stuff is on - immersion, washing machine, dishwasher, etc. No electric car yet but at some point (2-5 years?) I guess that will be part of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I would like to thank everyone on here for their advice and PM's. We finally decided on a quote and got deposit away and it was only possible with your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Both those quotes are 100% over guidance. For marginally less money than your Quote 1 I'm getting 8KwH in the panels, 6Kwh inverter and 10KwH batteries with 100% DoD. Those prices are mental. Also you should cover any unshaded part of your roof you can in panels.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

For everyone's reference;

Panels = kWp (peak power)

Battery = kWh (energy)

Inverter = kW (power)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I prefer to measure things in terms of Horse power.

Panels will have 10 Hp (Peak Horse Power)

Battery = 13.6 Hp⋅H (Horses power Hour)

Inverter = 6.7 (Horse Power)

Everything feels way more many this way, I think I can get my roof onto Top gear provider Clarkson keeps his hands to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gleannirce

Hi, I've noticed quite a few folks recommend maxing out on panel installation, and I get why.

I have an unusually large 45 deg roof. Four veluxes totalling c. 6m2 are the only unusable areas on c. 95m2 gross slated roof facing south.

I'm trying to calculate how many panels I can fit, so any comments appreciated.

1. Is 2mx1m a reasonable panel metric? (and can they be laid tight together)

2. What is the minimum clear distance from panels to velux edge, roof side edge, ridge, and gutter edge?

3. What is the maximum amount of typical panels that can be connected to a single phase supply, and inverter?

Many thanks in advance.

Are you going DIY or grant.

If going grant, get plenty of quotes and let the installer figure out the maximum amount of panels.

You could have upto 9kw of panels on a 6kwh inverter (that's the maximum on a domestic single phase).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gleannirce

Thanks Maulbrook, I intend to go the grant route.

I see that the ESB supply 16KVA as well as the standard 12KVA.

Has anyone upgraded to this in order to accommodate more than 9KW of panels? Is the inverter a limiting factor?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

Hi,

After getting a few quotations (but not from everyone I asked), i'm going to go with the below I think.

10x 340w JA panels 10 Monocrystalline 3.4kwp system

1x 3.6kW Solis Hybrid Inverter             

1 Dyness 5.1kwh battery €2,500                             

EDDI                         

1 x DC isolators

1x AC isolator

1x Shut of switch              

Subtotal €11,900

€2,400 SEAI Grant Applicable* € 9,500

My question is if I want to add more panels in the future, should I order a 5kw or 6kw Inverter now? Is the above future proofed?

I could add at least 10 more panels on a 45 degree pitch South facing roof, but not immediately.

Thanks for any feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Order the 6kw to future proof all possibilities. Not a bad quote.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

What about dropping the battery and getting more panels now.

I say this as with FIT battery less benefit, and I'd assume higher cost to get extra panels onto a roof than get someone to fit a battery to a battery ready system. Think about roofers, scaffolding etc once there fir your 10, then to put more on other roof probably less than getting them back out.

Also what size inverter/Battery if you plan to add mire panels, makes it more like put panels now and leave battery for later.

340w are small, and can you mix and match panel output on different 2 strings, that's a question for the more informed than me,

Thanks, I have a day and night meter so I plan to charge the battery with the night tarif sometimes. I may even add a second battery in the future.

But getting a 6kw invertor now if possible is a good idea @con747

By the time the installers get to me, I might have saved enough for another 2 panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Is it 2500 extra to add the battery or is that already included in the totals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Hi guys,

Looking for opinions on the below quote I have gotten.

6.72kWp system, 12 x Jinko 560W Tiger Neo N-Type 72Cell BF solar modules

Solis 6k hybrid inverter

€9435 after grant.

Option to add 5.12kwh dyness battery for €2650.

I have also gotten them to quote for 8 and 10 panels rather than the 12.

4.48 kWp 8 panels €7270 after grant

5.6 kWp 10 panels €8352 after grant

Do these prices seem reasonable? I am considering going without a battery for now to bring prices down and add on a battery myself in the future.

Would the 6.72kWp system be too big without a battery?

Our annual usage is around 5800 kwh.

We do have a 40kwh EV so can charge that during the day, it would be at home 3-4 days a week.

I also have solar thermal panels so I don't think there would be much point adding an Eddie diverter

Roof is south facing

Re the battery, would 5kw cover your days use during winter? We have a 9.5kw battery and it makes it just about from 8am to 11pm. Avoiding day tarrif and charging at night. If it were a choice between a 5kw battery and more panels I'd go more panels.

Go with the 6kwh, sod all difference in the cost compared to the 5kw.

If your inverter can support two strings 5kw inverter is probably fine?

Only about €40 in the difference between 5kw and 6kw inverter

Yeah to be honest it'll be a toss up between more panels or a battery. I don't think I can justify both right now.

Do people think the quote is competitive compared to what they have seen?

Post edited by flipper2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

We had 8 x 370w panels installed in Jan 22, smart meter installed in May ( iirc ), takes exactly 30 days to bed in etc. Soon as this went live, I contacted my supplier, switched to a night boost plan ( where the rate drops below the usual night rate between 2-4am ) , then programmed the system to charge the battery from the grid between 2-4am, thereby having a full battery first thing every morning, the idea being that solar will replenish said battery during the day. We can also use timers to take advantage of that 2 hour nightly window to operate washing machine/dishwasher, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Hello,

looking for opinions on this quote , please

13 x 405w QCell ML-G11 Solar PV Panels 

5kw Solax X1-G4 Hybrid Inverter

BER

€10,178 without battery

€13,408 with 5.8kwh battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Expensive, should be able to get it a lot cheaper. It should be around 7k to 8k max.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement