Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk to me about soundbars , better than running sound out of a stereo system?

Options
  • 30-08-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi there ,

Recently got a projector for watching movies.

At the moment I am running the sound from the projector through the speakers of a circa 2000 sony stereo system. One of those kind of stacked systems with a cd player / radio/ mino disc (would you believe) and two shoebox sized speakers connected by wiring to either side.

Sounds pretty good but with some movies the dialogue channell seems a bit mufffled or not out in front enough.

I know nothing about soundbars. Would a Soundbar be an improvement? How much would I have to spend to notice that this sounds particularly better?

Thanks for any opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

They also can be picked up pretty reasonably

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

are they worth it , like are they much better than running sound through the speakers on a hifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nothing is better than running sound out of a good hifi. That's the optimum setup if youve a good receiver and set of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's not my experience. I compared my active floorstanders to my Sonos home cinema set up and found the hifi speakers worked better for music and the Sonos worked better for cinema.

The hifi speakers had a soundstage and reproduction that just sounded "wrong" for cinema, even when placed right up against the sides of the TV.

I'm sure it's possible with enough fiddling to get good cinema sound out of separates, and if the budget only stretches to one approach then I'd definitely choose a good hifi as musical reproduction out of the Sonos (Beam and/or Ones) is brutal, but they are amazing for cinema and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Interesting to read your opinion of the Sonos Beam and Ones set up for music. I have a Beam Gen 1 and two ones in my living room, and music streaming from Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, etc. sounds fantastic. As does films, etc through Netflix. Currently debating whether to upgrade to Beam Gen 2 for Dolby Atmos even though there's not much Dolby Atmos content from the music streaming providers. Be interested to hear your opinion.

• Advertisement

I could do a quick listening test on the three setups I have (Sonos Beam+Ones+Sub, Canton DM55, floorstanders).

What sort of music do you listen to? Nominate a tune! 😀

David Bowie - Sound and Vision

OK, here's my assessment.

Canton DM-55 in stereo mode (bluetooth). Lacking a bit of brightness and very closed in - poor stereo separation and soundstage.

Canton DM-55 in "surround" mode (bluetooth). Decent soundstage if slightly artificial sounding, but actually quite decent for music, if lacking the top end clarity I prefer.

Dali Zensor 5 AX floorstanders (through Google Chromecast audio). Lovely, clean, natural, well separated stereo soundstage, clear vocals.

Sonos Beam gen 2 + 2 x Sonos One + Sonos Sub (Spotify connection so wifi?). Decent soundstage but otherwise just awful. Muddy, unengaging, almost like one of those nasty portable cylindrical bluetooth speakers.

Now it's not really fair comparing a €400 soundbar to a pair of floorstanders at twice the price, but then the total price of my Sonos setup is the best part of €2k.

Even my daughter's tiny bookshelf speakers (Ruark Audio MR1 MKII) are a nicer listen for music than the Beam.

Equally, I tried the floorstanders for TV/cinema sound (switching back and forth with the Canton) and I much preferred the Canton as the floorstanders had just too much separation, even when right against the sides of the TV.

The Sonos setup absolutely nails it for TV and cinema. I actually had to turn down the subwoofer level a couple of notches, and even then the opening scene from Star Wars where the imperial star destroyer thing appears from behind camera is hilariously good. Fortunately I don't share any party walls with neighbours!

Thanks for the assessment!

To be honest, I've nothing to compare my Sonos Beam Gen 1 + 2 x Sonos One set up to. Note that I don't have the Sub, and I have a Beam Gen 1.

But have you tried streaming via Tidal, Qobuz, or Amazon? Higher quality streams..

I don't have golden ears and have never been able to tell the difference between different quality digital audio streams.

As far as your decision is concerned, I seriously doubt you'll get much benefit from an upgrade to the Beam V2.

For the same ish money you could get a sub mini, which you absolutely would be able to appreciate (assuming it works with the beam v1).

• Advertisement
Advertisement