Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Which is brilliant for him, fair play, he looks a very good player... what's your point though? He was bought as an option. it was a good transfer, and it's looking like it will pay off. But the circumstances, and necessity of its success are simply not comparable to Bazunu.

Southampton lost their starting goalkeeper, Forster. To replace him, they decided upon Bazunu, instead of another senior experienced player. I'm arguing that in choosing a player who had never played higher than League 1, that part of their confidence in choosing this kid was that he had played at a higher level, to a good standard, for Ireland. And that that experience bolstered their confidence in taking the massive risk of making him their starting goalkeeper to replace Forster.

I don't see the point in arguing that him being one of the most impressive young international number 1's played absolutely zero part in his transfer... i doubt Southampton themselves would say it had so little impact. It was an obviously key piece of information to inform his level of quality, so of course it will have been relevant.

And again, anyway, we all know that lots of players are bought at least partially off the back of international performances. It's a really common thing... so it's not hard to stretch that young players getting to show their quality at a higher level than their club teams play at, would factor into their transfers. Sure of course it could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

In six months time after a bad run he could still get the Ireland job imo. Beggers can't be choosers and not like there'll be a big line of people chomping at the bit for the Ireland gig that's now not throwing JD wages at people to take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We finished the group on 13 points, Denmark finished on 16. Turn the draw vs Georgia into a win and we’ve 15 points. That result quite literally had no bearing on us qualifying.

How are you having us qualified if we beat Georgia??

Post edited by Fandymo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's even worse than that.

Malta also had a game on the same day. Most of their players are only semi-pro so are likely to be less fit than our lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Have been behind Kenny since he got the gig and said it would take time to turn the team around etc. But, after the last week I would have some doubts. Whatever about Norway match tonight we put out a fairly decent side and were so poor.

It was the equivalent of a top end championship side vs league two. Passing the ball for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

A 26% winning rate from 30 matches is an atrocious record. Stephen Kenny has been given far too much time in charge and has produced nothing other than capping a few young lads which anyone could have done. I don't know what the FAI are waiting for, he is not going to turn things around. The sooner this lad is given the boot the better. He did a good job at U21 level but the senior job is way beyond his capability. 

Did he do well at U21s? Probably our best underage team since the Kerr days and failed to qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I've been wanting Kenny to succeed from the moment he was appointed, and still do. However, given recent results and performances, when I look forward to June next year I think it's far more likely we'll be looking for a new manager than not.

Now it's entirely possible we're all reading too much into a couple of friendly matches where the players probably didn't really want to be there, but it is worrying to me that we seem to be in the same spot we were for the latter days of Mick and Mon i.e. reverting to McClean, Hendrick, Brady. Kenny has done a lot of great work overhauling the team in his time in charge, but it seems he's now so fearful of things going wrong that he's doing what a lot of under pressure managers do, and that is to revert to their "experienced" players, regardless of how poorly they play.

Our opening 3 qualifiers are France (h), Greece (a), Gibraltar (h). Realistically, we can hope for a draw vs France, a draw vs Greece (historically we don't win away to teams of similar stature) and a win vs Gibraltar. That might at least not have us out of contention in the group by that point. But anything less and I'd say our qualification hopes will be up in smoke after 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

All pure opinion/perspective of course but personally I thought Scotland at home, UKR away and Scotland away felt like we were finally settled and playing well and the trajectory was ascending.

And to highlight how fickle my opinion is, if Kenny had gotten similar results, with similar performances in this window but fielded teams with the young lads he actually brought into the squad id still probably be on here in some way defending him.

Not as confidentially as I have in the past but I'd have still thought there was some hope.

But when I look at it all objectively I think the curve is descending again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The reason why he doesn't get credit is because the results and the performances have been so inconsistent.

As another poster said any manager can cap new players (Stan and Joe LaParta say hello) it's another thing finding the right ones and the system to use them in.

The only thing an Kenny should be getting credit for is improving the team and the performances, and he has done neither so he doesn't deserve any credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have the feeling alright that he won't see out 2023 as the Ireland manager. One bad result and I think the FAI bite the bullet and move him on.

We play better against teams that will want to dominate the ball and attack as it leaves space in behind to counter which gives a smidge of hope that France at home could see a better performance but if we're coming out of Junes games with three points they'll likely dust off the phone book and make some phone calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

Don’t need to do that to know that the draw away that Mick managed was a complete failure. We were the higher seed, that absolutely prioritised not losing over going for it, even though a win would have meant a draw in one of our last 2 games was enough. Drawing that lower seed meant we had to beat one of either higher seeds which was never going to happen.

Kenny certainly has his problems but going back to other campaigns poor results and and claiming those poor results were actually good to slight Kenny with is some serious mental gymnastics.

He may not be the man for the job but as others have said, whoever comes in after him will have the benefit of the job he’s done. Anyone trying to give him zero credit is wilfully ignoring the good he has done due to their personal dislike of the man or what he represents.

But what specifically has he done that any other manager could not have done ?

Any other manager with experience above LOI and a disastrous Scottish stint.

They too would have capped new players, and they might have been able to mould them into a team that were better than what we have seen with Kenny.

But previous managers didn’t do that. They picked players based on minutes they were getting at their club and put men behind the ball.

Kenny was the actual manager to come in and give youth experience while trying to evolve the playing style of the team.

It’s just weirdly dismissive to say “well anyone could have done that” when nobody else did.

He has his problems in trying to break teams down and generally we start campaigns slowly which makes it feel a bit like we have to start learning all over again which is frustrating, but trying to say the whole thing has been a disaster is disingenuous. Sure even this year he got us our biggest competitive win against a higher ranked side for over 30 years, and when you see the squad he did it with it certainly shows the potential of what the team can do.

Oh I forgot you are the poster who always pedals that line.

Nice being in with a shout for qualification in the last game rather be out after two though, isn't it?

Realistically a draw vs France? Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the little wee donkey. Realistic??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You make a lot of good points. I have been following those lads on Irish Football Fan TV. Honestly, because I found it funny, after a while.

At the start they saw it as a new dawn, there would be a new style of football. Ireland would show the world we have the ability to play possession football properly, and get results. Basically an international version of Kenny’s Dundalk.

But then with each bad result they found excuses, desperately looked for positives. And ANY half decent result/performance was greeted with relief, and talked up as a turning point. Until of course the next poor performance.

Now the guy from Irish Football Fan TV looks like a broken man. He has finally lost faith. In Kenny he doesn’t trust.

I noticed this change has been replicated on boards. Most posters, pundits, fans have finally woken up to the repeated issues.

Stuff I and others, have been saying for ages. I have not done it to hammer him for the sake of it, or called for him to be sacked.

But the same problems are repeated. Possession and no threat, no penetrative passes, side to side - slow. So flipping slow.

Basically as you say, the same fear Kenny has. The team takes the safe option playing the ball in their own half.

This means easy to play against for any team. The urgency has been taken out of the team.

That is unforgivable in my eyes, one of the main advantages Irish teams had was workrate/energy, closing down.

Workrate and energy is a basic especially for a team like Ireland who are limited. Kenny has ripped the heart out of this Irish team.

It is like the slow mo during those drink driving ads. A slow car crash. Then a sloppy goal is conceded.

Even the best possession teams like Pep’s Barcelona had high workrate to close down and win the ball back quickly. Four second rule I believe they call it.

Set pieces another disaster an area that used to be one of Ireland’s key strengths. What has Kenny done? He has now made it a real weakness. Both attacking and defensively.

In open and general play as well sloppy goals are likely to be conceded because the team is not trained/drilled properly by the manager. Lack of organisation - structure- cohesiveness.

As for Ireland’s group you are probably correct. But I think the difficulty of the group might help save some of Kenny’s reputation.

Because he might/could get - MAYBE one shock draw on the counter v Holland or France. Which can then be talked up. That is if he gets really lucky.

But will he get anything against Greece? In all likelihood Ireland will labour against Gibraltar.

People say Ireland don’t have the players. OK, the standard is low - but can people honestly say they are performing at the levels they should be?

I think the truth is Kenny is a nice fella, with grand plans. But he doesn’t know how to make Ireland perform at their level, nevermind the dream of better than the sum of their parts.

He is just a very limited manager, with a very limited team. Put the two together and this is what happens. A team and manager with a serious Lack of confidence, and underachieving.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I repeat it because people like to portray throwing away our best chance of automatic qualification for years by being incredibly negative as some sort of positive. We didn’t beat a lower seed(a sackable offence according to some here) and paid the price for it.

But other managers qualified for tournaments and at least got them within a good shot of qualifing.

With Kenny we have been out after the first international window, we have lost to teams we would never dream of losing to, and have struggled to beat the same teams

I wanted SK to succeed, I thought he could bring what he did with the U21s to the senior panel.

But it was clear early on that it wasn't working and that he was out of his depth.

And he needs to be gone, but he won't, he'll get the Euro campaign and they will struggle against Greece and Gibraltar in that, and they will struggle in the next Nations League and our ranking and coefficients will suffer, and we will drop down the seeding making it harder and harder to qualify in the future.

The knock on from this could last a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

"This means easy to play against for any team. The urgency has been taken out of the team." Maybe I watched different games to you under TRAP,MON and Mick. The only urgency I ever seen was in the last 10 mins when we were usually 1 down and sticking Shane Duffy upfront. Many of the teams failings and Kennys have been there for 10 years. It seems to be a problem with the players we have as a whole. Everything you mentioned, side ways passing etc. are a problem but i dont know what manager fixes that without a player of quality coming through. Many thought Ireland should be beating Norway despite them having a world class striker who wasnt even arsed turning up to play us and the Captain or Arsenal dictating play.

Again Kenny doesnt look like he will be the man long term, he still deserves the Euros in my opinion for what he has tried to do and change the culture and style of play but what he has tried to do is better than camping on the edge of our box for 80 mins and hoping to nick a draw. Football has moved on, many here need to as well and realise there's barely a player playing defensive football with their club so Kenny trying to play like the majority do with their team is trying to get the best out of them. Maybe the players are simply not good enough, maybe Kenny isnt good enough or maybe its both.

All the point you make about style of play, set pieces, sloppy defensive goals etc are all valid points but many of them are down to individual mistakes. Did people demand Seamus Coleman never play for Ireland again after not closing down the strike against Azerbaijan (if memory serves me right). Kenny is not responsible for a player not being able to finish from 10 yards or for a player who cant beat the front man from a set piece. I think people are putting all the blame on Kenny and giving the players an easy ride. Kenny deserves his fair share but to put all of what you have said on him is nonsense and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Bottom line is the senior managers Job is not a developement role , your job is to get results in whatever campaign your in and try to qualify for that tournament

If Kenny wanted to point to good work bringing through young players he should have stayed at the u 21 gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So you want less possession and more closing down without it? I'm unsure that's the logical next step for success.

Other managers weren’t asked to do what Kenny was asked to do. I really think it’s unfair to ask a manager to overhaul the squad and give experience to youth players and then in his first campaign say it’s not good enough, other managers wouldn’t have qualified either but they might have been out slightly later. Asking for a long term approach while also demanding results doesn’t make sense. He ended up finishing in third too which is basically par.

Unless we are to qualify this will be his last campaign and that will be fair enough. He’s had enough time with the players and if he’s reached his level then it’s best for all to move on. But I disagree that the effects of this could last a decade. If we get the right man in he will benefit from the players being given experience by Kenny and he won’t have to reinvent the wheel.

I would consider WC qualification unrealistic for us given the quality at our disposal so I’m fine with managers being given a WC to work with the players before a tilt at a more realistic qualification for the Euros.

• Advertisement

I said ages ago when/if decent manager comes in after Kenny he will get results. I actually think Mick should have stayed on, with Kenny as his assistant instead.

Then Mick could slowly phrase in Kenny’s kids. While focusing on Ireland’s strengths and masking their weaknesses- a style that will would have gotten results.

Posters talk about blooding players and Kenny, as if he was the only Irish manager in history to do so or something.

I think a lot of it is the next ‘bright young thing’ perception.

The fans had become desperate for something to cheer about. It was all about hope/faith and there was little else.

It was as if people thought lower the average age of the team = success will follow. But it is not how it works.

To me Kenny is like a young sub teacher on Jobbridge. A stop gap there until a better more experienced candidate arrives.

Not what I said at all structure, quick ball pace urgency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

As an original fan of the SK approach/philosophy I've now decamped because his teams/subs this friendly window have blown the whole youth/overhaul theory out of the window imo.

He's reverted to what we see in a lot of managers, depending on certain players regardless of performance/logic through entrenched loyalty. It's normally the start of the end.

His stock has definitely fallen enough that the offer of a part time gig with Ireland to help get better offers from club teams could be tempting. Big issue is he'll likely jump ship early when that offer comes and could leave us looking for a new manager mid campaign.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's hilarious

Its comes from the people who realise Kenny is a god awful manger at this level but won't admit it so they try to spin it in some way,

His job is to get results end of story , anything else is horse **** ,

• Advertisement

Honestly, I think the Ireland job is more likely to do more harm than good for anyone looking to put themselves in the shop window for a club. I mean, even beyond the total lack of control of what squad you have for any given window, we’re also in a group pretty much devoid of hope.

We’re just not in a position any up and comer would go near, especially at cut price wages. There’s literally no upside to the job for anyone who’s currently doing well in management, or who has done well previously and set a benchmark for their income.

this is the biggest issue with the ‘sack Kenny’ thing - no one that gets named in here is actually ever going to take it.

But you said in another post that you didn’t watch most of Mick’s games. And yet you think there was no urgency. Mick’s teams would at least most stay in games, and the set piece threat to worry the opponents.

If you look at recent Irish football history - three managers- two top and one decent. They all set up Ireland as hard to beat.

Now I am sure none of those managers wanted the team to hoof the ball aimlessly. But it ended up happening when the team were fearful/devoid of ideas. At times it was terrible to watch.

But at least the Irish team stayed in most games they played under the previous three managers to Kenny.

Now under Kenny we have lost defensive structure, urgency, pace and main hopes of attacking threat.

On top of that, What we now have is aimless possession football. Which I am sure Kenny does not want. But it is terrible to watch at times.

The managers pick the players. Good managers play to the strengths of the players available to get results. I would argue Kenny has not done that. He has sent Ireland backwards. Even taking into account the players available,

I get the impression with you that it is all about perception and philosophy.

If Mick got a good result with the the same players you likely would not have even watched it. Because your mind is made up.

If Kenny gets ANY good result or even a ‘positive’ performance you eulogise over it. Because in your view it is playing football ‘the right way’.

You seem to have put Kenny on such a pedestal as it is not going well, you have to find someone else to blame.

And you now want blame the players more. And you only slightly concede it ‘might’ be both.

The problem IS both - a limited team, with a limited manager. Not a good combination.

Even if the Kenny thing doesn’t work, the Mick thing definitely doesn’t work. Whatever happens we won’t be returning to that, we’ll need to be moving on to try something new.

Were we just negative against Ajarbaijan and Luxembourg when we disastrously dropped those five points at home last campaign or what do you blame that on?

Georgia held Denmark 0-0 that campaign as well. Hardly a freak result.

Chris Wilder isn't an up and coming young coach though and his base salary at Sheffield United, his best job so far was 675k with bonus incentives thrown in.

500k for a part time gig definitely fits the bill of tempting for someone like Wilder who might be waiting awhile for a club given more clubs are appointing young lads looking to break into management ala Michael Beale, Rob Edwards whose now at Luton, John Eustace, Russell Martin, and his replacement at Boro Michael Carrick.

Wilder started with Sheff U on 675k - he was on 1.5m annually by the time he left. (edit: actually seems he was on closer to 4 million after his last contract renewal in 2020!)

Also, it's not a part time job, so there's not much point describing it as such, and we're obviously not going to be offering it on those terms, with someone free to fck off as soon as they find something better... and on top of that, beyond the bit of short term money, it offers nothing to him. Like, he's more likely to scare off interest than to attract it. If he wants a short term job, he'll have no shortage of offers to take on some better paying Championship team that sacks its manager, on a 'till end of season' contract (big sam style), and in that case he actually has week to week control of his team, rather than the lottery of international squads.

(Also, I offered two categories of manager - up and coming "OR who has done well previously and set a benchmark for their income". He very much falls into the latter category).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'd actually say our urgency and pace have increased defensively as we have adopted more consistent pressing tactics rather than the dropping deep that we'd used to do. I'd also say that relying on set pieces as our main threat is actually showing a lack of urgency and pace.

I'd also argue that Trap and O'Neill after Euro 2016 did actively set us up to hoof it long and aimless.

Some of the criticism over possession football I find slightly odd. If a team is set up deep you expect to have a lot of the ball. Hitting long or with pace ain't going to make a huge amount of difference as the gap between the attack and midfield will be too large and the attackers will be swamped. If the opposition is playing a high line yes it will be more effective and at times in the 1st half when Malta played higher at times we had what could have been chances but Ogbene and Doherty miscontroled the ball at least once each. But against teams sitting deep it's not going to be a problem to our current woes.

What the two main issues are our lack of creativity in midfield which is a issue that every manager we choose will have and the 3 at the back formation against teams sitting deep which is a stick to beat Kenny with atm. At times we need more width when the midfield gets crowded particularly as left wing back is a problem position for us and Doherty isn't a reliable player in an attacking sense. Could do with some wingers at times.

The only likely candidates for me are ex high profile Irish international players. Any number would be proud to do the job. But certainly wouldn’t be doing it for the good of their health.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

This is it... most likely we're looking at ex-players, or managers who have not managed at a higher level yet - so likely up to LOI, League 1, maybe SPL level depending on the person and their career trajectory. We're just not gonna be in the running for any household names.

MON record 68 goals scored 56 against in 55 games

MICK 13 scored 7 against in 10 games

SK 36 scored 32 against in 30 games.

So based on stats we are not less defensively structured. I would rather try win the game rather than not lose. SK is the first manager in at least 15 years to praise the players and say they are good enough to play this way. All other managers said I dont have the players so this is why i play defensive shite football. None of them wanted to do the hard thing and actually coach the players to play in an attacking way. Theres a reason why Mick, MON, Chris Hughton no longer have club jobs, their football is long past its sell by date.

I said i didnt watch most of the games, usually turning off into the 2nd half after being so frustrated with us defending deep and conceeding ground to Gerogia, Gibraltar etc. The football was dire defensive muck. We hoofed and sat back from the 1st minute with all of those managers so dont rewrite history.

Under Kenny we have played well against the better teams and created chances against them unlike in previous campaigns, where they have struggled is against teams that play a low block. That has been a problem for 15 years also.

Ok so again with a squad now with players who are use to playing in a back 3 with wing backs, and young nippy forwards who like the ball to their feet are you saying we need to go back to the big man up top and sit in and defend for 8mins?

Kenny is trying to play football the right way, the way the rest of the world is. There are reasons why Gerogia have been dominant in possession against us every time we have played them over the last 15 years. For god sake look how comfortable Malta were on the ball the other night, most nations have moved on and some here think we should stand still or go backwards compared to the rest of the world.

Young players need time to get to know international football and they will make mistakes, I've said it multiple times that Kenny might not be the man but he deserves the Euros. I dont think we will ever qualify for a world cup again unless we find a once in generation group so the Euros are the only real option and the man deserves the chance to give it a go. If it doesnt go well then we move on and I would give the next guy in 4 years as well to build towards the next Euros. Short termism has to stop with Ireland we are not good enough for that. David Meyler said on OTB the other day he only felt comfortable at international level after 20 caps

• Advertisement

I didnt think we were negative, simply not good enough to break them down and then got beaten by two long range shots. If they finished 0-0 like Mick did against Gerogia, people would moan about it but it would be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,690 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes and no. There's far too much possession and passing for the sake of it.

You need at some point to coach patterns of play and passing. For all the going the right way, we are utterly predictable, move it around the midfielder, get it wide to a wing back, cross it, maybe get someone on it or a midfielder on to the second ball.

That's about it. We don't need to see James McClean, Coleman, Doherty. We know what they bring. Same with some of the squad players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We have been regressing for years, you only have to look at the current panel to see that.

Hoof ball is gone and belongs in the past.

I think Kenny is out of his depth, but he has the players at least trying to playfootball which is better than losing anyway by playing hoof ball.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You really have being indoctrinated. It is like Tom Cruise going on about Scientology! You have some way of spinning stats as well to suit the argument.

The fact last time Mick was manager Ireland just conceded 5 goals, in the whole qualifying campaign. Kenny can only dream of such a defensive record.

The most in a game McCarthy conceded in one game in that campaign was two goals. That is a fantastic consistency. In fact only two other teams in all the qualifying groups for euro 2020 conceded less goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭jacool

What was the score in that game, can you recall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't get Kenny is trying to play football the right way argument,

Under him we pass the ball around the back & deep in midfield & the opposition sit off and let us, Once we decide to try & progress we lose the ball , Passing for passing is not the correct way,

Normally we go behind first & then have a proper go & Kennys "Tactics " go out the window & we get a few chances & the odd goal because we go much more direct ,

Trying to "playfootball" is nonsense is about getting results something Kenny is allergic to ,

What Mick did requires little actual work. 10 behind the ball and hoof to the lone forward. We conceded 5 because we had so many bodies behind the ball at all times. We scored 7 which is a pathetic return when we had a team like Gibraltar in the group. For reference, Switzerland and Denmark scored 19 and 23 respectively(while conceding 6 each).

To get a team functioning defensively on its own is easy, getting them to create consistent chances is hard. Kenny was at least trying to do this.

International managers are not coaches. They are managers. They have the players for a week at a time three to four times a season.

Their job is qualification, not babysitting or development.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't mind most of your post but can you explain why, when young players need international minutes as you say - instead of using said young players he throws on Hendrick and Robbie Brady in a friendly? They don't exactly need the minutes.

• Advertisement

Does it? It gets results gets a limited team to overachieve. Surely that is the objective to get a team playing greater than the sum of their parts. Mick did that and got the results. Kenny is living in a fantasy land I think. He is doing the opposite of overachievement, underachievement.

All this new style of play talk is nonsense, you play a style that suits the players and gets the best out of them. This 'style' does not. The players cannot do it properly.

And I would disagree with what another poster said - that International managers are not coaches they can be. The good ones improve the players they have put even limited players in a structure and style that will they will excel in - keeping it simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement