Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It seems like there's a few things at play stopping Trump coming back to Twitter:

- Like you say, he's agreed that he has to post on Truth Social first and with I think a 6 hour gap before he can post the same thing on Twitter

- Trump is still pursuing legal action (including punitive damages) against Twitter due to having been banned in the first place. Musk just letting him back on isn't a win, and might damage his case against them

- Musk and other money-men behind Twitter (like Peter Theil) appear to be backing DeSantis for 2024 rather than Trump. I read earlier that Trump may feel posting on Twitter might be a trap or otherwise damaging in that regard

As the Romans used to say, never misquote classical, historical figures, or you will look like an eegit!

Famous line comes from a letter to Charlemagne and meant the exact opposite!

“Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.”

“Nor to listen to those who are wont to say, The voice of the people, the voice of God, when the tumult of the common people is always close to madness.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Even if he starts using Twitter again, there's no guarantee that Trump's guff will be as impactful. The biggest thing counting against Trump may not be his age or his election record or his divisiveness, but just that his act is getting old and he doesn't have the inclination/capacity to reinvent himself or his message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ah, I see, an earlier poster said these were wiped.

Does that mean Twitter is reinstating what was there before, or does it mean those users re-followed Trump?

It takes a while for their systems to repopulate accounts, but I would suspect that someone wiped his controversial tweets, probably for legal reasons.

• Advertisement

It was more than likely Twitter's system reinstating what was there before.

The vast majority of users who had been following him wouldn't have unfollowed him when he was banned, because what would be the point? The account was banned, so unfollowing wouldn't change anything.

So the account now being unbanned means those accounts are now following him again. Due to the amount, it just took a few hours for Twitters systems to update what accounts were following him (especially since he had approx. 85m followers).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The number of likes and followers and all that on twitter has always seemed dodgy and inflated to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Trump being reinstated is not a problem because Twitter will collapse any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Even Trump isn't stupid enough to think that Musk may not just suspend him again on a whim.

Well he is, but at least one flunkey in Mar-a-Lago will see to it.

Trump doesn't want to be beholden to anyone, over anything, especially someone FAR smarter and WAY richer than he.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Looking at his twitter page, all his last posts are his multi tweet screeds egging on the January 6 riots. I wonder to who's advantage it is that Trump was brought back

It would probably be best if he just tweets out 50 tweets about sleepy joe to get that off the timeline, or request to be banned again. Rather than remind everyone about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i would say "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing", but there's probably more context to that quote than I'm aware of ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I don't think any of his tweets were deleted. But the legal reasons for deleting them would be for inciting sedition.

People pleading guilty to Jan 6 charges have mentioned (in their defense) that they only decided to do it based on Trump's tweets.

If someone decided to storm the Capital tomorrow based on him reading Trump's tweets which are now unblocked, who would be responsible.... Trump or Twitter?

Are you going to say nobody, cause it was a coup organised by the woke left in a pizza parlour?

As Del Trotter would say, “Mange tout, Bain Marie!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

tbh i was surprised to see all(?) his previous tweets still up after the account was reinstated, you'd think Twitter would have given him a heads-up and Team Trump would have deleted a good chunk of them...

It wouldn't matter much. The tweets are long since a matter of public record, and have been screenshot and transcribed many times over. They're part of the evidence in the Jan 6th investigation.

So everyone already has the tweets, and Team Trump deleting them would signal that there was something wrong with those tweets that warranted deletion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Elon Musk's meme game reminds of that kid at school who was the last one to be in on a joke and then started repeating it over and over to make up for lost time. The joke would then be discarded due to overuse and the neediness of the latecomer to ruthlessly milk it for increasingly weaker laughter and eventual eye-rolling or topic-changing from those fed up of hearing it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's more that of a guy who is actually not very funny or likable in person who desperately wants people to think he's cool and not the weird unpleasant guy that he actually is , so he tries way too hard and uses inappropriate or simply just not funny attempts at humour.

He just ends up coming across as even more weird and even less likable, achieving exactly the opposite of what he so desperately hopes for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Advertisement

There’s an effortless cool that you just can’t buy or learn and if you try too hard, it comes across as fake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Careful now. If this thread has shown anything it's that the projection is strong when it comes to Elon Musk; far from Liberals crying into their avocado, it's the clatter of humourless Muskohlics who can't countenance anything but sheer genius in all his decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He was probably just too busy laying the groundwork for his multi billion dollar fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Used to watch videos by a guy called Thunderfoot on Youtube. H liked to tear down bullshit products like solar roadways and those dehumidifier water bottles. He made a lot of videos tearing apart Musk. He must be feeling really vindicated right now.

It's open season on him now, not sure he'll manage to patch up his image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So Musk has ruled out Alex Jones return

"Elon Musk has said he will not reinstate the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on Twitter, saying he has “no mercy” for people who capitalise on the deaths of children for personal fame."

"Before the wave of reinstatements in recent days, Musk had said there would be no change to the status of banned accounts until a newly announced “content moderation council” had met. He had later added that no bans would be lifted until there was a “clear process for doing so”.

Then he decided to lift a bunch of bans himself.

Almost like the desire for personal control over Twitter trumped the cost of a bad business decision, oh to be a billionaire..

I'd say he's in the midst of a manic episode at this point. The company is fubar'ed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean at this stage, minds are made up & you got those who'll LOL and find the shítposting that of genius; then you got the rest of us rolling our eyes going ... Okay Elon.

He's still the guy that chose to name his child X Æ A-12 like it's a perfectly normal thing to do. It remains demonstrative proof his decision-making is not flawless by any stretch.

“Do you want to feel good at night or do you want to feel good in the morning?"

My favourite Amis line. Seems apt for Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Company will fail due to not having revenue. people let go are we happy when all of them are gone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You got me.

He's made billions of dollars and he is a hugely influential player on a global scale yet he's still shitposting like some insecure teenage troll. Just goes to show that money can't buy you happiness.

Advertisement