Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I think the female Garda did all she could here, likely if it was another male Garda, he'd have been on the ground also getting a kicking, they'd be just overpowered. The real problem is they are not armed, being properly armed evens the field in terms of female/male physical abilities, the scrotes would know this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the number of rapes reported has skyrocketed by 23%

the numbers of murders being investigated are up 7%

Assault causing harm has seen a major increase in the year on year crime stats with attacks up 34 per cent on 2021 and 14 per cent on the pre-pandemic levels in 2019.

Domestic violence cases are also up 13 per cent this year.

CSO can verify ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

It’s not just about stopping guards from being killed it’s to protect them from assaults like this. Why should that guard have faced a beating like this? I don’t believe this would have happened if both those guards had guns. And if a scumbag oversteps the mark and gets shot I’m ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hustlenbustle

Too many scum, not enough severe punishment for their scummy behaviour.

Their scummy friends will praise them _ I hope they're in custody and given the severest punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I believe Ireland is 11th in the EU for  police-recorded offences per 100k population.

Would you take a walk or drive into large parts of Dublin at night alone with the protection of those stats in mind?

Not arming regular officers with Tasers or Gas and sending them into a volatile situation like what happened in Ballyfermot isn't making parts of the city any safer. And i'm no expert like most on here but in other jurisdictions i'm sure two unarmed officers wouldn't be sent in without armed backup...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In Dublin and probably other cities too we should have a dedicated 'public order' unit on standby 24/7. A least 12 sturdy fit young and single with body armour, helmets, riot shields and batons (real ones). Ferried to a trouble spot/potential trouble spot by an armoured van with a water cannon. Sawthis in the UK one Saturday night. Just standing down a side street ready to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's the problem, she did all she could and might as well not have been there

Two male gardai would have meant that, at worst, one Garda is not on the ground getting a kicking from four lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

She would have been calling for urgent backup while her colleague was having his head kicked in by the sc(mbags outside the pub..

She could potentially have been killed by a sufficiently powerful punch so did the right thing and called for help...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why should assaults on the gardai warrant lengthier prison sentences than assaulting a member of the public, Irish citizens are supposed to be equal, imposing longer sentences on those who assault garda is not equality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

the number of rapes reported has skyrocketed by 23%

Figures released by gardaí show a 23pc increase in the reported instances of rape in the first six months of this year when compared to 2021. It also represents an 11pc rise on 2019,

So 11% rise on 2019.

The increase in sexual offences figures may relate to a change in reporting behaviour whereby victims are increasingly likely to report sexual crime.

“Furthermore, ongoing efforts by An Garda Síochána regarding improvement of data quality and recording may be a contributing factor to the upward trend in recorded incidents of both sexual offences and crimes against the person in recent years.

“It therefore cannot be concluded that the increase

in sexual offences is solely due to an increased level of incidents occurring.”

The last Guard that was killed was done so by his own gun.

Where did I say Ireland doesn't have criminality?

I said statistically they are one of safest countries in the world, it's not my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Have some family there, been quiet for a long time but recently gangs of teenage thugs roam around throwing rocks, destroying cars, even smashed house windows and tried to break into a few houses/gates. Gardai advised the residents to sit quiet and ignore it, they will go away.

So my advice to our dear Garda getting assaulted is the same, ignore it, they will go away. The reason people think it's fine to assault a Garda, the reason they have no respect is because Garda have no powers and don't do **** until the situation is WAY out of their league.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Because of common sense ,

If someone is willing to assaults a Garda a person of power who can arrest you & are part of the process which can take your freedom , Then what would they be willing to do to your average man/women ,

A Garda's job is to up hold the law if someone is willing to assault them while they are trying to do so there should be hashers sentences, Just like if they assaulted a paramedic or Fireman ,

Also again from a common sense human point of view t people who become Garda & take the job need to feel some what more protected , They need to have a sense of security in the work they are asked to carry out if not why would people sign up ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Politicans seem to ignore the breakdown of law and order in case their accussed of discrimination by the WOKE brigade.

A 12 year old boy struck a garda on Halloween night in our town encouraged by a mob of older relations & cousins with a large stick and the garda working on his own just took the three or four belts and walked away meekly in the opposite direction knowing there was nothing he could do about it and the government & judges dont care, sad times .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Many of the gardai I notice are over weight slobs, horsing back chicken fillet rolls and crisps at lunch time. Out of breath going for a stroll of the town. If they don't take their job seriously, why the fcuk would anyone else.

How often do these gardai get trained in unarmed combat?

Do they keep themselves fit? Are they held accountable to be fit. Is there a universal standard?

AGS is partly to blame, as is the government but so too are the gardai themselves, especially the ones who do nothing to upskill themselves.

There's a fair chance you'll be involved in many altercations, therefore prepare and train yourself for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How do you know she called for backup? "Sorry Sean, than looks a bit dicey for little ol me, so you're just going to have take that kicking for now, not to worry though, I called it in"

It's not her fault, she was put in that role. The blame is with the people who have selected candidates that are not fit for these sort of roles with obvious consequences. Then we have to pretend that having two old school coppers would not have made all the difference in that situation, rather than admit the obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Why then are so many trying g to get I to the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Suggest you ask those applying and report back.

If there were old style men there the story would have been about 'police' brutality and pub goers being put in hospital!

The lads involved should have their houses raided, their families and friends houses raided, sledges and plunge saws to help check under floor boards and dry lining etc.

This attack will be forgotten by the Govt within a few days. Mcentee isn't the most engaged Minister.

Size mattered in these situations..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Not a good couple of months for the local area. First up in Cherry Orchard we had the young scum rallying their robbed cars and ramming a garda car with two female gardai inside. This was met with a roar as loud as Dublin scoring a goal into Hill 16 by the approving lowlives salivating at the fare on offer.

Only a couple of weeks later a car was hijacked in broad daylight in nearby Parkwest.

And on to last night where once again the local spectators and riff raff seemed to revel at the sight of a garda getting the proverbial knocked out of him. The only surprising thing to me was the female guard didn't get similiar punishment for to thugs like these any person in a uniforn is fair game.

Who knows that female guard may have been one of them rammed up the road while back.

And who knows what goes on a daily basis that we don't see or hear about.

The moral in Ballyfermot Garda Station must be on the floor. What next the Irish version of Assault on Precinct 13? It's a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The main problems at play here are:

1) Scumbags getting away with their many crimes.

2) Minister for justice more concerned about words than actual crime.

3) Garda recruitment is a shambles. Sorry, but an average lad and a 5 foot whatever girl were lucky to get out of there alive. Traditionally a Garda had to be tall and would be able to handle themselves. Woke politics has turned our police force into a rotten circus.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

RTE Garda spokesman said 179 injuries and off work in the last month alone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

What's the Minister of Justice take on this ? They have been saying the Garda are funded and getting all the supports needed...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement