Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect there will be long and hard discussions for years to come over the point of the lockdowns. The earlier ones are hard to disagree with, the question of how long they should have continued will be debated for a long time. There are already indications that children have paid a hefty price for school closures. These kind of trade offs are exactly what politician's are there to decide though and who bear the ultimate responsibility.

Ah lad,the masks clearly worked to slow spread....the fact they aren't bothering with em anymore,is just horrendous poor leadership on behalf of government.....we effectively wiped out influenza for one winter FFS with em,the notion masks didn't slow it down is head-in-sand stuff

And others would probably view it differently. If the vast majority of people really didn't want things to open up around Christmas they would not have so enthusiastically engaged with everything that opened up.

These have never been straightforward decisions and while they obviously didn't get everything right Ireland did well in comparison to equivalent countries. So either terrible leadership is endemic absolutely everywhere or it was a difficult issue to get on top of. I have zero time for anyone suggesting there was an obvious route forward and am thankful they are not in charge of anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

But masks only reduced your chances of getting it. Not outcome on how bad you got it. I think the use of hand sanitizer was the biggest help and washing hands not touching the face. Coughing into the elbow and social distancing. Mask are a bit of a white elephant. First lockdown was fine needed to try one. In the end it's just vaccines.

People are free to view it differently,I've no issue anyone doing so.....just feel I'm within reason to point out my view, factually and politely.....

That opening up with rising COVID infections and no vaccines resulted in thousand of needless deaths (seriously compare death/infection rates pre/post vaccines and it's night and day-its a miracle of modern science!),and it's reasonable to hold to account,and query devotion to those who made these decisions

• Advertisement

Anyway it's not a covid thread will leave it there.

To best of my knowledge,masks massively reduced the chance of spreading it,if ya have it.....and given they were claiming huge numbers had it/spread it while with no sythoms.....seemed reasonable to me anyway🤷

not massively, most studies suggest marginal improvement. Which is still an improvement, but these things need to be balanced.

The mandates are being removed the world over for a reason though. They were and are wildly unpopular.

THis is indeed not a covid thread, but its just another example of the Irish govt getting criticised as if they are unique in a global phenomenon.

Questioning the devotion to someone,when their most high profile policy for years of a "meaningful Xmas", undoubtedly caused thousands of deaths isn't critism,it's a reasonable critical analysis imo

If someone deosnt want their leadership/decision-making skills questioned...they perhaps shouldn't seek/be in positions of leadership/decision making

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

I'm sure the families of those who died in care homes and those who died due to "a meaningful Christmas" take solace in comparative stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

"And others would probably view it differently. If the vast majority of people really didn't want things to open up around Christmas they would not have so enthusiastically engaged with everything that opened up."

Polling at the time showed support for a continuation of restrictions. This was all discussed at the time and no point going over old ground. They gave into lobbyists and caused 1000s of unnecessary deaths. Then we saw a complete rehash of the Celtic Tiger "we all partied" bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are correct, children's education suffered badly because of school closures, but if you remember correctly there was huge criticism of the government from the usual sources (populist opposition parties, trade unions, disgruntled posters) when they kept the schools open as much as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

By at the latest july 2020 , it was clear that this wasn’t the Black Death and that severe risk was limited to the very old and feeble, we paid an extraordinary price to extend the lives of eighty five year olds to eighty six , so many people bought into the sheer public respectability of lockdowns and mask wearing that I don’t believe any sort of admission of it having been a huge mistake will ever happen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I was wondering why we hadn't had a poll update recently from the resident experts and why this thread had gone quiet. So I had a look and I discovered that Red C had published a poll yesterday.

It seems that the recent increase in support for FG is moving outside the margin of error and they are now well above their general election performance. Seems strange when so many were predicting their demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did anyone hear Josepha Madigan this morning on the radio? Terrible interview. She hasn't a clue about her brief (Special Education) - a few probing questions and she resorted to the typical FFG tactic of saying the same coached line over and over. Another FG minister that achieved zero since election.

And don't start me on the Children's Hospital disaster. Now they won't even tell us what it's going to cost. They are all over the shop as per usual.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do they forget that its OUR money being spent on that hospital??? the arrogance telling us we don't need to know what they think its going to cost, between this and the shambles yesterday of ministers trying to defend the indefensible of the bankers bonus they have really really pissed off people in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

So many kids are being failed daily in this state. Two speech and language professionals in our local HSE centre. Some kids have not been seen since their diagnosis. No occupational therapists in the same centre. Kids been passed on from early intervention to school age team without being seen . Some joke. Copy and paste reports when they are seen with the wrong names. A great way to treat people in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

Whilst not a fan of the current government I agree with this. I don't think government positions should be traded around. A change of Taoiseach should really involve a general election and a mandate from the people.

• Advertisement

"it is difficult to see how Fianna Fáil would be attracted by the prospect of becoming the junior partner of Sinn Féin rather than the equal partner of Fine Gael."

I have been saying this for quite a while. A variation of the current coalition is the most likely option after the next election.

Next most likely option is the FF/SF government, but it would require a much stronger FF and a weaker SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Is Mr Tayto on the way out?

Isn't it wonderful - Fine Gael taking the reins again and all basic services in a shambles and getting worse year on year. 2023 will be a very telling year.

Some headlines this week

The Irish Hospital Consultants Association (IHCA) has expressed "dismay that the Government is on course to miss waiting list reduction targets for 2022 by a significant margin".

Hospitals under record levels of pressure as patient in one Munster A&E waits 5 DAYS for bed.

Scene of 'total chaos' outside Drogheda hospital as 11 ambulances can't leave due to lack of beds.

Hospital overcrowding: Patient waited 116 hours on trolley, report finds.

Health watchdog Hiqa has warned patients are not protected from harm in 3 out of 7 hospital emergency departments inspected with at least one patient waiting 116 hours on a trolley.

The housing crisis is spilling out into a social crisis for the education, health and business sectors, the Dáil has heard.

Various reports have highlighted that Ireland’s rents and housing prices are soaring amid a severe shortage of supply, with homeless figures reaching all-time highs for four consecutive months.

Rents have increased four-and-a-half times faster in Ireland than in Europe over the last decade.

Housing crisis threatens education system

-----------------

Well done FFG. You are alienating voters every single day. Long may it last.

Does this handover really merit a four-hour 'RTE News Special'? I suppose it's something unprecedented...

Very interesting week actually. 2 things stood out.

Mary Lou did not get nominated for Taoiseach. Why not? SF are 'calling' for an election but they 100% do not want one. Who would want to take power now with all the problems FFG have created as interest/inflation rates rising and a recession looming in 2023. None of the opposition want an election now. And Leaky Leo is way more toxic than Martin - timing works perfectly.

FF have been trying to distance themselves from the housing disaster and FG's cuckoo fund love-in. I keep hearing this phrase from FF TDs - "we inherited a housing situation caused by 10 years of no building". It's always that word "inherited". I think they are sowing the seeds for their defence of the housing crisis in 2024. However SF's motion of no confidence has meant that O'Brien will keep housing which isn't what FF want.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of what use is democracy, if it cannot be seen to be in action?

As much of a set-piece as this is, the most basic function of the news and current affairs arm of the State broadcaster is to show such things.

IIRC the events of the election of Taoiseach have been covered live for many decades.

I guess.

Although the volume of posts on the handover/reshuffle in this thread an the irish Politics one may reflect the level of interest in the subject even among the nerds on here...

Why did the Green lad not get it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That clown couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery let alone have the final decision on running the country.

He's the Irish version of Clark Griswold.

Advertisement