Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for land

Options
  • 09-11-2022 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Has anyone looked into a loan for land lately? Was told 7.3% unsecured and 6.3 secured but 3 year longer term and have to pay for the banks solicitor. They are variable rates. How does that sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Paying for solicitors tends be standard with the fcukers. Secured rate seems high, what margin are they talking about? Rates could rise more yet so starting at that point seems high. Best to approach all banks and see what's the best offer

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Makes land very expensive specially when you stick stamp duty on it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

The latest scam is that you have to pay a commercial valuer a couple of thousand euro. They give you a panel to choose from. I'm actually a qualified valuer myself. About 150 euro would be a fair rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The only thing about the solicitor is it will cover other future loans you might need aswell if you stay with the same bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

5.5 is good mine is 7.2 since recent increase and mine is secured and with AIB. Mine started at 5.8 and gone up since

• Advertisement

Just checked online was 5.51 on the 29th of August and gone up nearly every week since; went up 5 times in October alone. Think we need an Irish Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Unfortunately interest rates are only going one way for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

When you say margin I persume you mean loan to value? In that case 50% the interest rate has come back ever so slightly in the last week but by a tiny amount. That quite above was of boi, must try the other banks. Ya only get one shot at these things unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

What is meant by secured and unsecured out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No by margin I mean what margin are the the bank taking from that rate. Rate quoted would consist of banks margin and the cost of funds or interest they are getting it at. At 6.5 they must be taking a margin of 4 or more I'd imagine.

If borrowing is only 50% they are taking the piss imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

So basically they can take the land back off you until you’re very last repayment is paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

Think it's the land which is given as security - and don't think it can be the same land for which the loan is sought but could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea it’s the land you have the loan on.

5% here with BOI but that’s is about 7 years now. Might go up with recent interest rates but no notice of that yet.

have being overpaying so will have it paid off in 3 years. I know allot of people say don’t overpay and let inflation take allot out of the cost but just want to clear and move onto the next plan.

Always thought interest on buying land was low but the repayment years were short ? And I mean low interest like 3%

Well typical land loan is 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a lot to be said for over paying.

There are sound reasons not to but it is a relief to see it shrinking to safer level, inflation can help from there on.

some one here said you have to think of loans the same as electricity etc it’s just a bill to get capital and get use to paying it ongoing. However remember the first two years were tight and after that I was grand but in the current macro environment I’d prefer not to be too exposed. The farm wouldn’t justify the investment it is really the full time job that ensures I’m comfortable. But when it came up beside me it’s hard to not take the opportunity.

I think the extra payments on variable loans are more than worth it.

You could let a 7% on 100k/15yr loan take care of itself over the tenure and end up paying +60k interest, if you hit an extra 100/m it would save ~11k dead money in the long run (and shortens it 2.5yrs), extra 200/m saves ~19k in long run (and shortens it 4.5yrs). That's just tipping away on a consistent basis.

Also if you hit it heavier and earlier that's the important part as the interest (dead money) tallies up while the balance is at its largest.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Valid points. Having purchased a piece of ground in recent years overpaying a loan in the early days is difficult. As in my position I purchase extra stock and also put up a new shed (another loan). But I am now starting to get by self in a position to pay off the loan earlier with over payments my plan is to have it paid off one year early. Took some careful cash flow management over the last few years to make it all work. If the opportunity comes again in the next few years I would definitely consider doing the same again if my financial situation allows. But as I no longer qualify as a young farmer and good few years past 35 I would definitely have to think long and hard on that bloody stamp duty.

What is the situation if a farmer sold a small parcel of land to purchase a larger bit that was in a more suitable location for example with stamp duty etc. is there allowances is this case.

• Advertisement

Stamp duty relief yes if sells with 24 months after purchase and same period if sells before. If sale oh his land after pays stamp at full and then gets refund when sells his land.

Yes Stamp duty is paid on the net value of land bought minus sold

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think that for consolidation relief you also have to have some kind of report from Teagasc confirming why it makes your holding more viable/economic. So that will take a little bit out of any savings made too even if it is a box ticking exercise for you. I could be wrong on that though

I don't think that you could sell 20 acres beside you and invest it in 5 acres of agricultural zoned land close to a village 20 miles away in the hope of it being developed in 30 years, and get relief on that transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭japprentice

You got on fine without Ivanka in that hotel room with those ladies urinating on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

just wondering what would peoples opinion be when it comes to dealing with banks about a land loan, which bank is the best? A few months back I was enquiring about a loan, I deal with BOI and I didn’t find them great, the person I was dealing with in the branch had different criteria to the person in head quarters in Dublin when it came to a a despot, there was a difference of €20000 between the two which I found hard to believe, didn’t purchase in the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think if you are borrowing to buy land now you are paying for the time farm organisation's protest outside farms or land where farmers have failed to repay there loans.

Borrowed in early noughties to buy land. In the end the end the rate I was paying was 1.5% above ECB rate.

Rates I see above quoted for secured borrowing is similar to machinery and car loans. This for a sum that will be 3-10 times larger and over a longer period.

Similar mortgage lending is half the price at a variable rate. Did many lads look for a fixed rate and what kind of rates were on offer. Generally over the last five years fixed rates have been more competitive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

How is interest calculated on a land loan? Just say you borrow €150000 over 15 years what would your annual repayments be? Would your first year be higher than your last or is the total interest spread out over the total loan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Interest isn't totally dead money as it's allowed as a tax expence

Advertisement