Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2022 General Tournament Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don’t think players should have to make political statements for their countries or fans. That’s up to politicians. Spineless gits won’t upset an oil nation so wait to see how the wind is blowing before opening their mouths.

Yes, Qatar has highly questionable ideas about rights we all take for granted but why does anyone think they can change that by brow beating them into submission.

This tournament was awarded 10 years ago and the political stuff just got steam in the final 2 months. It will all be forgotten about in 6 months.

USA game was a ok game. Very much a game of two halves for performances. It was the right result. Saw nothing else today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You saw the best match of the three, I think. England match no contest. Holland v Senegal was cagey enough for a lot of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You missed the point of my own issue but I'm conscious the thread would be better if it was football focused so I'll leave it at that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not impressed from any game yet.

Poland vs Mexico tomorrow should be lively and hopefully get the tournament going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It wasn't hollow at all. FIFA had to pull out unprecedented rules to stop it. Which only makes the armband look far more dangerous than it actually was.

Its like the knee. If the anti knee people just shut up and stopped virtue signaling taking the knee would have been forgotten in weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The tournament was awarded 12 years ago, and all the many issues with it (from logistics to ideologies) have been the main topics of conversation about it for all 12 of those years. And I'd say it's ramped over up significantly over the last 2 or 3 years rather than just the last 2 months. At no point has the football been to the fore of conversations around this tournament, which speaks to how dumb an appointment it was.

With this being the most controversial, divisive tournament award in history, it's not too surprising that these issues continue through it. I think it's only right that that is a part of the conversation here too... though perhaps it's a good policy that while any given match is on live, the conversation stays with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

England game must have set some sort of record. If it wasn't the full two hours it was very close...

I really enjoyed the Wales, USA game felt like a proper world cup game with a lot on the line, not the best football match but certainly the best contest, both teams for the most part left everything out there.

As a fan of the dutch I was disappointed with them but maybe I'm not giving Senegal enough credit but it was far from total football, it was very direct at times in the 2nd half and the execution of that was even poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think trying to pretend it’s business as normal and let’s talk about Senegal vs Holland is ridiculous. This tournament is a stain on the game, bottom line. If you plod along and watch it like normal you are complicit.

We’re all going to be on the edge of our seats next year watching the Irish women play in a World Cup. Numerous players on that team - including our magnificent captain - are members of the LGBTQ+ community. It just highlights what a terrible and unacceptable decision it was / is to host the Men’s tournament in a country that doesn’t offer basic rights to women and homesexuals.

Talk about the football? Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

Talking about football on the soccer forum. I mean how more ridiculous can things get. To be honest I've no interest in the sexual orientation of any player.. just play the game or stay at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Speak for yourself.

How am I, or anyone else here, being complicit in watching it? Are we actively engaging in pro-Qatari government demonstrations by following a sport we have followed all our lives? We must be huge homophobes!

And if I wasn't at the edge of my seat watching Netherlands-Senegal yesterday, I definitely won't be during any woman's game- that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Was wondering what happened with the armband thing. They just capitulated. Infantino should be hounded out of his job. Pathetic from Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A capitulation surely - I'd blame the players a little less than the Associations though. The players obviously felt exposed - if they had got strong backing from their associations then they probably would have went ahead with it, but they and the associations just look stupid and cowardly after backing down so easily. In fairness though, I would be of the opinion that all of these symbols should be kept off the kits and strips for all these games, including the likes of the poppy that is made such a big thing of among our neighbours every year. There is enough place for politics, leave it off the strip (and I'd also say at this stage myself there is enough place for politics apart from this thread - it will be my last non-game contribution here)

The irony is that in spite of everyone laughing at Gianni's rant, he's even more likely to be reelected to the top job - that sort of dogmatic stuff will play well with a lot of the Asian and African federations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I thought it was a penalty at the time. VAR took a minute or more to inform the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Top man is up and running

Argentina up from the spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Dingaan

The commentary team on RTE is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Soft pen. We see incidents like that in every game.

And we're off...

• Advertisement

You wouldn't if the law was enforced consistently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Commentary team doing my head in. ‘Can’t give that as you would have 5 or 6 penalties a game’ is their argument. In other words, you can’t give a foul because that foul happens a lot!

In fairness, How many games would have 5 penalties before defenders realise they can’t get away with grabbing players and actually try to defend properly? 1 or 2?

Penalty all day, but refs need to give them all.

It’s a foul. As long as they give a penalty for all such fouls, I have no issue.

argies seem heavily backed but I’m really not sure about that 11, looks fairly so so.

They won't though, will they? Not every team has Messi in it.

The logic is about why be selective in enforcing it. The next game will have the usual grappling contest at corners and nothing will happen. If they really wanted to stamp that out they would give 5 or 6 pens a game but they won't.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with Messi. Iran got one yesterday. England didnt, but should have, which is the inconsistency they need to get rid of.

Alan Cawley, that’s who it is, thanks!

Yeah, ‘sorry Guard, you can’t do me for speeding, sure don’t I always speed!’ :)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Why do we get this cartoon representation of the offside decision? Surely VAR is standardised and should be able to show the offside as we see it elsewhere?

Saudis could be thrashed worse than Iran. Nice finish by Lautaro.

Offside to the rescue.

Need to see another replay of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What’s wrong with Alan Cawley? Doing a good job I think

Need to see another replay of that.

Edit - T-shirt line offside

Now another offside. Silly from Argentina really.

Masters of the offside trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

At least Kenny won't need to tell these lads to get up the pitch! 😂

Credit to the Saudis. They're hanging in there. Suspect the floodgates will open with an Argentinian second.

When a world cup is being hosted in a country because of politics and corruption how can you leave politics out of it.

Unless you want to just put you head in the sand about it and if you do that's fair enough but then you shouldn't be talking about the politics all the time.

Fifa knew about the arm bands for a long time and only at the last minute decided to spring this,.so any ire you have if you want to talk politics should be thrown there way. Or at least give the fa's and players a chance to see if they still do something before judging them on a decision they had to make with little time and under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not impressed with the Argentina midfield, sloppy, losing the ball all over the place.

Good insight from the RTE pundits to be fair. Wasn't a pen as Paredes clamps the lad's arm. Didn't spot it initially but they're right.

Saudi goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Easy for you to say that “all these symbols should be left off the strip”. When in reality some symbols are left on in some arenas while others are outlawed in other arenas. It’s rank hypocrisy and why shouldn’t it be discussed? A big rant from yourself and your opinions on these political matters and then say you’re not discussing it anymore?, you seem to want to have it both ways.

I think Richie Sadlier has it spot on when he criticises FIFA for attempting to stop discussions re these political issues like LGBT people facing 7 years in jail or the death penalty and the deaths of migrant workers. FIFA want people to stop talking about it. To hell with that and with them. Infantino knows the audience he’s preaching to well enough, you’re right about that.

• Advertisement

Saudi definitely the best authoritarian regime on display so far anyway.

2-1 SAUDIS!

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Holy shït, Argies behind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wow! What a goal. Saudi Arabia lead 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

What a great goal !! Argentina crumbling at the back

They deserve it tbh. Completely different game since the half started.

We'll see can the Qatari paid Messi become Maradona now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The women's game has come on leaps and bounds and I know plenty who watched the last game who's impression of women's soccer is changing

• Advertisement

Argentina looking very unimpressive.

Saudi lads physicality is impressive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement