Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan for land

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

It’s spread evenly through the term of the loan. BOI add on the interest quarterly so your balance is going up and down. For that amount you’d be looking somewhere around 1300 a month. You could pay off additional if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

The problem I encountered was they weren’t interested in what I had in savings or my off farm employment they wanted to see my tax bill, even though I was making good money on my livestock enterprise and had a record of leasing a farm for over 10 years seemly I wasn’t paying enough tax, they said I would be better off with a higher tax bill going forward if I was looking for money in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They just want to see high profits to show repayment capacity. Repayment capacity is the number 1 really, security after that but as Bass alluded to above they know claiming that security in case of default is difficult here. Prob better doing application early in the year and show the prepared accounts and then once its gone thru then work on whatever to reduce the tax side again if possible. Of it runs late in the year they'll want final accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I believe the bank wants the genuine accounts that will be sent to revenue on your taxation date, don't think prepared accounts, or makey up figures will hack it,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wasn't suggesting makey up figures. They'll want 3 years accounts as well as up to date ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I know, just saying it's not like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Well thank the lads in that farm down in Cork who were too busy on Ireland fittest family and the lads that beat the crap out of the Baliffs in Roscommon for that.

When I think about it I got over 250k in 2003 with figures on the back of a matchbox

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

That's interesting, my loan wasn't on the farm account at the time so was unaware. So at the end of a year, the interest portion of the loan can be written off?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

1300 a month of just interest?that’s madness

No he said the repayments on 150kover 15 years was 1300/ month. But you could make higher payments if you wanted to. This would reduce the lenght of the loan

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just got notice ofnew interest rzte on land loan and its 4.39 % .started 3 .2 7 years ago.repayments can be done almost any way you like but the norm is the the principle plus interest at the current rate divided over the lifetime of the loan.eg(rough figures)

Loan 100000 at 10 % over 10 years

Roughly cost 60 k in interest over the 10 years so your repayments would be 16000 a year.the firstyear you pay 10000 in interest and and only 6000 off the loan but as years go on the interest.part of the payment would go down as the principle goes down so say by the last year the last payment may consist of 14 000 in principle and 2 000 in on interest.just remember the last years payment will cost you more in tax than the first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

You are right I took out a machinery loan this year for 3 years and it is the same rate as the land loan. Wonder how the below will change things. I have loans a plenty plus mortgage. 2 things will say all abour repayment capacity and they can be a millstone. Anyone with young family or thinking starting a family think long and hard. Plenty of land to rent and you can walk away from it and the rent tax deductable.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

The question is tho is renting land dead money tho

No why would be? Lots of lads have cars, jeeps and farm machinery on lease or HP and no issue with it. Why rent of land any different 260 an acre to rent land?

Just for example. If you rented that and went into all the schemes damn near get the land and sheds for nothing. Better value than trying to pay back 2 million plus cost to buy. Would be 100k a year for 30 yrs if bought it at 2 million. Goinf to make same money farming it paying off to own it or rent it.

You would be doing well to draw 30k in payments on such a farm. 70Ha, ANC ( if applicable) about about 3.1k. farm payment is heading towards a medium payment of 250/ HA assuming the entitlements are included in the lease( they may want them on top of the rent) it's would be about 20k longterm. Glass 5-6k, very hard to hit the max and at least a years payment will go inside n costs

Odds and ends of schemes another 1-2k. 30k max in payments. You are working for someone else. Even renting at 250/acre and trying to have a few bob for yourself is a fools game. Even at that the improvements you can carry out on rented land work against you next time you try to renew

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah you need to go into organics like I am in that will be worth 19k a year acreage on top of what you worked out. i am in sucklers so BEEP and BDGP as well for me.

Most of farming is a fools game at moment with exception of dairying. KG who had you the loan with assume KBC or Ulster as BOI and AIB who I am with not come close to that. 7.5 stamp duty too with buying land would be 150k on that place if sold.

The killer with farming are the costs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Aib.you need to get loan to value to 7o % and as much accounts as you can give them,espescially to show evidence of steady cashflow .the stamp duty is just part of the cost of the investment.

You did well; my security was about 3 times loan so roughly 60 to 66 per cent. But my chargeable assets, not secured, (loan on 1 folio only) ie rest of farm loan prob 5% of total value.

Only ever look for last 3 years accounts with me.

Sorry for bringing this back up but you were saying to borrow 150000 for 15 years your repayments would be roughly €15500 a year, out of this €15500 a year how much of it would be interest a year? If borrowing this amount and let’s say you payed €20000 a year annually plus your interest what should your repayments be annually for the last 10 years? A lot to work out I know!

When you borrow over a medium or long period it mostly interest in the earlier years and some capital repayment and the opposite towards the end.

If your repayments were 15.5k/ year over the 15 years you would pay about 82500 in interest.

If you paid 20k in capital repayments in the first year @ an interest rate of 6% you be paying 9k in interest the first year approx. Your interest would drop by 1200/year approx until you had the loan paid in 7.5 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Just something I might be looking into, there’s a piece of ground that may be comming up for sale near me, I’m renting a similar size of ground that’s costing me €10000 annually, I am considering trying to buy this piece and dropping the rented ground, I have a very good deposit and probably would only be looking for between 150 to 170000,if the acres scheme reopened and between the new single farm payment,anc and the young farmers scheme I would be drawing around €20000 for the next five years annually before any profits on my livestock. I work full time off farm with no other deaths

What advice would you give or what would you do if your situation was similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

My advice would be don’t count your chickens before they hatch!

1) It might never be put on the open market

2) Some fella might decide that’s the parcel he/she wants and blow you out of it

3) The bank might be awkward supplying funds or you end up with a massive interest rate possibly 7% plus

Best of luck, I genuinely hope it goes your way and smoothly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Do your sums carefully

The 20k in payments will only be 10k after tax if the off farm job is at or above the standard rate cutoff.

The 10k rent can be written off against tax whereas only the interest can be written off against the loan.

You say before profit on your livestock, some years it's hard to avoid a loss on livestock.

Consider life outside the farm, any chance you may need that deposit and repayment capacity in coming years for something else such as a mortgage on a house either buying or building.

If you are happy with all the above and the land comes up at the right price that you can comfortably afford then go for it.

Interest rates are climbing fast. I have a tracker. The rate on it now is nearly 4.5%.it will probably raise another 1-1.5% this year. Assume banks charge another 1% margin minimum on this.

That give an agri lending rate by late summer of 7%. Maybe 5 year fixed will not be that high but three year should be. On 170k that is repayments of about 14.5k/year. Interest will be about 11.5k so effectively you are paying less than 10k net. Over 15 years it's about 17.25/year or 12.5 after tax

You are lucky in one way in that you have the stock and everything else in place to set the place up. Remember you can pay off money early but banks dislike refinancing. However remember as @J.O. Farmer indicates thate is many a slip between cup and lip.

The interest rate hikes along with reduced milk price will soften land prices. The 15k+ on 100/ acre+ farms will mean a lad borrowing a million will be paying 80k+/ year over 20 years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Another thing I see happening is land is being let and sold on a per acre . basis while entitlements and other aids. Are being given out on a per ha basis.When you translate it to an acre basis of looks very small. Also you never hear people factoring in the tax. Sorry for all the full stops it's the only way I can get this iPad to spell correctly

Thanks lads for all the advice, for starters I’m not counting any chickens yet!,it’s just something that might present its self for sale hence why I am still holding the rented land but I always like to have a good think and discussion about these thing,read some great advice here over the years

With the new payments I should be getting around 15000 a year without acres if it doesn’t reopen so going by what you’re saying i pay tax on 5000 of this after my rent is subtracted? Where if I purchase this piece of ground I will be paying tax on the 15000 minus the interest

If I got a loan of 150000 and paid off 15000 this year and next and then when I sold my cattle usually around 50, if they made around 85000 and I took this off the loan how would this work? I could build back up my stock from calfs, off farm income and a stocking loan, I never mind putting my own personal money into something when I see a return and I think livestock is a good option

all ideas or comments good or bad really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You have 85 k from cattle towards the loan ,but have you the income tax paid on this ,you might have to give 40 k in tax or very little ,your accountant will set you straight.What I would say very few things work out as planned .If you are getting a loan for this land ,if you were not able to pay back for any reason .A site to sell could get you out of trouble and then you could not go wrong

I asked my accountant this before that for any reason I gave up farming and sold my cattle and didn’t repurchase how would the tax go and he said you would just pay tax on the profits made on the livestock, he keeps my tax fairly good as I’m working full time off farm

But banks if given out loans want to see your paying high enough tax to show your making money, was thinking about a loan before and I was more or less told I wasn’t paying enough tax,they couldn’t understand by my accounts what I was doing with the money and then I have someone else ringing from the same bank about money building up in my account the past few years, wanting me to call in about special saving schemes or incvestments, it’s hard to win 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

That's all the banks want to do now is sell you crap products so that they can get the easy commission. Don't get me started on the banks. But anyway as far as I'm concerned you can't go too far wrong with land. It's so versatile you can never really get stuck. You can always let it out or god forbid plant it if you ever needed money. I'd consider anything under 10k per acre to be good value at the moment especially considering the way the value of money is going.

• Advertisement

I see you recently purchased land and your a dairy farmer? I thought it should be easy enough deal with the banks when you are milking, I noticed the few times I had to deal with them, everything is grand until you start dealing headquarters,

Advertisement