Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

That's hard to believe. I see drivers breaking red lights every day. There is a busy junction at the top of my road and I see drivers streaming through red almost every time go through it.

The Luas released stats recently that said drivers break red lights more than twice as often as cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Then you quite obviously don't cross the road with the green man. I can testify that anyone who does wait for the green man with any regularity will encounter incidences just like this with sometimes 2 or 3 cars still traversing the junction after the green man is lit. I have literally had to physically restrain my kids from walking out in front of oncoming traffic due to this very behaviour. The innocence of children thinking it is safe to walk once the green man lights up Utterly outrageous the carry on from motorists these days and a blind eyed is turned to all of it because as a nation we are so conditioned to the behaviour. Meanwhile,the big scary middle aged entitled cyclist who actually causes negligible damage in comparison gets all the vitriol from the usual privileged quarters. At least we have confirmed one more aspect of your conformity to traffic laws. You are likely a jaw walker to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You're fanning the flames of what you're complaining about.

I think if you want to encourage cycling people need to be shown other people's routes and how much quicker they are. also how to pick better routes not just the shortest ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's an amusing lack of self awareness going on indeed.

• Advertisement

I obey all traffic lights, thats walking,cycling and driving.

I have taught my children to do the same.

The innocence of children too thinking that cyclists are going to obey red lights at pedestrian crossing and at road crossings. One of your fellow cyclists boasted that he breaks red lights all the time,such a bad example to children cycling and you never said a word.

Maybe wherever you live people break lights all the time, they dont where I live, well the cyclists do it all the time but thats normalised behaviour for this country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i used to do from near DCU to leopardstown; 19.5km each way. one morning, in the summer of 2018 or 2019, i passed an audi (or it passed me, can't remember exactly) on east wall road, not from from the aldi and lidl. we were still swapping places over 11km later as we crossed over the N11 at the top of newtownpark avenue.

it should be pointed out that this was in the summer; schools were off; and i used to leave the house typically before 6:45am, so it was still reasonably early, so this was as quick a commute as a driver could probably hope for, and for that 11km+ it was still no faster than a fit cyclist.

FWIW the reason i was able to track the audi was it had a custom brown matt paintjob which was probably the most unfortunate paint job you could think of for a car.

Didn't see it. Was that one of your usual out of link dumps? Sorry, never bother reading those.

What's a "drivist"?

But whats the point of this post.

Only a very very tiny minority of people want to cycle 20 kms to work so its immaterial how many cars its possible to pass out.

I wouldnt cycle 20 kms a day and I dont care how long my car journey takes.

This sort of nonsense does more to put people off cycling than the weather, its so unhelpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you definitely don't see this kind of thing happening around you?

Do you see many drivers with phones in their hands?

• Advertisement

I dont see many drivers with phones in their hands, most people dont want points on their licence as it affects their premiums. They also dont want to pay fines.

Can you not just get up on your bike and concentrate on your obligations to other road users.

Forget about noting other peoples transgressions,really it makes very little difference to your life.

All these aggressiveness from male cyclists is so off putting to less confident cyclists,it really is a deterrent to increasing cycling numbers, its all so toxic and negative.

you are a strange, strange person. you really do dislike cyclists.

I am a road user, and as such I have as much right to comment in any discussion on how road space is used, as anyone else.

I won't say how road space is "shared" any more, because cyclists clearly are not interested in sharing road space with anyone, only in carving out as much of it as they can for their exclusive use.

Ah, the passive aggressive remarks. I don't know which is more juvenile, the jibes, or the passive aggression. 🙄

I cycle myself, as I said I dont dislike cyclists as a group.

I loathe the superiority of male cyclists and their judgy attitudes towards other road users.

Example, look at me, I cycle 20 kms a day and I pass out a car,look how right I am and how stupid they are, if they would only cycle 20 kms like me they might save a few minutes a day.

I dont think I am strange at all, thats your opinion.

I think its very strange to stick a camera on your head to record other road users and then put driving errors someone makes up on line inviting all and sundry to pile on with comments,that to me is the behaviour of very very strange people, my opinion only though.

QED.

Yes, allocating more road space to the the one of most efficient and one of least polluting forms of transport at the exceedingly minor expense of the motor car. Oh, the humanity!!! Basing our transport on the motor car to the degree we have has destroyed the fabric of our urban centres and filled them with pollution at the same time. But fear not, nobody is coming to take your car by force. An fair allocation of road space is to everyone's benefit including motorists. Have you ever driven in bike friendly cities like Copenhagen or Amsterdam. They are an absolute pleasure in comparison to gridlocked Dublin. Hmmm, I wonder why.

Do you find it strange that lots of people stick a camera on their dashboard to record other road users and then put driving errors someone makes up on line inviting all and sundry to pile on with comments? Is that to you the behaviour of very, very strange people?

Strange how the majority of drivers admit to using their phones at the wheel, but you don't see this happening around you? Maye you need to up your game on observation?

Are you really sure that you don't see driving like this going on around you?

'Forget about noting other people's transgressions' from the lad who makes up stories about dead children to support his fantasies about other people's transgressions. Yeah, sure thing.

A drivist is one who drives, obviously.

The incident got a bit of press last week, but I guess some people have built up a degree of immunity to reports of road deaths caused by motorists, given that it happens every week.

But if a cyclist farts in the wrong direction, the outrage from the chattering classes can be heard on the other side of the world.

A story about cycling seems very much on point in a thread about encouraging cycling.

If you are referring to the other poster its 40k a day. 20 there and then 20 back.

Though they might be multi modal or take a different route home.

I'm just pointing out your doing exactly what you're complaining about.

Exclusive cycling structure is growing because sharing doesn't work. It encourages more cycling. So seems appropriate for the thread.

• Advertisement

The studies and research shows that more cyclists encourages more people to cycling.

What is efficient is subjective. Everyone's needs are different. Cycling 20km to and from work may be an efficient form of transport for a single person who has no one else to think about but themselves.

Not very efficient when you've got a couple of kids to get to or from school and/or creche before travelling on to work and then doing the same on the return journey. That person may decide that for their needs, the "most efficient" mode of transport is a car.

I literally couldn't care less who cycles 20km to work and back or how fast they do it. But for those who do, here's your medal. 🎖️

No, the objective fact based on actual data is that, on average, cycling will carry more people more quickly around the city during busy periods than further filling the already gridlocked roads with mostly single occupancy cars. Because the roads are already at a standstill. I have all of the same commitments around work and childcare that you list and yet the kids are lucky to see the inside of my car once in every two weeks. I don't need any medal, thanks, I have already saved an absolute fortune in fuel and general wear and tear not to mention the massive boost to health and fitness I have derived from cycling around the city. PLus I'm still driving the same old car since 2003😀. I'm well able to strategically choose when to cycle and when I might need to drive. But yet again, it needs to be explained to you that nobody is coming for your car and nobody is forcing you to cycle anywhere. I fully appreciate, not everyones personnel circumstances are conducive to getting around by bike, but plenty of people would be more inclined to do so if the facilities were of a high enough standard. Again, this is an objective fact based on data because it is an experiment that has been repeatedly performed in bike friendly cities throughout Europe. And the results are uniformly repeatable. The motor car is still a vital constituent of the transport system of course and will quite obviously remain so for a long time to come. I don't know why you seem to think that we all need to choose one mode of transport to the entire exclusion of the other. But right now, we don't have a well functioning traffic network. We have utter gridlock via car dependency. A more balanced modal share will only come about with a comprehensive and integrated cycling network with significant segregation. Alongside significant public transport investment.

All you've done there is added a whole load of inefficient tasks together.

None of it has anything to do with encouraging cycling.

A whole load of "inefficient tasks together" that you'll find forms a big part of their normal weekday routine for a lot of families.

You can "encourage cycling" all you want, but when it simply isn't practical for someone they are not going to choose cycling, no matter how many bicycle lanes you build.

Just in case you have missed it the last three times I directly addressed it to you. Nobody is forcing anyone to cycle against their will. If it is not practical for a particular individual that is totally fine. But that is no reason to withhold progress that would benefit the rest of the country. Enjoy your car and please drive carefully 😉

So as many cycle lanes, and no car zone as we want. Gotcha.

In Seville, 80 kilometres of cycle lanes were built across the city. As a result, bicycle trips increased 11 fold in just a few years.

New bicycle lanes created during the COVID-19 pandemic have increased cycle traffic in European cities by between 11% and 48%.

Yes, I think it was your question I was responding to, about it being time efficient.

Worth mentioning also (which I almost certainly mentioned earlier in the thread) that my employer has excellent facilities for cyclists. I would not have been able to do that cycle of that length or that pace without those facilities. And that is missing for a lot of people who would like to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Whovever makes (or likely imports) and maintains these plastic bollards is probably in or heading towards the rich list. Probably asking AGS to enforce road traffic law is pie in the sky (they certainly don't, like seeing people looking down on to tablets or phones going on to roundabouts is common, instead they serve themselves first and then the political class), but at least they can try to improve the standards of design for cycle routes, particularly interfacing with roundabouts and whatnot.

Advertisement