Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why don’t you prove otherwise you seem to be trying to make some sort of point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I really don’t know what point you are trying to make, but legally, NAMA selling a loan book to a foreign investor most certainly did not transfer ownership to that investor, it transferred the loans only, not title to the properties.

How many properties were repossessed? Did all the loans on that book result in repossessions? Of course not, therefore title did not pass to the investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

I've given you the UN analysis if you bothered to read my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You claim a small % of the property/ land / developments that secures loans ended up in the hands of the buyers of those loans - why can't you back up your claim instead of obfuscating?

• Advertisement

Isn’t the fact that it hasn’t happened proof? perhaps I should have asked you to prove that ownership transferred to the investor, but what’s the point? It didn’t so you would be trying to prove a negative.

Repossessing a home is quite a difficult and lengthy process for a mortgage note holder and usually follows a lengthy consultation period where some kind of payment arrangement is sought. Until the very end, title remains with the home owner, not the lender.

As Cyrus said, it’s just a case of you not understanding what you shared, you aren’t the first.

Here's one summary of where the assets of some of the biggest developers ended up through either sales or refinancing:

Given the concentration of property development amongst a small number of developers it's certainly not a small % of assets that changed into foreign owners hands.

Couple from many examples:

Or

https://eu.kennedywilson.com/press-releases/eu450m-acquisition-gardner-house-through-non-performing-loans

Kennedy Wilson Europe Real Estate Plc, an LSE listed property company (LSE: KWE) that invests in direct real estate and real estate loans in Europe, announces that it has completed the acquisition of Gardner House, Wilton Place, Dublin 2, previously held as two loans secured by a first ranking mortgage. 

Post edited by kaymin on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Anyone interested in discussing the current market?

2008 collapse era stuff is grand and all but I'm more interested in now. It's far more interesting.

Insane inflation, post a pandemic with crazy price increases, fast moving interest rate increases and overall uncertainty

Are you not entertained!

More first time buyers bought homes this year then at any period over the last 15 years, and more Irish people are coming back to Ireland than are leaving even though the cost of buying is high. Are these people who moved abroad to make money before returning home when they could afford to like so many of us did? Or are they people who are returning home so that they can live with their parents/compete for the few rental properties available, if the latter, then they should not be whinging about not being able to buy a house.

https://m.independent.ie/news/you-know-youre-not-going-to-find-that-rents-are-lower-in-new-york-tanaiste-leo-varadkar-42158794.html

From reading Villa05’s post that you quoted, I don’t want anyone to have to move abroad, but neither do I want to read about the constant demands for others to help them. If they do emigrate, it will take some of the pressure off the demand for houses and hopefully mean that prices will drop as demand decreases. Previously people emigrated for jobs, with full employment that obviously is not necessary so today, we have full employment and many well paid jobs, if you can’t afford to buy, then you do what others did before you and look elsewhere. Teachers, nurses, builders etc have been doing it for decades, why do people think it should be different today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Not sure why you keep referring to foreigners. I think you made some good points but would it be any different if Bono bought the loan book than us companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@kaymin

MN wanted prices to rise so as to get the bank's out of the hole they were in. There was no other reason. Be Damned the ordinary citizen trying to afford a roof over their head or pay reasonable rent.

My take on it was political pressure to get people out of negative equity. Whenever I hear the argument about construction being unprofitable I always wonder what the actual cost breakdown is...

It's comes back to the original point and also the same point the UN made - the sell off of Irish property to foreigners and the pull back from social housing developments both of which have been to the detriment of Irish citizens. Construction costs and construction employment was on the floor at the time so it was an ideal time to replenish the social housing stock with NAMA land banks but the government actually did the opposite, cut back on social housing building and sold off the land banks at rock bottom prices. And no, it wouldn't be any better if they sold to Bono.

'Elsewhere in the letter, the UN criticised the "disproportionately higher and more severe" cuts made to the country's public housing capital construction budget. It dropped from €1.46bn in 2008 to €167m in 2014. construction budget.'

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/nama-sold-90pc-of-loans-to-us-private-equity-un-claims-37965403.html

I wouldn't dismiss that reason entirely but then FG were not under much political pressure during those times. FF had no standing. Getting the banks up and operating normally seemed to be the priority. Here's one viewpoint on the reasoning:

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/michael-noonan-house-prices-damien-kiberd-1410085-Apr2014/

Post edited by kaymin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It was sane back in 2014 but by 2017 the unintended consequences were kicking on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

You speak as if mass emigration is normal, it's usually a sign of dysfunction. Ireland has thrived in most markets that have opened up to competition as a result of the evolution of the EU. It's those sectors that are protected from competition or fully controlled by the state that are a drag on our economy.

Ireland is still one of the most underdeveloped nations in the EU. Housing if properly managed should be the least of our concerns and by right should be a source of further competitive advantage given our abundance of under developed land.

Notable article on Bloomberg regarding twitter noting our housing situation made it easier for twitter workers to throw in the towel and quit. How much damage do we let the housing sector do to the economy before we act

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

It shows how utterly out of touch he is and how incredible it is they can make shirts big enough to hold in his inflated head. Comparing "Ireland" to New York and Sydney when it comes to property; this is exactly the problem, that there is a bubble mentality with these absolute notions. I don't even need to go on about how run down so many towns and villages are outside of Dublin, but in Dublin itself it absolutely is not a Sydney or a New York. It is more akin to a Manchester (same population, major Northern English city, salaries similar to Dublin salaries) where rents are 92% lower; or Stuttgart (which has a higher population, is a major German city, salaries are even higher than in Dublin) where rents are 50% of those of Dublin; or Rotterdam (again, same population, same salaries and it is a major Dutch city) where rents are 90% lower.

Varadker is a spoofing buffoon and it flies in the face of facts to claim that the grass is not greener when it comes to renting.

Just look at the data on his own nonsense claims; Population of New York city is 8 million people (compared to Dublin city's population of around 600,000 - greater Dublin has 1.8m whereas greater New York has 22m!). You can expect on average to get just under 6000 pm after tax on average in NYC versus around 3000 pm after tax in Dublin (i.e. double the salary); in NYC rents are approximately double as well. So Dublin city is the same as NYC for renting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

You mentioned stuttgart, for a so called second class city in Germany it is so impressive, underground's and trams everywhere, 20 mins train journey direct to the city from the airport. Dublin hasn't a patch on it, it actually sickens me when Varadkar tries to put Dublin in the same brackets as New York or Sydney. Varadkar needs to go, Coveney very suspect given his links to ABP corrupt heavies. It's a sad state we are in, as Tonesjones said so eloquently, Ireland is the friend on paper with a great job and doing very well but come the end of the months has nothing left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Dublin is a desirable place to live regardless of any comparison to New York or Manchester and there is demand to live there and with a location which is highly sought after to live in there is usual a premium to be paid. Its like that throughout the globe. Dublin has a lot more going for it than Manchester in fairness. Job opportunities alone and the recent sh1t going on in the UK would well elevate Dublin a lot higher than the majority of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep and international quality of life metrics do put Dublin in a fairly respectable position, ahead of New York for example, and ahead of every single American and British city for that matter. Manchester unsurprisingly isn't anywhere near the top 200 and it's laughable to try and compare it to Dublin. There are a fair few central European cities and a couple in Australia ahead of us but I mean "not quite the absolute highest quality of life in the entire world" isn't exactly a disastrous ranking, when you think how far Ireland has come from 50 years ago or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I think you have the rose tinted glasses on. 20 years ago Dublin was quite a nice place when I lived there, these days I try to get in and out as quickly as possible and returned to my home city years ago. Manchester is a much nicer city imo.

What exactly is nice about Dublin? It used to have decent pubs/nightlife and was a “fun” city and recognised as such but that’s mostly gone, very limited culture, extremely expensive, poor transport links, unappealing city centre. Childcare etc is difficult.

It’ s ok if you can afford to live someplace nice on the Southside but that’s mostly a function of overpaying to avoid dysfunction.

Its main attraction is that it is the European HQ for a lot of American tech firms. Whether that will last under new EU tax rule into the future is an open question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I agree with you 100%. Dublin used to be a really nice city until not too long ago. Its a horror show now. Ive been in the city center almost every day for the last 30 years, even lived there for about 5 years. Its a horrible place now. If I didnt work in the city center I dont think I would ever visit it again. Its also an embarrassment when friends and colleagues visit from abroad and give their honest opinion on what they think of the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

Haven't looked at this thread in a while but I find it mind blowing that there are still people here effectively saying "property market in Ireland is fine, if you cant buy a house you know where the door is". Naive of me to think that even a landlord with multiple properties could recognise housing here is off the rails. Or do they recognise it but wont say it for some reason? Some real peaches in this thread though. A really shameful and bizarre attitude.

Naive, is thinking that the problem is going to be solved easily or soon, and that constantly complaining about it is going to improve your lot.

No one thinks it is “fine”, it is far from fine, I’m not sure why you think a LL would have more, or less insight into the housing crisis than anyone else.

Traditionally if people could not find a job in an area they wanted, they looked elsewhere, but if you say that now about housing, you are “naive”, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The attitude is akin to housing sector taking out the butchers knife to the golden goose.

They may well get their wish and housing will correct the old fashioned way

Rumblings of trouble in the medtech sector also as in Medtronic's latest results are affected by cancellations of elective surgery, health cutbacks etc

I'm sure the tech sector will be watching twitter closely to see how it gets on with half the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Traditionally, jobs that an area needed paid enough that workers could live relatively close to where they work. That is no longer the case.

Dublin is facing an unprecedented shortage of teachers due to a cost of living thats far too high in the capital. At what point do we recognise that house price inflation is crippling the economy at large?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

More evidence that the only way this housing market does not experience a significant correction is to believe that an extreme shortage of housing is a sustainable state of affairs. Looking at the average asking rents as of now, there is no way the economy can sustain this without isolated, extreme wage inflation - to think rents can stay this high is to believe an inflation fairy will fly in, increase wages and not touch the reset of the economy.

Back of a fag packet calculation for context; to pay the average rent in Dublin nowadays, a salary of 32000 would be entirely consumed each month from rent alone. To ensure that you only pay 30% of your after tax salary on rent, you need to be earning 150000 per annum in Ireland. No wonder MNCs are cutting jobs and freezing hiring in Ireland - they have to pay huge salaries just to allow their employees afford a roof over their heads, let alone have a bit of cash to save or enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭wassie

Hows this for tradition.

Stop looking at the past. Ireland has never been here before and an acute lack of affordable housing options, either renting or buying, is creating a dysfunctional society.

If people are forced to look elsewhere, then who is going to do the jobs required to keep society functioning like teachers, nurses, gards, childcare, cleaners, retail.

Why does this generation feel they are more special than past generations?

Yes, jobs that were needed paid enough to buy a house, it was never a case that they paid enough so that people could live wherever they wanted. So please, don’t try and rewrite history, people didn’t have it easier 20, 40, 60 years ago.

The fact is that we have many high paying jobs, and those people can outbid lower paid workers. That is unfortunate for the lower paid, but wishing others weren’t paid so well isn’t going to help you.

Everyone knows the problem with house shortages, everyone knows we have full employment, everyone knows that some people, especially in the fintech sector are earning way in excess of teachers/Gardai/shop workers, but constantly complaining about the unfairness of life isn’t going to get you a home any sooner. It already looks like developers are closing down housing projects until costs fall, so you now have to be realistic, take a pragmatic approach (as others have before you) and move to where you can afford to buy, if that is abroad, then you are walking a road hundreds of thousands did before you, and the country survived. You are not special, you don’t deserve any more than the people who went before you. So take stock, and look to where you can afford to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Who is rewriting history? You seem to be completely ignoring the current state of affairs and hand-waving it away as normal "shur we had hard times in the past"

We never had such a drastic crisis in teacher recruitment, gardai recruitment in the greater dublin area. Things have never been this bad. The cost of living (incl housing) has just gotten so high that plenty of essential jobs just arent viable in the greater dublin area anymore. Grand if youre making 80-100k in Google or Meta, not so grand if you're on a graduate teaching salary or on lower end of garda payscale. You can barely rent on those salaries anymore - which is why people are voting with their feet and moving out of Dublin. The rest of the country isnt struggling nearly as much for recruitment of these roles than Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow are.

Ultimately this means that housing situation makes Dublin even more dysfunctional, while the rest of the country with more reasonable housing costs can continue to function. The GDAs loss I suppose. Will funny to see people like yourself in 5 years time blaming the teacher and gardai staffing crises on people choosing not to live in Dublin and surrounds. 🤣 ("Why are teachers doing as I suggested 5 years ago and moving somewhere they can afford? How selfish!")

Advertisement