Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK and Switzerland have a mini-Horizon. But neither side are putting in any extra money.

The Swiss can't join Horizon because they haven't done a new deal with the EU to regularise the mish mash of what were assumed to be temporary deals as the Swiss were expected to join the EU shortly after.

The Swiss deal won't be offered to the UK because it's not even being offered to the Swiss.

The UK is still negotiating with itself over something that was rejected out of hand before Brexit. "What's the model? Have your cake and eat it."

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Holland,France,Belgium and Greece have all issued exceptions to sanctions against Russia,as detailed in the link I`ve attached.The point I`m trying to make is when it suits principles go out of the window.Whilst I agree the UK does`nt have the clout it thought it had,I`ve no doubt the EU would consider any request by the UK for a closer relationship favourably.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/18/world/europe/eu-sanctions-russia-ukraine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

effectively the swiss and the uk want the same, they want to take out the free movement pillar and the court of justice . neither will get that but they have the same idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Except they don't. Brexit was about moving away from the EU for those in the driving seat. For Switzerland, the 100+ treaties are a fudge given their.. chaotic method of governance.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

could you explain why you think the swiss have a chaotic governace. i would suggest it works very well.

i would say in both cases it was joe blocks that votes on weather to be in the eu or not .

the sentiment of swiss people is very similar to the british people. the main difference is that Switzerland works while the uk doesn't .

For the EU, Switzerland is a tricky customer. In 1992, the country voted “No” to joining the European Economic Area (EEA); in 2021, it unilaterally broke off negotiations on a framework agreement with the EU. When it comes to economic cooperation, Switzerland always says “Yes, great”, but when the question turns to greater political integration, or even membership, it says, “No, thanks.” This has earned it a reputation for cherry-picking in Brussels.

Many Swiss see things differently. They like to consider themselves a freedom-loving, independent people who are willing to stand up to foreign masters (and commission presidents) William Tell-style. “Switzerland is too rich and too stable to want to join the EU,” says Fabio Wasserfallen, a professor of European politics at the University of Bern.

the difference is the swiss do referendums all the time and understand the implications of it. henceforth they voted against the end of free movement as they undertand the cost of it. but if they could iam pretty sure they would end free movement

there is real experts here, who know much better but i would guess the friction between eu and switzerland and eu and uk is pretty much the same right now. most here only look at the uk issue.

which is why the eu hits both with the horizon stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Why ‘almost’? I cannot see anything in that post that is not fantasy.

“This is the same EU that handed the UK a deal at the last minute,”

Johnson signed both deals (WA, TCA) at the 11th hour. Fabulous deals at the time. Worst possible deals a day later and ever since. According to the UK, that is, because you’ll be hard pressed to find the EU saying anything about those deals since they were signed and ratified. Besides regularly reminding the UK to implement them, of course.

”a deal that allows London continue as if it never left”

There’s a £ trillion’s worth of assets, and their managing entities and employees, who say different. Besides traders, insurance and reinsurance types, M&A legal eagles, etc, etc, etc.

Dublin, Paris and Luxembourg have been sending thanks, with flowers and champagne, for the last 3 years.

”a deal that allowed the UK break with respect to the NIP”

That was the UK’s choice indeed, and although not the most optimal amongst the alternatives, it’s kept goods reasonably free flowing between the RoI and NI. The NI business community thanks the EU for helping them to keep the lights on, and for the decent socio-economic performance relative to the rest of the UK since. I won’t hazard a guess about what that community says to Westminster and the DUP. It might not be as shrill as the Grimsby lot, mind.

In the meantime, that ‘different regime’ outside of NI, implements the most perfect of smugglers’ charter for all exporters to the UK. A situation which arch-Brexiteer Rees-Mogg himself said would not change, as it risks inflicting too much (further) economic damage (“self-harm”, to quote him) on the rUK.

”and allows the UK to demand visas for EU citizens crossing the Irish border sowing uncertainty for tourists and those travelling to Donegal”

And reciprocally allows each EU member state to demand visas for UK citizens visiting <insert resort, whether the said UK citizens own property or not irrespective>. Seen the queues in Lanzagrotty and elsewhere this summer? Not sure where the EU’s “loss” is, and how the UK gets in the scoreboard there.

salonfire demonstrated as much understanding of the EU in that post at end 2022, as your lambda Leave voter circa.2016.

The UK had a few cards, that gave it leverage whilst a member. Having been told to avoid playing the game in the first place, it then proceeded to burn them all at the altar of Tory infighting. The game ended 2 years ago, the others players took off with their winnings, but the UK’s still sat at the table, out of cards, playing against itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Switzerland "works" because they creatively ignore the people's votes when they need to.

Switzerland voted to end freedom of movement and the government managed to enact that will with the somewhat questionable new law allowing them to advertise jobs in specific key areas in Switzerland a week before the rest of the EU. It was a fob to those who voted for it and not remotely what they wanted - it is more or less the exact opposite of the Brexit ref when any opinion to leave was recast as a desire for hard brexit.

Switzerland, and more importantly its government, is ultimately practical about their relationship with the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why do you think the Swiss are like the British? They've negotiated a series of treaties that suit them with the EU. The UK on the other hand have gleefully voted for parties that have gutted their country for corporate greed and then acted surprised when living standards plummeted.

"Too stable to join the EU" is a bit daft, no? There must be some context you missed there.

Finally, there is no stick. Horizon is an EU programme. If you want in, you pay in. The stick narrative is really another silly victimhood narrative. Nobody expects Netflix to be free so why should this be?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A closer relationship with the UK definitely suits the EU and they would definitely be open to it. There's no "backsliding" on the part of the EU; this has always been the case. If the Times story suggests any "backsliding", its on the part of the UK.

But that closer relationship is very unlikely to be the Swiss model; the EU thinks the Swiss model works poorly even with Switzerland, a country that knows what it wants. It would be disaster with the UK.

But my point is that these questions aren't even mentioned in the Times story. How the EU might react isn't seen as sufficiently relevant to merit a mention. Which tells us that the Times story is one faction of Tories talking for the benefit of another. They don't care how the EU might react; the story is run to see how the Tories react. This is still a purely domestic negotiation — indeed, still a purely intra-party negotiation. The idea will die on its arse because, if the Brexit movement were capable of agreeing about Brexit, it would have done so long ago.

Yup. I suspect the idea actually being floated is a phytosanitary agreement, similar to the one Switzerland has. This would considerably alleviate the impact of the NIP which, it is finally dawning on the Tories, is something they need to do. But they didn't want to say that in as many words because, once they float the idea of a phytosanitary agreement, it is kind of hard not to go ahead, and they're not sure they want to go ahead. Plus, newspapers don't like running stories with "phytosanitary" in the lede; readers stop reading. So, vague language about aspects of the EU-CH relationship, which in journalese very quickly turns into a Switzerland-style deal.

No Tory faction wants a Swiss-style deal. It would involve a climbdown on FOM that they are just not ready for. Even though who see it as either desirable or inevitable would probably rather that the task of actually climbing down would fall to the coming Labour government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,659 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Didn't see this earlier, but Sunak is pretty much using the language of all hard Brexiteers with talk of "Brexit opportunities" and no suggestion of any dilution of it. Looks like he is terrified of the ERG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"Under my leadership the United Kingdom will not pursue any relationship with Europe..."

What a bizarre statement to make.

I thought the goal was Singapore-on-Thames - not Pyongyang!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I’d say, a SOP to the shrinking contingent of ERGists to keep the fragile truce. Poor choice of domestic audience for it, all the same, and that will have reset a lot of EU minds, which may have been otherwise mollified by Sunak getting into no.10..

Keep in mind that Singapore-on-Thames would not contribute much of anything to a ‘relationship’ with Europe, within the constructive meaning of the word. It is the goal which the EU27 are wary of, priced into the TCA and getting priced into any proposed tweaks to it, since that relationship would soon turn antagonistic through Singapore-inspired unfair competitive practices (-as viewed within the prism of EU practices). About 7 years on from the debates, cakeism is still integral with UK demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thanks for that. It is not good but the article describes things that countries got exempted rather than "backsliding", or ignoring sanctions. I believe similar has been happening with UK & its sanctions.

It is not principles. I honestly think the EU will not have capacity right now for another "Brexit" type process with UK while you have what is close to state of war with Russia, a potential trade war with China brewing, and Turkey making military threats on the regular against EU members (I am not totally convinced those are hollow). It is not 2016 any more. The EU is dealing so many external (and internal) challenges and threats now it is hard to keep track of it all.

I suppose it is partly about the UKs "clout", in that I don't think the UK is going to be able to shout above all that and demand action on what they want unless they are going to start some more trouble and aggression with the EU themselves (which would be exact opposite of a request for a "closer relationship"!).

If the UK knows what it desires as regards this closer relationship (no sign of that as yet, still a lot of arguing going on among different factions) and comes to the EU with something very worked out that isn't the same "have cake and eat it" proposals that seek to completely shaft the EU/member states for its own benefit am sure you are right, it is just I cannot see a big time consuming negotiation like 2016 to end of transition happening again.

If the UK knows what it desires...

This has always been the problem. The Tory party has so many warring factions that it's impossible. Worse, the public were never given an opportunity to vote for or against Brexit once it had been defined. Instead, the whole country has been treated as nothing more than a backdrop for their incessant, tawdry, infantile drama.

Meanwhile, those most fond of flag-waving and poppy-wearing have clapped like seals while their country has been humiliated, denuded and begins to slip further and further behind the rest of the G7 almost by the day.

Source:

have you lived in switzerland

did the swiss ever vote for to join the eu

do the swiss have a real agremment with the eu or did they leave eu treaty talks in 2021

i don think it 120 contratcts i think its 119 conrtacts as one on medicine has already run out ,

and as far as i believe the eu kicked switzerland out of horrizon in 2020 AFTER they left the negotiations and they also dont let the uk in . its not just about paying. i belive they both would pay but are not allowed to pay.

https://sciencebusiness.net/news/switzerland-ditches-eu-treaty-talks-leaving-question-mark-over-research-ties

when do they creatavly ignore the peoples votes , can you give me an example

So why should Switzlerand expect to be in Horizon without paying for it? That sounds like Cakeism to me.

when do i say they should be in ...

i say the swiss are very similar to the uk as they want all the good stuff and not the obligations.

You were complaining about them getting kicked out after exiting negotiations.

The good stuff comes with obligations. It's that simple.

i did not complain

i just said Switzerland and the uk have the same horizon agreement ie they are outside.

so the uk partly already has a bit of a swiss deal ....

iam not sure when the next conrtatcs between the eu and switzerland will run out , but i am pretty sure they will run out at some stage as they are more temporarily , but iam sure there is experts here that know better. all i know one of the 120 contracts has already run out.

https://www.swiss-medtech.ch/en/news/swiss-medtech-downgraded-third-country-status-today

• Advertisement

It's currently less than 1% of the Swiss deal. Probably less than Ireland's share of the EU's population. Not a good comparison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The EU keeps to their agreements, but do allow some member states to backslide. Neither Sweden nor Denmark have joined the Euro despite being obliged to do so, but the EU have more important issues at the moment - and probably for the medium term. However, the EU have real problems with Poland and Hungary which they are actively trying to solve with mixed results, but are determined to solve them.

Switzerland is not really a problem - mostly. They just take up more EU time than the EU would like, and have no intention of allowing any other state to have an agreement like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

i just said Switzerland and the uk have the same horizon agreement ie they are outside.

so the uk partly already has a bit of a swiss deal ....

How is that a Swiss-style deal? Switzerland don't have an agreement on Horizon. They previously did have some access as an "associated" country, but they don't anymore, same as the UK. Calling that a Swiss-style deal is the same as calling it a Thailand-style deal, or a Ghana-style deal

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,659 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's obvious from this that Sunak is hamstrung by the ERG for the next two years. I guess that they've told him they will collapse the government if he does anything to 'undo' Brexit.

as far as iam concerned , and i could be wrong , there is also no real swiss eu deal at present , negotiations on this stopped 2021 after 7 years ....

while this is not a hard brexit, where all would have stopped form one day to the next , its in a way a slow swiss EEA exit now ,as the eu will not renew any outrunning bilateral agreement. so in my mind, to talk about a swiss style deal after may 2021 is silly .

i forgot switzerland is not even an EEA member so more the end of barrier free entry to the single market.

Post edited by peter kern on

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

... nor Denmark have joined the Euro despite being obliged to do so.

Denmark got four official opt-outs in the Edinburgh Agreement among them for the Euro.

the "Defence" opt-out has since been reversed by a referendum. The "Citizenship" opt-out has been changes in later EU treaties and is no longer relevant.

"Justice and home affairs" and the Euro is however covered by opt-outs.

Lars 😀

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Agreement_(1992)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You are incorrect. Negotiations on a potential future agreement were terminated in 2021. They were also terminated in 2018, before being re-opened. And they have been re-opened again this year.

More to the point, the termination of these negotiations are in no way a signal that the current status of Switzerland-EU relations will be rolled back. And that relationship is nothing like the UK one, and there is zero prospect of the EU faciliting such an arrangement. Any claims of a "Swiss-style" deal are absolute nonsense statements floated by arch-Brexiters to try to paper over the cracks (or gaping chasms) of the disaster they brought upon their state.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 24,097 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The EU should be in absolutely no hurry to finalise long term comprehensive arrangements with Britain, whether that be Swiss style, Norwegian style or bespoke.

Let 'em stew another year or two. By then they'll be begging to have back even half of what they once had as a Member State.

Cretins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is literally one in the post you quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

So all this rubbish about Switzerland is the latest desperate attempt at deflection, distraction, whataboutery and oh look over there from the Brexiteers. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next. Portugal haven’t been blamed for a while now, surely it’s time to blame them for Brexit being a disaster again.

Advertisement