Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Scaldies.. lovely.

And you're complaining about racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

But do you think it is OK for hundreds of refugees to be just dumped into these areas?

Do you realise that the flow of people will never stop, never, do you not see how all this will add to the housing crisis, the health care crisis and every other crisis we are having,

We have effectively no control of our boarders and there are billons of people looking for an easier life out there,this will not be of benefit to us,

Controls need to be put in place,and soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

No

Are all people at the protest racist? No.

Are there racists at the protest trying to bend it to their ends? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

If they have to go somewhere, I don't think this is the worst place to put them. It's basically the city centre and it's not like they're being dumped in the middle of some small town where they'd be a huge presence. I may be in a minority, but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

You didnt state it was an opinion, you stated it as (implied) fact. It is not factual, and you have no evidence.

You reckon that they would be more wary of black people than white people - there is no evidence to back this up other than your own reckoning. An opinion with nothing to back it, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No

Hundreds of unvetted men coming into an area without consultation or question. Dead right to get out and question what’s going on.

it’s the management of the situation that’s got people rilled up. We have stacks of evidence from other countries that have implemented this policy and we want to make the same mistakes they all have?

Yes

well I went to school in that area and have spent a lot of time in the north inner city. I have heard vitriol against foreign people from that community more than anywhere else. Banging on about them getting free this and that. They feel left out or that they're not getting as much stuff for free as them.

Travellers and people from rough areas from Dublin are where I've heard the worst racism in Ireland. I'll die on that hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes

Sad to see this sort of racism in Ireland. These racists will go on and on about how we should prioritise our own and then go back to spouting the usual hatred of travellers, women, LGBT people, the homeless, etc... Transparent and pathetically so.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭donaghs

No

There probaby were hateful racists at the protests.

But does that make it ok to quickly convert an office block into accommodation for young male economic migrants from Somali Nigeria and Afghanistan? Without any local consultation.

You cannot flee directly from those countries, or from their neighbouring countries to Ireland.

Is this journalist from the Examiner a racist? Taoiseach: Local communities must be consulted before refugees arrive (irishexaminer.com)

Mainstream politicians need to represent constituents genuine concerns, or else its left to extremists or potential Trump-figures.

Yes

I'm moving from the UK to North Strand early next year, just around the corner from here. Do I need to get vetted by the way? People keep saying this. Will I be lynched if I don't show proof of vetination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Yes

I voted yes although I don't think it necessarily has to be racist.

What I am seeing on the clips looks pretty racist though and I think it's disgusting and disgraceful. I.e people shouting abuse at immigrants and shouting "go back to your own country". How can that not be racist?

Shameful scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No

You're Irish by birth with a passport. This is an absolutely absurd comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yes

Actually I wasn't born in Ireland, and they don't know anything about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is it. There's a conversation to be had about immigration generally, but there's no point in having it with racist scaldies shouting abuse at foreigners or far-right melts. Those type of people are just baying for blood and want to enact their psychological problems on people, not find solutions or come to some sort of accomodation on what type of immigration policy we should have.

The first job the East Wall community has is to eject the far-right extremists from the situation.

There's one absolute melt extremist from Sandymount that was there last night on a megaphone claiming to be from an "inner city community called Sandymount". Have you ever heard such sh*t?

So yeah, there's a job of work to be done, becuase a fair whack of attendees last night and at the weekend have nothing to do with East Wall and just want to stir sh*t and generate racial emnity (and they've been successful thus far).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Yes

Absolutely, there are some valid concerns and questions about the refugee process in this country. It's completely flawed and open to abuse. There are correct ways to communicate those concerns and ask those questions but the disgusting behaviour of those people in the videos and clips available online are not the right way and it's completely racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No

There is a lot of snobbery from the activist types.

This year alone we have taken more than would be housed in 3 years if they took all the new builds, nevermind the shortage from years past, never mind the acceleration in numbers.

A country with an incredible shortage of accomodation is now implementing the most extreme free market approach to migration imaginable.

Even Eoin o'Broin knows that the shortfall will not be made up, nor that even half is achievable.

Yes

Good lord. I can't believe people are being harassed like this in Ireland in this day and age. The helium voice on the other guy too. This is all such a sad state of affairs.

Scaldy is not a racist term and you know it. Try that on with someone else, you'll get no joy from me.

And yes, the people in that video are scaldies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The FBI has identified cruelty to animals as a sign of psychopathy, a red flag indicating a high risk for committing acts of violence that pose a danger to the entire community.

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Yes

Voted yes.

The clips are pretty embarrassing and the type of folk yelling that **** take away from the obvious general concerns over immigration at the moment, concerns which I share. Poor showing from elements of that crowd. It’s the same bunch of gimps that hijak every situation which arises like this in the country.

The conversation on immigration policy will need to happen eventually but the isn’t the way imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭lmao10

Yes

Of course. We know what most of the posters on boards current affairs are like though so I wouldn't bother arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

No

It was hardly racist it’s placist. A lot of people being misplaced here, sure you know them to see it’s glaring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No

I think we all collectively agree Philip Dwyer is an absolute agitating arsehole of a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

You sound lovely. Anti racist groups won't want your support.

Yes

have you heard the gobsh*tes he's talking about? did you look at the video posted above of 2 scumbags harassing a bloke about his runners? And the best you can do is pick up on the word "scaldies"? F**king hell...

No

The actual cause of the protest is a legitimate one. It's important to consult communities who are going to be affected by this kind of thing. That in itself is not racist, but common sense.

Were there a handful of actual racists and so on at the event? For sure.

But that's the nature of legitimate protests. You always find that elements of the most extreme opinion make their way to the protest. In the same way that anti-Semitic racists are always attracted to protests against Israel. They are a minority, but they tag themselves along to the legitimate protest.

The same is true of this event. We cannot smear the legitimate protesters by the vocal minority of extremists. Selectively putting together videos and so on to smear those legitimate protesters is beyond the pale.

That lack of nuance shows that they have as much bias as the people who they complain about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes

You said the protest isn't racist, but then you make a racist post and top it off with sexism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No

Were you not proclaiming yourself to be a proud resident of Coolock a few weeks ago? 😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement