Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A grant is not needed in a market where demand exceeds supply. Agree on the cost mechanism for electricity, it makes no sense when often - especially on windy days - that renewables are actually the majority yet the price is set by gas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Grant - demand is from the more affluent, we need it to sink more into the wealth field e.g. MG4 grand assistance etc. even the hugely generous Taxi grant is a good thing, the more EVs on the road the more folk will sit in one and encourage the move

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I wonder if they could look into dropping price of charging during off peak periods, like nights and weekends. Petrol stations can adjust pricing multiple times per day. This could be very helpful to people without access to own chargers. I think they could have dynamic tariff implemented using app, as I'm not sure if current price can be easily displayed on charging points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭wassie

I ask the same question every time this question comes up, how much personal experience do you have of operating an EV as a daily driver without access to home or work charging?

My own personal experience - quite a lot. I am away for work around the country every week doing 40K km annually and 100% reliant on the public charging network daily.

My experience has been since the end of lockdowns and society reopening, Dublin can be very difficult during the day to get a charge without incurring distance or encountering traffic.

But I make it work just like you do - we manage it. But most people in this country do own an ICE and have never had to really 'manage' filling up the tank. I have co-workers who all have got diesels in the last 12 months because they can travel twice as far as me and never think twice about where they are filling up. Time is money for them.

Everyones circumstances are different. But if you cant access home charging then I suggest this is a much bigger impediment than the price of electricty (which like fuel, is variable).

Our charging infrastructure is woeful in this country, it's not going to improve due to demand from customers who use a DC charger every 6 months.

Correct. It will improve with demand from people who need it daily, combined with good policy like we have seen in the UK.

Correct. It will improve with demand from people who need it daily, combined with good policy like we have seen in the UK.

Exactly, they get £10m for EACH motorway services, we get the same for the country

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As much as motorway service investment is needed, I think they don't help people who can't charge at home. The UK investments in cities like Dundee and Milton Keynes goes much further in that regard. The last big gap is the solution for cities, it's probably the only place I think eCars can still compete in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fair enough, I took some time to look at the DISTRIBUTION USE OF SYSTEM CHARGES and conceded on the 'extortionate' comment maybe unfair (I never said gouging). To your comment about how they make money, given how pricing is, wouldn't they be making margin money on AC charging, but losing on fast? I expect that overall they are protecting a certain margin).

I stand over my comments that these changes (however unavoidable) set back EV adoption . I also think public charger rates will remain equivalent or higher than diesel and petrol permanently.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So who here is going to be on newstalk chatting about the price increases (chatting about it now)

The grant is to manufacturers and doesnt benefit anyone but them. The grant doesnt provide any additional sales, therefore it is a waste of money. The market isnt demand limited, it is supply limited.

If there has to be a grant, I would prefer some form of tax credit or sometjijng. But thankfully the government have already signalled that the grant is going away starting next July.

Agree. Tesla do this already.

Yes I've done the same, 60k km in a leaf. Recently in an Ioniq 28, and a 220km range model X too. You basically can't charge in Dublin, you have to charge outside dublin. Dublin and NI I would plan to charge en route. Other places, I just make sure to stop at multiple unit sites, IE avoid SPOF. I havent waited for a charge in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think dynamic pricing would be a very good idea... AC22 pedestals - 40% cheaper from 11pm-6am to encourage their overnight usage.

Tesla do peak (4pm - 8pm) and off-peak (8pm-4pm) rates now in Europe.. the other providers here should be looking to do similar... Taxi drivers would be all over off peak rates..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If smart meters have told us anything, dynamic pricing = higher peak prices, higher day prices, and barely cheaper night prices.

Dynamic pricing won't help consumers. Not in Ireland anyways

and we end up with 'hubs' in random towns around the country that have 2 CCS plugs, but only 1 CCS plug if a Leaf is using the cheaper 50kW unit...

Just on the grant, I think it's more than the manufacturers that gain, there was a very deliberate ~€12k price drop by Tesla because of the grant, all Y purchasers received that gain (as well as Tesla)

yeah, I shouldn't have used the term dynamic, rather peak/off peak would be good... mirroring domestic day/night rates with perhaps an hour shaved off at either end

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a geographically diverse minimum network that doesn't adequately compete with potential commercial operators, which therefore doesn't preclude them from entering the market for commercially viable charging services.

Not what I would have created if I was minister for transport, but very much the pattern for all investment by Irish governments to date.

Definately - we need a proper targeted plan that is well funded. I've posted this before, but I like the format that the NSW State Govt in Aus has developed their EV plan.

There will be at least 4 fast or ultra-fast chargers per station every 5 km in metropolitan areas and at 100 km intervals across all major NSW highways.

Very simple & clear, backed by AUD$149m (€96m) in funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I have the sinking feeling that competition from different providers won't necessarily bring lower prices in Ireland either. More likely another entrant to the market will come here because they can charge high prices (taking a look at Applegreen's pilot prices in Birdhill for example).

Yes. If done right it could be great but instead it's done pathetically. Typical Irish nonsense.

It wasnt a 12k drop though. It was a drop of 7k by the manufacturer, with the taxpayer funding the rest. Now, I dont think it was needed personally as there is so much demand pent up but obviously Tesla has more data and insight into their pricing than I have available to me!

Pricing will be based on the margin between commercial rates and the premium you can charge for EV usage. We've expensive prices across the board at the moment because the commercial rates are so high. Competition isn't the problem, it's the failed electricity market that is forcing low-cost providers (e.g., wind) to be paid huge rates due to concept of last kWh pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For AC yes, and for 50kW maybe

Not sure about HPCs at motorway services, drivers don't really pick and choose when to arrive there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Been a proponent of an AC Nightsaver Club to make the most of renewable electricity as night is generally when generation has lowest CO2 emissions rates. Infrastructure not in place. Existing AC units were set up to be semi fast and the labour involved to retrofit their locations to 4+ plugs would be astronomical. Incentivising apartments and other MUDs is better solution as that's where most people's cars will be at night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness it made sense for years. And encouraged the development of RES.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Compares the vanishing cost saving on EVs, even manages to diminish the saving at home.

From the article

Of course, according to the statistics, the majority of EV drivers do almost all of their charging at home, but Electric Ireland’s standard rate for home electricity supply now stands at 40.89c per kWh — meaning that it would cost you €28 to charge your ID.4 up from ten per cent battery to full, overnight.

I don't know anyone that is paying the full standard rate for home electricity, even on with a standard meter.

Yes it did indeed make sense for years. But times change, this isnt 2012 with 30k asking prices (post grant!) for 100km range cars. The market is supply limited and not demand limited. In a supply constrained market, purchase subsidies make no sense.

Plenty of folks are unfortunately paying that and more. One of the best rates for a day/night meter currently available is Energia's EV tariff with 44c day and 12c night.

A lot of bad tariffs are in the 50's, especially for smart meters but even on MCC01.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

To be fair the article is accurate. Its rare to see journalists getting their kW's and kWh's and facts and figures all correct. I don't think there is anything factually incorrect in there?

It does, however, suspiciously not give any worked examples of what it costs at home on night rate which makes it a biased article. One small reference to it was given...

"(It’s worth pointing out that night rate charging, if your supplier offers it, will reduce that cost by quite a bit.)"

He gave loads of worked examples but decided not to show a worked example for the majority of people who own an EV! 😏

e.g. For myself, I pay 7.9c/kWh at night so his example would cost me €1.34/100km versus his ~€7 example. Now that is a massive saving, but that doesn't make for a good click bait article! :)

Usual sloppy writeups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It may well be cheaper to charge at home vs diesel.

But what action needs to be taken to allow those who can't charge at home to transition to EVs cost effectively.

Also to compensate high mileage drivers for time and cost of charging EVs on the road.

"Charge at home" is all lovely but reinforces perception amongst ICE drivers that EVs aren't fully usable cars

Why not let the market do as it is right now. Most people who can't charge at home arent buying new cars anyway (some exceptions to this but generally). Theres a supply limitation so even if we remove all grants the market is still saturated. Dealers are selling nearly new cars 6-18mo for more than they cost new. That's not a market that needs any help to grow.

I certainly don't think any incentives are needed for pricing. Public charging should always be 1.2X the day price for home electricity anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Congrats on the improvement in your life and sorry for assuming you were a silver-spooner. My point is that those struggles you had are the same struggles being felt by a lot of our population right now, do you not care?

Not sure what you're referring to exactly?

Yes. Because this is a thread about esb ecars. I also ignored Tesla, Ionity and Easygo pricing in my calculations for the same reason

Advertisement