Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little changes we can make to normalise cycling and encourage its uptake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

These days you could do it on an eBike and the effort involved would be considerably reduced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

indeed - and i did take in one of the hills within dublin which it'd be near impossible to cycle up without raising a sweat, which an e-bike would be perfect for. interesting to note that as of late 2019/early 2020, i think there were only one or two e-bikes in the 50 or so you'd see in the bike cage (i've been working from home ever since covid)

Same here. Haven't done my route since. Be interesting to time my old route on an eBike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Motorist behaviour is the biggest single disincentive to cycling. We wouldn't actually need separated cycle lanes, bollards, wands etc if motorist behaviour was appropriate.

I guess now we have those lanes its time to encourage more people to cycle.

• Advertisement

If you want a proper discussion, then don't be facetious.

I have no knowledge of Seville, (other than it has lovely weather) so unaware of what that city was like before they built all those cycle lanes. So can't comment.

I do have knowledge of what living and driving in Dublin is like, and while you may have confidence in whomever is planning all these cycle routes, I have absolutely none.

As from what I have seen, and what I have driven on personally, they are making an absolute balls of it, and I wouldn't be surprised if in five years time, they decide to and rip it all out again - especially those stupid bollards.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is gradually happening apparently.

People are now realising that they can commute faster than driving, save a ton of money and improve their health and making the change over.

They also realise soon enough that the weather isn't near as bad as it is made out to be.

One very very big driving cultural difference we usually completely overlook is the lack of “priority to the left” here. Very few people here seem to be aware of that system, even though it’s normal across the continent.

In most continental towns, a general rule of yielding to traffic entering the street from the right (which would be the left in our system) applies. In some contexts you are supposed to allow traffic in from both sides (one way systems etc). Unless there’s a “you now have priority sign” (a yellow diamond symbol) which begins on main roads out of town, then you always yield to traffic trying to enter the street.

The difference this makes is that urban driving is far, far more live and let live.

Ireland and the UK take the approach of hierarchy of priorities. If you’re on the “main” road you ignore all other entering traffic and plough on, using the same mentality as driving on a fast, main road outside an urban context. The result of that is much more aggressive, inappropriately fast driving in cities and towns and permanently blocked junctions and a need for a lot more traffic lights and signage to force the main thoroughfares to allow other traffic in.

That has a huge impact on how traffic flows and the result of it also a much less bike friendly environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why are the bollards stupid? If they keep drivers and cyclists in their lane then surely they are doing their job. Ideally they wouldn't be needed but unfortunately here we are.

Good observation.

More of a driving issue. People would prefer to drive at you, rather than let you out, these days.

But that mindset certainly does permeate how people treat other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I wonder could Dublin handle this change? It takes a lot of getting used to - cars slowing nudging towards as you try to cross...

On the hand though, from my experience in Italy, motorists NEVER yield to pedestrians especially in smaller towns. There are zebra crossings everywhere but they are totally ignored. Pedestrians expect to wait for the cars to pass rather than stop.

You literally said "encourage more cycling all you want" I'm just agreeing with you.

You don't need any knowledge. You can look up the research and studies that have been done.

It's very likely they will revise the cycle paths and bollards. Make them more permanent is just as likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember that from being in the car when my dad was driving in italy on a family holiday years ago - priority on roundabouts was for those entering the roundabout rather than those already on the roundabout, IIRC.

if that is the case, where else uses that system?

anyway, he swore he'd never drive in italy again, the quality of driving was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

It hasn't changed - I spend a lot of time in Italy as my partner is Italian.

They speed and overtake like crazy. Like Ireland was in the 90s / early 00s before the guards got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Has anyone mentioned changing school admission rules, to prioritise local families?

Distance is the reason a lot of families use cars, driving past their first choice nearby schools, because they weren't past pupils.

The problem with that is cyclists would just plough on the same way they disregard red lights.

The admission lists already prioritise local families living in the parish.

Are you talking about private schools,its not the distance from the school which dictates whether you can get into the school or not, its the amount of money you have.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If you continue to put words in people's mouths or assign views to them that they have made clear they don't have, I'll go right ahead and presume you're trolling.

-- Moderator.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Back on topic everybody. Thank you.

My memory it was less aggressive in the 90s. I used to see a lot more speed checks and Garda checks as well. Traffic was probably worse. Driving was a nightmare at times.

I was still using a bike from the 90s as a commuter bike until recently. Bit like triggers broom.

But we have so many more options these days, more modes of transport. better bikes, ebikes.

• Advertisement

Do we have more options, who is the we,if you are living in rural Ireland there is no public transport, no taxis, in many places no footpaths to walk on.

Its impossible to rely on buses either, a lot of the time they dont show up, the Luas and the Darts are crammed and many people are afraid to use them because of anti social behaviour.

The anti social behaviour will be directed mostly at women of course and the women would be nervous being on bikes, ebikes or not late at night when the only other people on bikes are lone males.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you sure that’s really the problem?

If you actually want to encourage more women to cycle, you should start by dropping your obsession with telling other people what to wear.

Is that child in a cargo bike with no helmet,that infuriates me.

Other child has no relective clothing on either🤐

Dad has gloves on his hands too,that childs hands must be frozen, it looks wet too what a horrible way to travel,sitting there freezing.

Also is he cycling in the wrong direction, that isnt a two way cycle lane.

Like I said, If you actually want to encourage more people to cycle, you should start by dropping your obsession with telling other people what to wear.

Is he cycling that cargo load the wrong direction in a cycle lane.

And then presumably he is whining about other road users behaviour.

I didnt read the tweet, tired as i said of all these judgy pants male cyclists videoing everyone elses "sins" while ignoring rules that dont suit them.

He didnt appear to stop entering the cycle path either,just pedalled straight onto it not caring if someone else was already on it or on the footpath.

Thanks so much Andrew for highlighting selfish cyclist behaviour, please do more of this.

You didn’t notice the car reversing through the red light then?

Do you get the impact of this kind of driving on encouraging people to cycle?

I did notice the car, was he reversing as he had blocked the pedestrian crossing and he wanted to clear it.

I would check my mirrors and reverse too if I blocked a pedestrian crossing.

I saw what I wanted to see in the video, exactly the same as you.

The difference between me and you is I dont spend my days travelling around wth a camera on my head looking to post motorists mistakes so i can post it on the internet.

Depending on school. The've moved away from old residency rules (longest in area) because of the lack of diversity it can create, to nearest to school but shorter residency. But it means you can move from Cork to Dublin and rent beside the school and skip past people who have lived in area for years. Pros and cons.

However the flip side it means people can't places in their local schools as easily which can affect the distance and accessibility of schools via cycling. But it's all moot as we don't plan cycle routes and accessibility between schools and local estates/areas anyway. This is why people buy/rent houses near schools and rail links so as not to be car dependent. More common in the UK than Ireland. But that mindset is growing.

Lot of cycle lanes in new development which should encourage new cyclists.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@Robot22 - Also is he cycling in the wrong direction, that isnt a two way cycle lane.

As it is not on a road, I don't believe that it is directional in the same way that a footpath is not directional. Maybe you can show us otherwise?

But yeah, look at their clothes and ignore the big feckin elephant in the room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Footpaths only an issue because of motorist behaviour as well. However, in my rural location a number of retired people are using ebikes to get into the village rather than drive.

Advertisement