Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The target of the protest should be the politicians who allow the migrants to get past the airport.

You will never solve anything, and never be happy, unless you make an attempt to understand the system as it is. You blame politicians for people getting "past the airport" when there is nothing they can do about that. Nothing. Anyone can present themselves at immigration and claim they are seeking International Protection and they have to be processed. The person sitting at the desk will not have the authority or the resources to summarily process them on the spot. Even if they could, there would have to be a right of appeal.

Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could both land private jets at Dublin Airport tomorrow and say they wanted to claim asylum. They would have to be processed. Until you understand they system, all you are doing is creating distraction from things that might actually be done by shouting about things which cannot be changed and blaming people who cannot change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There was dyed in the wool racists and fascists there last night.

This is not abstract. We had scrotes shouting abuse at foreigners and loud and proud members of the far right present also with form for abusing foreigners.

What's meaningless is the soft-peddling here acting in utter denial of what went on last night.

A lot of posters crossing the line into outright far right soft soapers. You'd have slightly (but not a lot) more respect if you were actually honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Do the processing in a building on the airport campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If they have no travel documents, can they be deported within 24 hrs?

Second question: if I tear up travel documents, and arrive at Immigration in JFK airport NYC, or Toyko, Japan, what happens to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

You started with an inane post about how nobody in your local tesco was "vetted" - except that they are, seeing as they are all most likely either citizens or visa holders for this country. This means they all have records, have been vetted for visas etc.

So the follow up to that is whether you consider the above to still be "un-vetted"? If so, where do you draw the line? Are you okay with totally un-vetted people of unknown criminal history, unknown identity/age/skills being allowed to live in this country? (East Wall in this scenario)

All these questions pertain to this protest, and one of the things the people of east wall are protesting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Yes

It sounds terrible but a direct provision centre popping up near my family home would likely affect how safe I felt in the area. Having said that, I wouldn't be a NIMBY and I certainly wouldn't subject the asylum seekers to further trauma by protesting outside of their accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Yes

yes, ireland did loads of immergration before and we got an awful time over in england now were doing the same to these young lads coming here

No. It is prima facie illegal for people to travel on fake documents. But there is an exception whereby it is legitimate to travel on fake documents for the purpose of getting somewhere to claim asylum.

Of course, people will take advantage of that. But the reason why that allowance is there is legitimate. So in order for that allowance to remain, you have to accept that you will get bogus applications. The same goes for people presenting with no documentation.

If you arrive at JFK with no documents, you would be treated more or less the same as any person coming into Dublin with no documents. You would be returned. UNLESS you try to claim International Protection. Same as in Dublin. (As an aside, the US is a little different as they tend to effectively have veto power in the Conventions they are signed up to.) The airline that brought you may get fined.

Well there you go. Start that as a possible solution and dig more into why it might or might not be workable. The person would ultimately have recourse to the Courts which would delay the overall process so you will need a very large facility.

Going to East Wall and shouting "go back to your own country" will do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yes

of course it was along with all such similar protests.

little racists whinging over some brown faces in their area, thinking they have any right to be "consulted" on anything, they don't quite rightly.

the building is an ESB building as i understand, no longer in use and would just be left to rot otherwise, so may as well use it for a benefit.

i think there was a similar protest down in wicklow as well, wonder was that surrounding the same hotel as last time, a hotel which will not reopen as a viable business again and which would also be left to rot otherwise.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Do yous not know the difference between a racist and a xenophobe?

It's not racism, it's xenophobia.

And it's totally justified.

A minority of non EEA visa holders (in occupations that mandate it) require vetting for immigration purposes. You don't have a clue what you're on about.

Everyone from the Polish or Irish worker on the till in a supermarket could have a criminal conviction and you'd be none the wiser. A programmer from a non EU/EEA state could also and you're none the wiser.

You. don't. have. a. clue. what. you're on. about.

You're peddling this "vetting" angle because far right scaldies want to without foundation generate fear and hatred.

If we put some of the "local" crowd flinging abuse through Garda vetting you can be sure it would throw up some interesting things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Or neither. Anyone who cares about a functional civilization opposes stuff like this on the grounds on function, and not "I don't like brown people" or "I don't like non Europeans" as the clowns are claiming. The mass amount of Ukrainians we've taken in has proven that, as they aren't brown and they are European, yet of course that gets overlooked in the name of boiling thing down to "racism".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes

I heard that very same argument 15 years ago. We're meant to be overrun and outnumbered now. We aren't and I very much doubt we'll be, whether it's another 10/20/30/40/50/60 years from now. Again, more racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Yes

I live in East Wall. I work in East Wall.

I think the poll is yet another example of trying to massively simplify something and make it black and white, us versus them.

There were definitely elements of racist scumbags in the crowd (I did not attend but saw videos). Seeing small children being encouraged to scream “Get them out!” was disturbing.

This does not mean I think that anyone who has concerns or questions is racist. But I haven’t seen any evidence that these people are “illegal economic migrants”. I don’t know anything about them, one way or another.

But if they are or aren’t, why would anyone stand and harass people getting off a bus to stay in what is likely to be pretty grim accommodation? It’s incredibly intimidating and aggressive. It’s what loses respect for them- it definitely loses mine.

Don’t take your anger at government policy, or whatever it is you’re angry at, out on people who had no hand in making it.

Well put. East Wall has now become a battleground staked out by extremely shady elements from far and wide around the country. The voice of the actual community will be quickly lost if these assh*les aren't sent packing.

Even those that were local shouting abuse after being whipped into a frenzy by far right elements are a minority in the community. Strong leadership needed.

Have the conversation, but hate peddlers (particularly those that came from without) that are stuck-into the issue should be removed with a scalpel and told to go home or cause trouble elsewhere.

The alternative is that the whole show will be taken over by the worst elements, which they are determined to do, and as we've seen, a lot of people are content to provide excuses for them so they can stir sh*t and observe from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No

where are you living?

because what I’m seeing with my own eye’s is that Irish people are slowing becoming the minority in this country.

What nonsense. Are you posting from an African barber shop or something?At last census Ireland was 84 percent ethnic Irish.

Dont you ever wonder why people get utterly sick of concocted far-right crap and cease to take you seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No

where are you based?

Fuck whatever census or report or article you’re reading and open your own two eye’s.

You’ll see a very different picture of what Irelands like in reality compared to what’s wrote down on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

No

I think Leinster House, perhaps the FF, FG and Green HQs too. Their arrogant incompetence is certainly worthy of protest. This protest looks like it is targeting foreign nationals. Different issues like the severely inflated rental market, housing shortages, homelessness and other often interconnected issues are just symptoms of a disease which could be called incompetent governance. Protesting at Leinster will now a hate crime (the matter is still vague and ever shifting so no deboonking needed) under upcoming legislation, unless the protest by one of the approved government quangos or charities.

Lol, yeah f*ck the census and reality, we've got unfactual nonsense to peddle!

Nobody respects lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

No

The Government played right into Far-Right hands by bussing people in under cover of darkness with no prior consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭timothydec77

The main issue is that the asylum pathway seems to be the only viable pathway from many countries.

We need planned migration . Bringing workers particularly ones with skills we need. The ability of people to integrate should be a factor too.

Un skilled workers would be picked via a lottery.

We need to set a target in which non Eu migration would be.

Immigration rules would have to be strictly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes

Of course it was racist.

The fact that a few Gemmaroids spoke at a microphone is neither here nor there either.

What makes it wholly racist is the narrative from all the public reps like Councillors Ring and O'Shanahan that the local community "weren't consulted" about a group of foreign men being moved into a facility in their area, to simply keep a roof over their head, is simply dog whistle prejudice, based on race, religion and Country of origin.

There's no question the Government are managing immigration very badly, but that wasn't the thrust of the protest last night, it was very simply 'get/keep them out of here'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That's 10 years ago, I wonder what the results of this year's census will show.

No

To immigrate legally to this country you need proof of your identity, a paper trail which links back to your country of origin which will have records of you. An identity and all the history that comes with it.

People who arrive in dublin on a plane with no documents are neither vetted nor can we even establish an identity for these people. They could be anyone, have done anything, and we have no idea who or what or why. Unlike citizens of this country who have an identity and a history, and records here. Unlike legal immigrants here, who have records in their own countries and here through GNIB, revenue and other bodies.

These people being dumped in east wall have no established identities, records or anything. In many cases their age isnt even established. They are not vetted, and it is in no way comparable to those who legally immigrated here, or are citizens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CarProblem

It was a mostly not racist protest

No

There already are pathways from all those countries, non-EEA citizens can apply through critical skills employment permit. Many people do, and come here through that permit pathway.

There is no excuse for trying to game the asylum system to immigrate here. Asylum should be reserved for people actually in need and actually in danger, not poor people just looking for a better life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes

It doesn't matter where I'm living. It was meant to happen 5 years ago based on the arguments people were pushing 15 years ago. It's always just slightly further in time, like all the doomsday prophets. It hasn't happened. It isn't going to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement