Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The grant needs to go!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

They even have car/van/BEV manufacturing in the UK. Everything with wheels here is imported.

We'll follow along whatever the UK do so grants go there.......we'll not be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

They have salary sacrifice which is worth few bob, and benefits the taxpayer.

A salary sacrifice scheme allows employees to drive a fully electric company car, by forgoing a portion of their gross salary. The amount will be deducted before tax and National Insurance contributions are applied, akin to childcare, gym membership or cycle-to-work schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Not sure we are exemplary in that respect ourselves

Question is why manufacturers continue to screw over Irish motorists. We can blame extortionate VRT for ICE cars being so expensive here but it was possible to make significant savings importing used cars from UK pre Brexit even after Revenue screwed you over with VRT

I once bought a year old Smax in UK for £15k (approx €27k here) and had to pay €7k VRT on the bloody thing. There is a clear definition of screwing one over.

The reality is that EVs have little of no VRT applied so is it simply the usual screw the Irish consumer attitude by manufacturers and dealers? I find it extraordinary that KIA consider it reasonable to charge €48k for their most affordable EV, the eNiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Grants offer very poor value for money. I don't like them and agree with uido.

If we have to have them let's make them inversely proportional to cost so the cheapest cars are prioritized.

If a car costs 15k or less it gets a 10k grant. 15 to 25 a 7.5k grant. And 5k for 25 to 30. Nothing above 30k because rich people don't need any help spending more than 30 thousand euros. Puts the emphasis on simple mass production and quickly gets the population into ev's.

As uido states the current grant just helps them set an upper cost at minimum gain.

The whole supply issue is something I expect the car industry to perpetuate for the next 5 years at least. It's in their advantage to keep demand artificially high for outdated ice products. Stops the value dropping like a normal market while they slowly sell super expensive ev's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If a car costs 15k or less it gets a 10k grant. 15 to 25 a 7.5k grant. And 5k for 25 to 30. Nothing above 30k because rich people don't need any help spending more than 30 thousand euros. Puts the emphasis on simple mass production and quickly gets the population into ev's.

I don't think we're a big enough market to change the wholesale direction of auto manufacturers, the best our grant can achieve is to ensure its more profitable for a particular EV to be sold in Ireland instead of Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,931 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In a world where most EVs are late 30's to buy new, this makes no sense.

Instead of focusing on "rich people", why not think of a better way to have the grant so that it doesnt just pay the OEMs. How about a tax credit to the purchaser instead? So that way the purchase price of the EV isnt distorted (you pay the sticker price, none of this pre/post grant nonsense), and you get the money back yourself instead ofsending taxpayer money to Germany, Korea etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I would have thought most new EVs are north of €40k.

The reality is the purchaser only cares about the net price and the manufacturers will build any type of subsidy or tax into the sticker price. Giving a tax break to the purchaser won't change that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why is a reduction in car sales a serious problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You’re gas.

According to figures from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA)

You seem to have forgotten about the costs of motoring. Here’s a reminder:

Money previously spent on cars doesn’t evaporate into thin air. It is spent on other goods and services, probably those with less imported components, and higher value to the local economy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Let's avoid getting into a general political debate on motoring, there's plenty of areas of boards to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Hope i'm not asking a question that has already been answered but when you scrapped your old 132 Prius you got extra 20k because you're an existing eSpsv driver is that right? Do you know if you get that same level as a new SPSV driver thats scrapping a high mileage car. Isnt there an incentive to take a 200k+ car off the road? Is that only for existing taxis or can new entrants into spsv's get that?

Many thanks

Only to existing PSV drivers with an existing PSV to scrap. And it's oversubscribed for this year.

On topic - yes the grant needs to go!

Grant should stay, but only apply to cars with an OMSP below €30,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The fundamental issue is this....

We need to reduce use of and emissions from fossil fuels....

In an energy crisis then you ought to as much as possible aim for the most efficient cars - which as far as I can make out are EVs.

I'd have thought that the war in Ukraine and its resulting issues should accelerate the transition from ICE to EVs.

Because the EV fleet would need less energy to drive it down the road.

A lot of work is needed to address climate issues.

Just transition measures will be needed to help make the transition as fair as possible to everyone...

With careful study on how best to deploy incentives for change.

Its not just EVs - its reducing emissions from agriculture, retrofit of homes, more public transport deployment and usage etc.

Someone mentioned that people have more to think about now then how to cut carbon.

But its Govt that need to take leadership and make it possible for the population to take cut carbon actions. By ensuring that all required financial supports are in place.

Is there any EV with an OMSP below 30k?

I think the Mini EV and the MG4 have a pre grant pre VRT relief price of 32-33k. The ora is mid 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Some info here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f0f5-launch-of-electric-spsv-grant-scheme-2021/

and here: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/re-opening-of-espsv22-electric-spsv-grant-scheme-2022-now-open/

Seems new SPSV drivers are eligible too but not to the same level... €10k.

There is a 30 Nov deadline for the current round of funding though!

@Gumbo is the man to ask, he has got a few relatives onto it I think?

I agree with a lot of that. But there are other ways to use taxpayer funds to reduce emissions, better ways than handing 5k to an OEM.

Increasing grants for PV and heat pumps and retrofits , would result in lowered electricity demand and less need for fossil fuel. This is the first change I'd make, take all incentives off EV and put their budget onto renewable energy. Let every household in the country qualify for 2kWp free up front funded solar meaning it's not even required that people pay up and claim back. Require all new builds and all planning approvals to have minimum of 2kWp of solar installed. Any new carparks have to have all spaces within reach of a chargepoint for an EV with a max of 4 spots per 1 charger.

Stuff like that will reduce our emissions a lot more than a blank transfer of funds from the taxpayer to car makers.

My main worry on EV side is not having a situation where its financially better to buy a diesel if paying in the region of 60 k for a car.

I use 60 k as an example as that's a price that even with no grant - gets you into an EV....

The idea that you can save money by using fossil fuel cars is worrying in my opinion.

It locks in fossil fuel use for cars for longer.

Perhaps in the coming years we will need financial disincentives to discourage the unnecessary use of fossil fuel cars with no plug - ie encourage the big mileage users into PHEVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow,

Just reading back an old thread,what a charming post.

I guess I'd be considered poor or lower middle class and I have a nice car with 1000km range,so do most of my friends and family.

In my house my Mrs toyed with the idea of getting an EV but we have nowhere to charge.Also it was a bit out of our range financially but if she wanted it she could have got a loan.Thankfully she listened to me because look at the state of the world 6 months later.

Like the vast,vast majority of people in this country I'll switch to an EV if/when it makes financial and practical sense.Thats probably been kicked down the road a few years or maybe a decade with real world realities and more pressing and important things to worry about.

So, your new car is on order then? Or are you one of those people who don't buy new cars anyway, in which case there is a multiyear lag between viability and cars being made available to your market.

In terms of usability in a practical sense that was achieved years ago. Supply of new EVs into the Irish market is supply rather than demand constrained. Financially we're at a point in the market where if you're selling everything you can build you don't sell low margin versions.

The number might need some tuning, but I do think we need to get to a point where a manufacturer makes the margin on 45kWh low frills ID.3 instead of a 77kWh loaded ID.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭HBC08

No,

There was nothing good value at the time about 6 months ago so we had a full respray and restored her 2003 2 litre diesel which she loves.

I don't want to ever buy a brand new car as they're not good value and i love cars and always have something a little different or sporty.

She also loves cars and is more open to buying new but we're precluded from buying an EV for reasons already stated. She'll keep the restored old tank (which is looking class now it has to be said) for as long as it lasts.I had my eye on a nice 3 year old 2litre MX5 before prices went silly so I'll be holding off too until things calm down.

Brand new at the time of purchase fossil fuel cars with no plug in - I hasten to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Isn't the current €5k EV grant being removed from the middle of next year? I have not read into it, but I believe it was announced in the budget this year.

Its expected to be cut.

No specific statement yet on when or if it will be removed

Lots of people are quick to dismiss EVs as not good value, really your just in a position of not comparing like for like. The models that came to market in 2017 are where the real value and practicality came in. It's going to be 2025 before they start hitting prices suitable for those who don't factor total cost of ownership into their ownership decisions.

If you are the type of person who normally buys 6-8 year old cars, I'm not sure why you would look at brand new EVs and claim lack of value, you'd have the same conclusion if you were buying a brand new diesel. New car's aren't for everyone, but without them the 2nd hand market wouldn't exist.

"Good value" is a very subjective term which is influenced heavily by individual preferences and circumstances....

I thought my EV was good value when purchased....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It makes no economical sense to buy an EV just to try save money. If your current car is ok and does what it needs to there’s no need to buy a new car.

If someone is buying a new car regardless, then the time to “consider” an EV is at that time.

Nothing wrong with what your doing.

Advertisement