Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was/is the protesting at East Wall Racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're still floundering. Vetting in Ireland, be you Irish, EU or non EEA is related to your occupation and if it's required.

You have zero idea of the criminal background of anyone walking down the street. Be they Irish, be they Spanish, or be they from Brazil.

Non EU arrivals applying for international protection will have their fingerprints taken and will be put through the EU system giving their identity in whichever EU or Schengen country they were first processed. Whether they possess documentation at Airport immigration or not. Which is more than some of the far right melts are exposed to.

You. Don't. Have. A. Clue. What. You're. Talking. About.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Possible the tax payer can put them in the houses the tax payer pays for wherever that is? I don't pay for my neighbors house. I do pay for some scumbag with 200 convictions in sheriff street or cherry orchard seeing as that's on the news (got legal aid by the way, more tax payers money for a man who has never worked but could knock back pints before kicking a Garda while on the ground)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Yes

Absolutely racist.

There are legitimate concerns/complaints there, but they are completely undone by the awful rhetoric and abuse in the videos doing the rounds (such as the one in the OP, but I've seen many others). I'm always keen to give people the benefit of the doubt, but a lot of the people protesting have shown that they don't deserve that by being actual racists. I've seen plenty of people trying to reason with them on the likes of Twitter by making the argument that these people aren't their enemies etc, but that's incorrect - the migrants ARE their enemies because they are massive xenophobic racists. Like, shouting 'OUT OUT OUT' at refugees? That's absolutely disgusting no matter what issues you have with placement locations, these people are fleeing horrendous stuff and they're not pointing at your area on a map and choosing to move into your front room.

PS. I live in Rathfarnham and would have no issue with refugees being housed in my area, or next door, or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Can't be bussed in to private estates. I'm sorry but if you down own the property, your ability to comment is eroded greatly .

Honestly, who gives a rattlers if something does or doesn't play into the far right's hands?

If it's not abusing foreigners it's masks and anti-vax bullsh*t or Kremlin sh*te.

They're cranks with disordered brains prone to conspiracy theory and peddling hate, and there's always something they'll latch on to to stir crap and sow discord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No

Vetting != Garda vetting

Vetting means having an identity, having records of who you are. These people "losing" their passports on a flight to Dublin have no record of their identity or anything. We have no idea who they are. They are not vetted.

As for an EU wide database of records for these people, you are well out of touch if you think thats what happens to them here when they land in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭French Toast

No

A competent, centralist Nationalist party would clean up in future elections.

Get up the yard with your word games. Vetting refers to a criminal background check and you well know it. A minority of people in this country are vetted, and it's related to the area of your employment.

You're scalded and backpedaling because you don't have a bean what you're on about and making it up on the fly because you've got an issue with Johnny Foreigner.

And their fingerprints are 100 percent ran through an EU database. It would be a very small minority that wouldn't throw up a result making them identitfiable.

Growing up time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I can sympathise with the argument that the allocation of areas for housing of arrivals to our shores might be done with more of a spread — and I don't think it's all that unfair to say that many of those who sneer at what they see as tracksuit-wearing n'er-do-wells with working class accents berating foreigners would be quick to shed their compassion if migrant / refugee housing was being plopped down in Killiney.

I don't think we should utterly and completely dismiss the concerns of Dublin communities whose areas are not just often the first port of call for initiatives to house new arrivals to the country, but who are also watching their home areas being gentrified and put financially out of reach for any of their children who work but simply don't have the type of money to compete with many of those vying for homes in the city these days. Many of the people who sneer at them are originally from far less affected rural areas or small towns down the country.

But when you have people posting videos of them just straight up berating foreigners you cannot help but acknowledge that — even if all these things were done completely equitably and certain areas shared the 'burden' fairly — there would still be a lot of the same clowns frothing at the mouth anyway at the mere sight of foreigners arriving into Ireland.

Still feel though that if we want to keep the xenophobes and racists at bay, we should be careful not to completely alienate people who might otherwise get sucked in by them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Then why do 40% "lose" their passports and ID's on the plane? After all 60% don't.

They destroy their documentation so they won't be returned on the next flight, not because they don't want to be made identifiable. They will not be allowed board (by law) the plane without documentation.

They are identifiable via flight manifest and the document check done when they boarded the flight and further by fingerprint check on EU database.

Sorry not sorry that this doesn't square with the "vetting" angle the *definately not racist* crew are peddling. But that's the practical reason they do it.

In terms of crims, if we "vetted" all of the scaldies throwing abuse there last night, who wants to take the bet there was no crims among the bunch? I bet we'd throw up some interesting histories by the way they were carrying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

No

Did it occur to you that people living here undocumented probably didn’t put themselves down on the census? Or that the census is full of misinformation or lies? Is that beyond the realm’s of possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I see two problems here.

The legitimate concerns of local residents are not taken into consideration. The strain on healthcare, education, law enforcement, infrastructure is not ever looked at, the impact on local business. How many bedrooms are not available in killarney now that will impact the bars / restaurants of the town??

The change in use of a building thats contrary to the planning permission that was granted for it must be a part of the problem. Planning was granted for buildings to be used in a certain way and people had a legitimate right to object at the time. Now those buildings are being used for a completely different purpose and people cant object.

The change in use should be subject to planning permission and people can have constructive objections with due process to them.

"The Census is full of misinformation and lies" 😂

Lads, we should frame this post and put it up in the National Gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Of course they point on a map and say I want to go there. Then they get smuggled here for a price. If there was no housing and benefits they wouldn't come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Then they get smuggled here for a price

Strange way to describe Ryanair.

No

Whatever man. Your clearly from some place that isn’t being affected by these policies. Or else have skin in the game and getting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

It's actually crazy. On Twitter, you already know when you click on these people's profiles that they all sing from the same hymn sheet.

Climate change is a scam. Anti vax. Anti trans. Anti anything Green. Anti cycling.

I actually quit Twitter today because I just can't look at these posts any more. Irish Twitter is a cesspit. I've reported so many fake Irish profiles using either AI pictures of women or random women's pictures they've stolen as they think pretending to be a female will give them some gravitas.

The sheer amount of them is scary, all these people devoting their days to trolling every single post about certain issues.

No

Only judging from what I’m seeing with my own eye’s.

Letting in every Tom, Dick & Harry from different cultures, laws & religion is going to have disastrous consequences

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes

Ah yes, I'm either out of touch, or I've got something to gain from it.

💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

No

We had a lad in Longford from Iraq I think and his nickname was "jesus of the bypass" he was always roared at by the local kids.

Spent his days walking the bypass with a Walkman.

I often wonder how he got on. Waffle over.

There's a lot of lost people out there that's for sure. No meaning in their lives, convinced the media is lying to them, everything is a scam, that democracy is a swindle. Easily led by extremists on social media so there's a new hate figure every other day to explain away their spiritual misery.

It's all very sad and a bit like Orwell's Two Minutes of Hate, except it goes on all day and people do it round the clock.

A lot of unwell people out there. And we can see evidence of it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,971 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

Any update on the parts of London women and children wont walk around?

No

Actually stated by Conor Lenihan in 2006, who was minister for integation, that the census undercounted non Irish nationals, no not a new thing.

https://politics.ie/threads/census-underestimated-immigration-conor-lenihan.20747/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes

You mean with the same ethos as FG or FF?

Or do you mean nationalist like the National Party means nationalist? Which by its nature cannot be centrist.

FF and FG are for the most part very competent. If they weren't, we wouldn't be weathering this economic storm better than any other nation in Europe. The problem with being centrist (as opposed to populist or extremist), especially in Ireland, is that its a very broad church and you can only satisfy some of the people, some of the time.

But as long as the unsatisfied are merely grumbling, as opposed to burning the gaff down, you're doing your job right.

Take the Pro Life marches that happen occasionally, or the recent Cost of Living crisis marches, or the anti-vaxxer anti-lockdown marches that took place over Covid. Political issues from across the spectrum but, damp squibs all of them. Numbers in the hundreds not the thousands. Why? Cos most of the people are satisfied most of the time. And any centrist is pretty happy with that.

And thats why they do clean up at election time and have done for a hundred years.

Think about that.