Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You could phone the SC and make sure it's a Ranger call but the SC no longer take telephone calls

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Wondering how many of the Model 3 owners have PIN entry required to drive. Remember from ages ago there was lots of chat about Tesla's among other cars getting stolen by thieves amplifying the key signal from owners homes.

I do, set it first thing when I sat into the car, fob goes in faraday bag every night too. It's not just Tesla, it's any car with remote keys and no insertion of physical key

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I used to hate it.

Now it’s just normal.

You get used to it and it becomes second nature. You get some strange looks from first time passengers though 🤣

Facial recognition would be easier, it's not as if there isn't an internal camera pointed right at you!

• Advertisement

As much and all as the thought of just being able to sit in and drive via the phone appeals to me I think I'll just set it. I do leave the car keys in a faraday box at the moment at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I use it, very minor inconvenience for piece of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Are yous talking about the putting the key cards in a faraday bag or has everyone got Tesla key fobs?

I know I should turn on pin to drive as the Bluetooth can be boosted and it’s been demonstrated on YouTube but I don’t really want to🤣

Post edited by CathalDublin on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The relay attack was generally only possible on the older S/X as they all came with a key fob.

If you only have the 2 supplied key cards and your phone as a key in a Model 3, you can't be relay attacked in the same way that a Model S was stolen from Swords about 2 years ago. The Model 3 key fob which can be purchased in the Tesla store does have a feature to defend against relay attacks in that if it detects no motion for a few minutes, it goes to sleep and stops sending/receiving any wireless signals. It will only activate again when you grab your keys and it senses the movement.

Key Cards don't need to go into a faraday pouch, they'll only work in close proximity to the door pillar and centre console (like chip n pin).

I used to turn off bluetooth on my phone at night as my phone is left on a bedside locker right next to the wall where the car is just outside and below... but that only lasted about 2-3 weeks, and 2.5 years later I never give it a second thought! Some phones I believe you can schedule bluetooth on/off at certain times, but don't think I can do it on an iPhone! (would be handy to save phone battery).

If the bluetooth is ever boosted, Pin to Drive is the last line of defence.... It was turned on the day we collected the car before we left Sandyford, and it's been on ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Arrived home yesterday evening after 12 days away. Car only lost 1% of battery, which seems very low considering temp was quite cold. Resisted temptation to check car too often when away, perhaps 3 times total.😊.

Used another 1% giving the car a quick heat to 18.5c when hopped on airport bus and switching on drivers seat heater and steering wheel heater. Driving to and from airport was 308 km total, both trips were during rush hours traffic so Naas to airport and return was often 50km/h or less. About 50 km each way at 110-120km/h and rest 80km/h speed limit. 23% left when home. Started with 100%.

Looks like my 4km/% is fairly accurate for mixed mainly easy driving at this time of year. Impressed considering the trip up was very wet, yet mild and light tail wind. Trip home was dry and cold but a head wind.

March 2022 Model 3 RWD LFP.

Post edited by eagerv on

• Advertisement

You’ll have no key. It’s the phone or a keycard.

The keycard only works when held against the pillar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I still turn my Bluetooth off every evening. Having lost an Ioniq in 2019 to a relay attack I don't fancy losing a Tesla too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Use pin2drive on mine. For the most part it’s no bother. The only pain is I need to get out of the car at work where I charge my car to swipe the gate to get out. Which means I have to enter it twice with in a min or two.

I only use the pin 2 drive if I am leaving my car all day or when going on hols. Home and work are well covered by cameras, I like the convenience of just getting in and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

I did it via the app. Option to bring to SC in next day or so or it gave me option of home visit about a week later.

Got 2022.40.41 update two days ago. Yesterday did 45 km back home at about 6pm rural roads, plenty of traffic. Auto dip/high beam worked perfectly, didn't blind anyone. Perhaps a little slow to revert back to high beam, but perhaps better that way on twisty roads with a car ahead.

Definitely noticed a drop in regen, had to use normal braking a few times where I normally would not have had to. Having gotten used to the strong regen previously, hope it reverts again on a later update..

Regen probably temp related, LFP batteries do not like a charge when cold, my 3 will still have restricted regen at end of work commute, ~21m steady driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Jees, 21 meters............long enough commute you have there 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I've tested it for a week. My feeling is that full beam is not a setting to be left on auto all the time, especially on urban driving. Does not react on meeting pedestrians and stays on in lit areas. Now it works nearly as good as my paddy speccd 2019 Kona.

• Advertisement

Yes, noticed that last night. Most other auto systems stay dipped when under street lights, or driving very slow in towns. Hopefully a further update will address that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I find it works great for most oncoming traffic now. struggles a bit with the high lights on trucks when the main lights are obscured by the central barrier. Can’t be 100% but I am fairly sure the only other car I have used with auto lights did ok with that. It’s Not fantastic for cars in the distance you are catching up with either leave them on longer than with im comfortable with

but now they are atleast usable and makes it easier to use autopilot when it’s busy and you have to turn that off and on as you overtook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if they could sort that that would be my main bug bearer with the auto lights not dipping in urban areas... auto wipers on the other hand... what a POS spend more time having to manually engage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

have been reasonably happy with the car (RWD) since I got it in September but must say I feel that I have been missold a car that is claimed to have a range of 491kms and when it is fully charged it gives a predicted range of 360km and rarely achieves more than 300km. I haven't gone back through this very large thread but I do recall some discussion about a large buffer with the new LFP battery that is now installed since the summer of 2022. The previous battery seemed to have a better range? I'm surprised there is so little discussion about it here or around the web.

it's a bit of an issue for me as I do a regular run from Dublin to Waterford and thought I would have no problem doing the 320 km round trip without a charge but unfortunately, that isn't the case.

I know in some countries people were notified of the change of battery and given the opportunity to cancel their order if they were unhappy with the change of battery technology.

My 520d was advertised with an average MPG of 50+.

You think that’s achieved in normal day to day driving, not a chance! Long motorway trip keeping to the limits or lower, yes. But it achieves half that in normal dad to day driving.

Same principles apply to EV’s unfortunately.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Don’t drive faster than 90km/h and you’ll easily do the return trip to Waterford on a single charge….

Well when I had a 520d it achieved a far closer mpg to the advertised range than the tesla. Tesla are advertising 490kms range. If I drive like a nun I will achieve 360kms so can't agree with you.

I could get 50 mpg from my remapped 535d on the motorway if I tried. But only for that short duration.

The 490 km is based on a WLPT cycle. Possible but unlikely to be achieved consistently in the real world.

i have a number of issues with tesla range

1. firstly the range appears to have been reduced with the introduction of the lfp battery
    2. the introduction of a safety buffer of at least 10 percent in recent cars further reduces the available battery
    3. lfp performance in winter conditions seems to be poor compared to the previous battery
    4. the in-car range calculator doesn't even claim it is possible to achieve the WLTP instead it claims 70% of that target
    5. the real world achieves 75% of the 70% giving a net 52 percent of the WLTP
    6. advertised WLTP has not changed with reference to any of the above
    7. for me, this is similar to the emissions scandal in terms of misreporting of performance

• Advertisement

Sounds like it’s not the car for you.

There are cars with bigger ranges alright. The LFP battery is known to be poor in cold weather. It was widely reported and I knew that despite nor evening owning one.

The bigger thing is an issue right. Some have unlocked it by driving to 1% and leaving it over night without charging. Posted about in this thread a few times.

Can’t argue with the other points but I would be glued up enough on EV’s to know the WLPT generally can’t be achieved, same for any ICE.

Advertisement