Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Despite it's numerous imperfections Andor is probably the best produced and most iconic content Lucasfilm / Disney have put out in relation to the Star Wars franchise.

My kids don't particularly care for it but I think it's close to exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Won't get a minute to watch it until Xmas, but can't wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No midweek football this week so I watched the first 5 episodes last night. Loved it!!

As you can probably guess, I don't have kids 🤣

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I thought it started slowly. The first 3 episodes could have been rolled into 1. Even the few after that we’re only okay. But it has gotten better and better with each episode since. Denise Gough has been really excellent as Dedra. At this stage it really is hitting its straps and I’m honestly excited for each new episode.

The depth it’s giving the content is superb. To be almost cheering on an antagonist (Dedra) at times because of how they’ve written her and how she’s portrayed shows that most of these aren’t one dimensional, stale and by the numbers characters. But it’s an adults show. Kids won’t get a whole lot from it in the main. I just hope they make more like this because the way it’s going right now it’s the best Star Wars content Disney have produced and right up there as one of the best since the OT.

Wasn't it the same person who made Rogue1, which for me has been the best thing they've made since Lucas sold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Jesus the entire World Cup debacle is so incredibly bad from one end of it to the other. I can't get my head around the sheer scale of inhumanity and corruption.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It'd be nice if people turned away from the sport in droves and the whole ****-pyramid collapsed in on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Has anyone watched Gangs of London.

• Advertisement

No is it any good? They've been pushing it on Sky and was half thinking of watching it.

It's good! But a lot of Characters to follow. It's a more of a zero zero zero type show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty disappointed in England's whole "we will do a protest to show our support until it becomes mildly inconvenient to us" approach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bale was the Captain and goal scorer for Wales. If he wore the arm band he wouldn't have been on the pitch to score the goal as he got a yellow card in the first half.

And?

Players manage to get themselves booked for taking their shirt off to celebrate. They should never have announced they were going to do this if they can be so easily intimidated out of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not mildly inconvenient starting a game with a yellow.

It looks like Iran aren't up to much so losing to USA yesterday means Wales would have to beat England to have any chance of getting out of the group.

If this was rugby I'd very possibly stop watching altogether. Whole thing is grotesque and corrupt and an indictment of governance within the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Couldn't agree more. Won't be watching a single minute it.

I know but if Bale wore the arm band he'd have gotten a yellow. He then got a yellow in the first half so wouldn't have been on the pitch to have been fouled for the penalty or take it either.

• Advertisement

The Iranian players quite possibly risked imprisonment and torture for their display.

Forgive me if I don't much care for a show of support that can be blocked by a commonly experienced sanction in a sports game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The problem goes back to 2010 when Qatar won the bid. The FIFA corruption house of cards didn't fall down until around 2015, at which point I think it was probably too late to switch away from Qatar. The ghosts of the previous FIFA regime are coming home to roost now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

7 years is never too late. A load of countries with existing stadiums could have taken it on at short notice instead of allowing that grotesque sepulture of corruption to emerge from the blood and sand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Presumably they'd have been open to being sued by Qatar.

Also presumably FIFA wound have to have morals, the ability for any self reflection whatsoever and something approaching a sense of shame

Have not watched football in years! Can't believe that Fifa gave the world cup to qutar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've only seen the first season, I did enjoy it but it is extremely violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I reminded me a bit of Banshee for the over the top level of violence. A bit like a Tarantino film.

Entertaining though. Watched both seasons.

I for one am loving the World Cup and working from home. Qatar never should have got it, but once it was chosen, it was never going back. The middle eastern and surrounding areas teams are well supported, which is unusual to see but is good for sport and hopefully relations.

FIFA are an utter disgrace though. I want to throw something at the wall everytime I hear snippets from that clowns monologue the other day. Shameful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I'm following the results, watching some of the games...and supporting Switzerland. However, I'm otherwise not engaged and can't get the same enthusiasm as general as Qatar is just a disgrace. I do wonder though how it's viewed outside Europe - bribes etc are standard business practice in Africa and the Middle East, I doubt there is much controversy outside Europe, North America and Oceania about the whole thing.

Advertisement