Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Cheaper to run they said. I wager they will be more expensive in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, as the take up of EVs rises, we'll see the costs of owning & running rising. Can't be any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Won't pass.

Polling on it has been consistently more than 2-1 against.

I must say I agree. Childhood is short enough as it is. 18 is plenty old enough to come of age and do all that adult stuff; work, marry, drive, finances and even vote.

Yes, political awareness at a school age is a good thing, but 18 is good level of maturity to be able to actually vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The EV owners had free public charging for a good few years now on top of a generous €5,000 grant for the initial EV purchase.

I suppose the well-heeled types (green-conscious voters) have all had their fill of subsidised private travel and now there are more middle-class folk purchasing EVs it's time for the wealthy to pull the bridge up.

Following on from the generous motor tax scheme of 2008 you can see the parallels all over again. Subsidise the wealthy before the middle-class can afford to join the club and then slam the door shut.

Meanwhile the working class will continue to shell out even more keeping older cars on the road thanks to another green policy of whacking €1,500+ in NOx taxes on top of extortionate VRT charges already imposed on car imports. As a result, the second hand car market has virtually collapsed in Ireland now.

But @[Deleted User] and his merry band of supporters will waffle about how you can avoid many of these taxes and get a second-hand EV. The reality is though when you search for a bargain: Search for used and new cars for sale in Ireland (carzone.ie) you'll see a ball-of-scutter like this with a €10,950 price tag: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/nissan/leaf/fpa/202210120667802 which happens to be pretty much the cheapest second hand EV out of a total selection of less than 1,100 second-hand EV cars on offer.

A closer look at these two images:

and

you see that an entire charge gets you a measly 100km. But wait, in between these two photos somebody moved the car ~100m and the battery drops 3km in range. A car like this is totally inappropriate for most folks let alone a family.

I shudder to think how much it would cost to charge these luddite vehicles given the increases in charges. One thing for sure is you would want to make sure you didn't travel far as to need on-street charging considering the massive 52% jump in prices for being so unlucky.

As for a "smart plan" for at home charging? The vast majority of people will not up-to or over double their evening prices to have cheaper overnight EV charging rates. It would be pure folly for most.

Another green "brainwave" was to have these cars "feed" the grid if there was a shortage! Em, so that little 100km range would be 0km if an emergency came up in the evening that you needed immediate access to a car.

Pure bonkers green idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Then like every other time it has been explained to you, you need to read what it says and attempt to understand it. Or at least stop pretending you don`t.

The Marginal Pricing Policy has all the renewables getting their generation accepted first without a price. The rest of the required generation is made up by priced fossil fuels. The price paid for renewables is determined at the top priced fossil fuel in the mix. Regardless if that fuel is as little as a few percent of the total. In our case that is gas, so cost wise as far as the consumer is concerned under the Marginal Pricing Policy renewables in the mix might as well be gas. The only thing that is keeping the overall price lower than that of gas is due to the lesser priced fossil fuels in the mix, not renewables.

But then greens are well aware of that. They know if the Marginal Pricing Policy is dropped then the profit margin for renewables goes out the window and investors will be very reluctant to invest in greens latest hopes at saving their agenda with offshore and hydrogen where investment in either is much more precarious cost wise than onshore and solar.

If renewables are as cheap as we are being told, then under the Marginal Price Policy we are being ripped off by renewables to fund more renewables to be ripped off by those renewables in turn.

But you know all that don`t you.

Let me know what the EU commission says when you correct them. I'll go off their interpretation, thanks though

Actually, Ivory Tower News puts it way better than I could have above!!! 😁

Spot on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's six million tones of uranium reserves at $130/Kg , doubling the price to £260/Kg only gets you two million tonnes extra. Diminishing returns as all the easy uranium was detected long ago.

Six million tonnes will keep today's reactors going for 90 years. Not Centuries. And nuclear provides just 3% of global energy.

The initial fuel load is about three years usage. So using the six million tonnes that's economically accessible we could fuel enough reactors to provide 90% of the worlds energy.

The following year you'd have to use the two million tonnes from poorer grade ores. After that the price goes up exponentially, more importantly the energy used to extract the ore goes up exponentially too. Nuclear is a niche power source as it would be a victim of it's own success.

We've been trying to get over-unity breeding since 1944. Best we've done is to stretch the fuel a little, but it takes a lot of reprocessing. Anytime someone mentions Thorium ask them how the Plutonium is working out, it's almost the same technology, almost the same neutron economy problem.

Japan spent $20Bn on a program that resulted in one reactor connected to the grid for one hour. Quite possibly the most expensive electricity ever.

So to be clear. You finally understand that under the Marginal Pricing Policy for consumers the price of electricity all the renewables might a well be gas and if anything is keeping the price down it is that of lower priced fossil fuels in the mix ?

Something it seems those former heroes of Irish greens, the Germans, were not slow to twig too with their increase in the use of coal.

So why is the E.U. not dropping the Marginal Price Policy if they are serious about reducing the price of electricity. While it is in place, if renewables are as cheap as we are being told, then are we not being ripped off by renewable energy companies ?

• Advertisement

Like I said, I'll go off the EU commission description of marginal pricing. You want to argue about it, talk to them. You seem to be struggling here for some reason

I look forward to gas being pulled out of marginal pricing, it'll be the death of it and will see an insane level of investment into renewables. I really do look forward to it as I believe it will see us transition at a much faster rate

As usual the only one struggling here is you attempting not to answer a very straight forward question.

Disingenuous posting in the extreme.

Post edited by charlie14 on

🤷‍♂️ I'm going by the definition put forward by the EU Commission. I've been quite clear on that. Talk to them if you don't like that definition, nothing to do with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Great day for Ireland! Ryan's attempt to stall Barryroe development with spurious questions about funding availability appears to be going t1ts up...

More from the Business Post:

Analysis: Larry Goodman backing could finally be the key to unlock major Cork oil field

Barryroe Offshore Energy has endured many bad times over the course of its chequered history.

Today though its long-suffering shareholders are enjoying one of their better days aftr the company secured the long-term finance many thought it stood little chance of landing.

Larry Goodman, the beef magnate, has agreed to underwrite the entire €40 million cost associated with developing the Barryroe oil and gas field off the Cork cost.

The exploration company, known until recently as Providence Resources, has been trying for years to develop the field with little success.

A series of backers and potential partners have come and gone, all of which gave the impression to many observers of a company with little viable future.

The latest setback for the company came last month when it announced to the market that the Department of Energy, Climate Action and Communications (DECC) had been in touch to say it didn’t believe Barryroe had demonstrated it had sufficient financing to be awarded a lease which would allow it to drill an appraisal well.

The company was given until November 21 to demonstrate it had the means to meet the requirements of DECC’s financial capability test, and set about talking to investors immediately in an urgent bid to prove it had the requisite backing.

Early this morning, Barryroe updated the market with the news that Goodman, through Vevan Unlimited, his investment vehicle, had “substantially agreed a funding arrangement” with the company, Under the agreement Vevan would “underwrite all of the expected funding required to undertake the work programme proposed in the lease undertaking application”, it added in a statement.

Alan Curran, the company’s new chief executive, said it had worked to “solve the issues” identified by DECC over recent weeks and flagged the path forward for Barryroe with Goodman’s backing now secured.

“Subject to Ministerial consent, once the lease undertaking is in place, we will rapidly move to commence preparations for drilling operations,” Curran said.

Barryroe’s management and several investors had been bullish about its chances of landing such a commitment in the few weeks the department afforded it, but the news was met with a degree of surprise in many other quarters, As one shareholder told the Business Post last year - after Alan Linn left as chief executive and a farm-out deal with SpotOn, the Norwegian firm, fell apart - there’s a reason Barryroe has been a penny stock for so long. Others have raised concerns with what was perceived to have been the inaccessibility of the field’s resources.

For Goodman, one of Ireland’s most astute investors, to plough up to €40 million into Barryroe he must have seen appraisals of the field which show a clear path to commercial success for the business.

Even for a man of his wealth, such a large investment marks a very significant commitment.

A reminder from yesteryear that there are up to a billion barrels of indigenous oil to be tapped:

The definition on the Margin Pricing Policy put forward by the E.U. is exactly the same situation I asked you a question on and you refused to answer.

As I said. The usual disingenuous posting from you. Green good news puff piece headlines often posted without reading the article through and then the usual refusal to answer when it is shown to you that what it says is not what you thought it said.

The latest setback for the company came last month when it announced to the market that the Department of Energy, Climate Action and Communications (DECC) had been in touch to say it didn’t believe Barryroe had demonstrated it had sufficient financing to be awarded a lease which would allow it to drill an appraisal well.

Hahahaha I've been saying that for over a year and everyone said I hadn't a clue. Turns out I was bang on the money. 😎😎

It remains to be seen if DECC will be satisfied with this, probably they will.

Honestly I hope they go ahead with the appraisal drilling because the results will likely be as poor as the previous investigations they've completed. Then they'll be back to begging for funding again at which point they will likely run out of luck.

God only knows what they had to give Goodman to get his backing.

Cue the lads who think Barryroe is the great gas saviour for the country (despite the company having zero plans to extract the tiny bit of gas)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Im saying this again: stop engaging w DaCor. You can be sure he will rip things out of context, waylay or double down on any inconsistencies. It is not worth it and It just cloggs up the thread as he always will be the first to respond. And then you respond to that. That wheel never stops and you are partially responsible as you will give him the opportunity.Please think about it for a moment. You wouldnt make eye contact with an agressive drunk, would you? Unless you are drunk yourself. Then you simply engage in a brawl. Just like it takes 2 to tango. So, maybe contemplate whether he is a worthy opponent. So far, none is the wiser with the to and fro unless you imagine some impartial judge who gives out points. If it continues i might have to, once again, withdraw. Getting rather tired of bypassing/ignoring DaCor's posts and then seeing them showing up in a poster's comment. This thread deserves better..

The gas?

"The gas" he says 😂

**** the gas, this is about the black gold baby.

30 Billion yoyos worth of recoverable light, sweet, liquid petroleum. Mmm good, real good, feels good, tastes good.

Wow the rate of climate actions being completed across all govt departments is flying. Still some room for improvement but a pretty decent rated of completion all the same.

I'm still going through the report so will post more on it in the next few days

The next raft of actions for govt departments, local authorities etc will be released in the next couple of weeks, will be interesting to see what they will go after next

Naturally that will be twisted and sneered at by our resident self promoted expert on oil exploration with "there is nothing there" which has always begged the question, which par usual went unanswered, then why not grant the licence rather than back Ryan`s hand-sitting and bulls**t from his Dept. as it was not going to cost the state a penny for doing so. More a case of making a few bob for the state through the licence fee.

You can say what you want about Larry Goodman, but one of those is not that he has not been a very astute investor all his life and he doesn`t strike me as someone that would just throw away €40 million on a long-shot odds bet or just to show Ryan up for the duplicitous Minister he is

• Advertisement

Having worked in State bodies in the past, I'd suggest you dig a little into what they've said they've done, versus what is actually done....

The progress report is pretty detailed on what has/hasn't been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Starting 77% is not the same as completed. Says Implemented not finished. Wording is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Meanwhile in the land of reality :

This is great to see. Starting off with 6 planes and expanding to 18 by 2028.

The world isn’t going backwards as some on here love to fantasize about. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I love that the ultimate Beef Baron is underwriting Barryroe. The Greens will be choking on their lettuce.

I know a few people who’ve worked closely with Goodman over the years. I’ll take his judgement any day over any cutter and paster here with limited reading comprehension skills.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Honestly I hope they go ahead with the appraisal drilling because the results will likely be as poor as the previous investigations they've completed. Then they'll be back to begging for funding again at which point they will likely run out of luck.

What poor results are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Any ev I see is shiney new at the moment. All good n fine on the initial rollout. Wait till second hand market kicks in.

People will be stranded all over the place and long tailbacks rampant due to blocked roads n motorways

I imagine that the folk taking delivery of those shiny new motors, or are locked in to a contract to pay for one, are gnashing their teeth that the on-street cost to recharge one now matches and will soon exceed the cost to fuel a typical ICE model, having paid 30 to 50% more in the showroom for an EV in the first place.

Oh dear.

• Advertisement

Results which have been consistently showing that while there is oil and gas there, it can't be extracted in a profitable way.

The numbers may change if oil goes as high as I'm expecting over the next few years but it would have to be a lot higher than the current price to make Barryroe commercially viable.

Advertisement