Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless in hotels.. see what ye make of this...?

Options
  • 22-11-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

We were staying in a hotel last week for a few nights - 4 star - in a city..

Thursday night - 10pm - we met 2 women in the bar who were staying in the hotel as they were homeless.. waiting for a house from the council or whatever..

Anyway, they were both on the rip.. quite drunk and offering to buy other residents drinks..

They were popping up to their rooms at intervals as one of them had a 6 month old baby asleep..

I think some on social benefits got extra € last week..?

Anyway.. it just made me wonder.. seems like a bizarre situation.. government paying for these people to stay in a hotel and there they are on the lash..

They have my sympathy - there are obviously addictions there..

But... well.. I am sure you can see why I am so baffled by this..

I am not sure what the solution is, but something is v wrong there, no?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Filed under it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ok, what hotel? It's not breaking any rules or confidences to say which one, as it's public knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The Real President Trump

This is what happens when people don't take responsibility for their actions and are enabled to. There's a difference between providing for a cohesive society and allowing poor behaviour to gain advantage

We're not helping we're creating an underclass and division in society which will result in the undermining of very good and genuine social investment

First of all they shouldn't be in hotels that's an example of failure, society should have a range of housing options private, shared equity and public. In private those who can pay for themselves do, shared equity allows social mobility and ties society together through reward for their work, public should provide for those that can't provide for themselves but it should not provide for those to the detriment of the people carry the load

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭sporina

not naming the hotel - why on earth would that matter anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement

eh, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

To support the OP - I’ve witnessed and seen similar situations. So called Homeless partying in the hotel bar - no worries about money etc.

it would make you wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We had to live in a hotel for two months while a cowboy builders mess was fixed at our home and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. You'd think it would be great but it wears thin very fast. You can't cook or wash clothes and it's so tough on kids at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Social welfare is far too generous here. One of the highest in the world and is an effective barrier to work.

A value should be put on everything and then a maximum value be implemented with no benefits above that.

Children's allowance in particular should be changed with decreasing amounts after child #2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Why should children's allowance decrease after child #2? The dole needs cutting and reform, as does the generous free gaffs for life....but kids allowance after child 2 I cant make sense of when I see this being suggested.

Stay Free

Affordable housing, simples, shared equity private estates for people with incomes of circa 40k to 70k, people have mortgages for bulk of price with government providing a portion.

You fail to pay your mortgage then your out. Everyone works, people get a good deal, housing stock increases and the people respect their homes because they are on the hook for the debt. Eventually purchase of the government equity

Expanded housing stock eventually, slowly but eventually frees up other housing for those that are not in a position to contribute but with a path to the shared equity scheme when they are

I think it's Hong Kong where by the government builds housing and the services to go with it and it's very successful

There's a variation of this in Canada where it works well also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Is citywest still open or is it all homeless and Ukrainians now?

I remember staying a night there in a building separate from the main hotel and it was clear most of the residents were living there full time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We don't need yet another thread combining social welfare bashing and accommodation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement