Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

The State (via bodies like SEAI) need to know how the housing 'stock' is doing. The BER gives that detail. We and the UK have heaps of old badly insulated houses. Which the gov needs to know to plan cutting emissions from housing.

You're in a new house afaik - lucky duck :) But we're in a G rated 80 year old house (from a 12year old BER, but it's improved since). So for our type of house to move off fossil fuels is harder (for 'hard' substitute higher costs). Ours is an ex-council / corporation house in Dublin. Tens of 1000s of these exact same houses in Dublin.

And I know, the BER can be largely inaccurate at times. But that's a separate point.

So the logic for a BER as part of the grant is sound. Losing 12.5% of the grant is not sound and that sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

What make are you getting installed? For giveenergy it's very easy to change settings via their cloud web app..

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

9 days with our solar/battery setup. Very happy so far. Our battery size (9.5kw) seems about right.. we can usually get to 11pm night rates handy enough with it..today's been a struggle but that's with Sunday roast in the oven, three showers and lots of use of the induction hob. Would have imported a couple or kw from the grid when the showers and cooking spiked above 2.6kw

Probably facing into the worst 4 weeks of the year solar wise. If we didn't have the battery and filling it at night I think I'd be scratching my head re value of the system.

Why do people say batteries aren't worth it? Surely use of a night tarrif and import makes them essential for the winter?

Need to suss out the best energy supplier for end of Jan.. with EI till then.

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

There's all different types of people out there that installers have to deal with. The pay back on the battery is much longer than just solar all things being equal, and because most people don't understand how to compare like with like, you'll get told it's not worth it. Maximizing consumption of Solar isn't worth it for sure with the fit and that's what most people think of batteries as for. Shifting consumption from day rate to night rate is something people struggle with how to cost properly. You also need to get the right price point, one installer was quoting 1 grand per kWh battery capacity.

Im going to 10kWh 100% DoD and I'm most looking forward to minimizing day rate power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What does the BER show? Is it that the solar system improves the rating of the house? Is the grant automatically approved with the BER?

I doubt my rating will improve, it's an A2. Certain grants require a minimum improvement, but the solar grant isn't one of them.

Thanks. If solar doesn't require an improvement why is it needed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

SEAI use it as a proof of completion of works.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭cobham

So we need a BER done and then do we send that to installer and hope he sends it in with other paperwork for grant? He is hard to contact now! We had one done maybe 10 yrs ago now for previous insulation grant/boiler upgrade so that one wont 'do'.

Aren't there other forms that demonstrate that.

Your BER only lasts ten years anyway. My installer isn't applying for the grant on my behalf, that key turn service tends to be provided by the larger suppliers and you end up paying for it regardless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What forms are you referring to? The BER acts as checks and balances to ensure that the SEAI aren't acting as a cash machine for non-existant Solar PV install. Not perfect, but far better than a self-declaration form.

Unsure but I assume something like a declaration of works form. Also isn't this notifiable work requiring certification? For the EV charger there was a form 3 completed by the supplier along with invoices. Seems this is a redundant check as proof of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭con747

My BER accessor sent it in to the SEAI, that was not included in my install price so I had to arrange it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

If you are getting a hybrid inverter with battery it should have (will have) CT clamps on your ESB incomer and obviously it will be monitoring the PV production. All these inverters will have online access (might have to buy a WiFi dongle) to see what you are producing/exporting.

I didn't have a hybrid inverter so it sisnt have the CT clamps on my incomer to see what I was exporting. Therefore I set Home Assistant on a raspberry Pi4 and then used a couple of ShellyEM's to monitor the circuits I need.

Wait until you get your install done and see what monitoring comes with it first before you start investing in other technology.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Would an invoice and receipt not prove this?

It just looks like a box ticking exercise.

Seen an interesting post on the giveenergy community forum. Apparently through firmware they are upping the output of gen 2 invertors from 3600 watts to 4000 watts

Makes sense, the 3.6Kwh thing is a UK limit, so likely was always software throttled as opposed to a hardware limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

I got quoted for a 3.2kw system as the installer said it was unlikely they would get 4kw worth of panels on the roof and he applied for my grant on the basis of a 3.2kw system, which was for 2160 euro.

On installation day they were able to get the extra panels up there so I got a 4.1kw system.

I thought I would be now eligible for the full 2400 grant but I've just rang the SEAI and they said I wouldnt be as the works are now completed and I would have had to change the grant amount beforehand. Has anyone any experience of this? Surely I should be entitled to the full grant as I had a system over 4kwh installed?

I would ask the installer to do something on the difference, the SEAI have very little movement when it comes to these sort of issues. Keep trying them and your installer though to make up the shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

I don't understand why installers wouldnt just put in 4kwh and cover themselves to prevent this.

I asked my installer about this when the grant application was made and they said the SEAI would pay out the grant amount based on the size of system their works completion documents showed were installed.

I would expect the installer to take the hit, he should have known it could fit the bigger system if they surveyed the job properly. If it was me I would be getting them to make up the difference. Bottom line is it was their mistake that has you out of pocket, and for €240 you would hope they would take it on the chin.

After 36 hours without water in North Dublin and then a 3 hour powercut as everyone probably showered, cooked etc.. I think I'd like to follow up and look and wiring up the backup supply of my invertor.

My installer wont do it but could another electrician after all grant paperwork etc is signed off? I'd look at method three in the attached.

Cheers,

Mick

What's the issue with your installer? Mine offered me the option. It's a bit of hassle and cost so I didn't go for it.

Not sure why your installer won't just put a double socket beside your inverter, mine done it in a couple of minutes. It's only a few feet of cable and a double socket with a connector https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/lighting-connectors/5131941 like the one on a Solis inverter. Less than €20 in cost retail in total.

Looking at the PDF he's going for the proper solution, splitting off a couple circuits to a sub consumer unit and having that run off the inverter. That's much more involved than getting a socket installed.

I asked for a socket but they said seai would approve etc.. didn't argue to much.. think they just didn't want the hassle.. to be honest I like the idea of the manual switchover to power the house circuits.. I realise won't be able to use shower or oven but just lights and TV etc.. if I could do that for a few hundred euro I'd do it.. the installer mentioned the system would need to be recommissioned if the EPS was wired so maybe they need to be someone with giveenergy installer status?

• Advertisement

I didn't open the PDF, I never open unknown files (no offence) but unless you get regular power cuts like I do, 7 so far this year the double socket will keep your basics going. I have a changeover switch lined up when my installer is nearby again now that the possibility of inspection has passed. It should still be something an installer could do if they wanted to. It shouldn't cost a fortune either, a Hager changeover switch less than €90 + fitting.

Advertisement