Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How long are you going to wait for the dysfunction to pass? A year, five, ten? And all that time you will complain about the fact that young people can’t buy houses.

As I said, people emigrated in the past, not all teachers/Gardai will leave, there will be replacements. Due to job opportunities we haven’t had as many people leaving the country, in fact astonishingly, we have more Irish people returning at the moment even though the housing situation is so bad.

You call it selfish, I call it being pragmatic, if you can’t get what you want where you want, then look to another area, don’t whinge for years that life is unfair and dysfunction robbed you of a place to live in the area you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How are we supposed to continue any kind of growth in Dublin area if we cannot get teachers to teach in schools? Or gardai to tackle crime?

And the issue right now is not people leaving the country, its leaving Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow. Nobody wants to teach there anymore because its too expensive to live anywhere near work. And there are not replacements coming, as evidenced by the unprecedented staff retention crisis. They cannot staff many schools, even with substitutes.

Its pragmatic for those who choose to leave, I agree. However the ramifications of that are that schools in GDA are going understaffed. Soon Dublin education will become significantly worse than that of the rest of the country. But sure thats just pragmatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Naive is thinking that we are working to solve the problem when in reality we are making it worse with every passing year and legislation.

Finding a job is not the issue, finding a place to live is. If that continues finding a job will become an issue as those that provide them can go elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭wassie

You are not special, you don’t deserve any more than the people who went before you. So take stock, and look to where you can afford to buy.

Tell that to the people who can afford to buy, but have to drive miles across town because they cant get their kids into schools.

From the article I posted

"The lack of accommodation is being felt in schools and colleges, representatives for teachers and lecturers say. This is impacting staffing, with teachers walking away from jobs in Dublin and other urban centres because of the cost of housing."

and

"Meanwhile, many teachers on a daily basis bear witness to the difficulties experienced by pupils from homeless families and often feel helpless to respond effectively."

You seem to want to focus on a 'generation that needs to feel special' as though its sour grapes, but cant seem to grasp the bigger picture that this affects all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

You are essentially conceding that this time is not different to before and in fact the country is not doing as well as portrayed. Therefore, the price of housing and the shortage of housing are not explainable by a strong economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

pretty bad! unless things are addressed asap we'll be in a lot of trouble. hopefully this is a wake up call for LV. his comments yesterday were tone deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

How can we solve our problem when we have a leftist media and government who trumpet the poor all the time. You cannot say things like "we have too many refugees coming in", The fact is when bill time comes the same people are expected to pay the bills by overtaxing labour. The facts are successive governments since the last crash had no money to build affordable houses due to pumping cash into areas like welfare and our public sector pay and pensions. Now the leftist attitude has upped a notch and I seen a figure of 62k refugees coming in from the Ukraine alone, there are stories of Poish people who have a house in Poland coming here and going straight on the housing list. The issue now is those who were supposedly "the Irish" poor in the country are now competing on a global scale with regards to who needs resources using local recourses. We cannot keep paying out for this its simply not doable.

The main issues we as a country face IMO are 4 fold.

We need more housing, where are the modular homes? There needs to be a change in the Nimby attitude from people who want to support the poor but not in their back yard. There also needs to be changes to the planning procedure lots of unused commercial buildings in Dublin city center that could be turned into apartments quite quickly with a change in planning use.

We need more rules to protect against welfare tourism and any person not fitting the strict criteria of the refugee laws should be sent packing, including those who have no direct flight to Ireland and those who arrive in Ireland and throw their papers away before getting here and play dumb. We are a soft touch for welfare. There also needs to be a crackdown on welfare. There are too many baby daddies being left off the hook and there are too many new daddies coming in and working and living with ladies who have a kid and who have been gifted a free/cheap accommodation so basically milking the system.

We need a crackdown on politicians. I find it hard to believe any of them as there is no real consequence to spinning a yarn to get power and when in power its all about staying there. This is simple all political parties should be asked what 10 things they will change, introduce or remove and that is the manifesto , this sh1te of having a manifesto like "War and Peace" is useless and very few people will bother reading it. So 10 short points as in "I will build x amount of housing in my years in government". So concise and a way to measure a politician performance. With this, a politician in power should receive a % of the pension based on how many points they managed to implement in their time. So if its 2 then 20% we need more stick for these guys than carrots.

We need to break our spend side down into % of what is taken in and we really need to take the foot off the neck for those working. So say a certain % for welfare, PS pay and pensions, infrastructure - etc. We need to move away from our reliance on corpo tax (if we had not been so successful in this area 2022 would of been an absolute clusterphuck). Our politicians need to go through our spend root and branch and cut the fat.

The above may feel like tough measures but this is how the working people who as Leo says "getting up in the morning" have been treated for the last number of years, we are like a magic money tree that others seem to just want to take more and more and its strange to have a completely dysfunctional country were welfare competes with low paying jobs and low paying jobs compete with higher paying jobs and the amount of tax paid at such a low level is a barrier for working harder and longer. It just beggars belief that the majority of Irish politicians have left this status quo go for so long.

It's not going to be a wake up call to Leo Varadker as this is exactly what he and his party have actively sought to achieve. That is the unfortunate reality and it must be a form of Stockholm Syndrome to think FF/FG will see these types of reports and suddenly do the total opposite to what they have been doing.

Our housing crisis is a political issue and unfortunately today is the result of a generation of politicians who have a fear of a return to the 1980s and a fear of another 2008 crash, while at the same time seem to measure society's wealth and prosperity based on home ownership of homes that are increasing in value. This does not reflect Ireland in 2022 (or even Ireland back in 2016 to be honest), where we are not a country needing to go cap-in-hand to international bond investors for State spending (as the ECB has underwritten our economy to the tune of effectively unlimited "borrowing"), we have a young and educated population that can offer more than just being tax cows to be milked via the MNC gravy train and renting is something that many people would happily do long term as home ownership is not such a big deal to them so cheap rentals should be available en masse.

Ignoring the potential for an economic crash, the end of the housing crisis will ultimately come from the electorate in the next few years as the majority of voters becomes the non-homeowning group and, quite simply, they won't be voting for parties and policies that base the prosperity of the country on the price of housing being high and constantly increasing.

Look, we all know that the best way out of this is to build hundreds of thousands of houses, but it is not going to happen anytime soon. And bleating about dysfunction, lack of growth, government policy etc isn’t going to make a hundred thousand houses appear. Changing government parties isn’t going to do it either unless you think that Mary Lou is going to pull the houses out of a hat.

I really don’t get why people think life owes them ownership of a house where they want, I don’t remember people in the past thinking they were owed a job, without which of course they were not in a position to buy a house. Not all teachers and Gardai are going to suddenly decide to leave Dublin/Ireland, but those that do may find a better life elsewhere. Will schools suddenly close due to lack of teachers? Unlikely, though recruitment may be challenging. Will there suddenly be no Gardai? Of course not, there will still be some that do want to live in Dublin.

So look, if you want to wait for, or feel you can only prosper if someone has to hold your hand and help you buy a property, then by the looks of things you will have a very long wait.

• Advertisement

I really don’t get why people think life owes them ownership of a house where they want,

Where has anyone mentioned this today? People arent 'bleating about dysfunction'. People are suffering.

Look, we all know that the best way out of this is to build hundreds of thousands of houses, but it is not going to happen anytime soon

Almost 5 years to the day

"Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy has said that the demand for housing is going to get worse before it gets better, however he maintained that Government policies were working because more houses would be built in 2018."

....anytime soon

Motion to declare a housing emergency to be debated in the Dail tonight. It will be interesting to see if the government try to argue black is white or if they will support this. I don't think it is hyperbolic anymore to say the lack of housing and the cost of housing is more damaging to society as a whole than COVID, it truly is devastating to multiple generations and is causing the greatest inequality of wealth distribution in the country in the modern era.

The only way for the crisis to end is for supply to greatly pick up but also house prices and rents must crash, otherwise supply of expensive homes won't solve anything.

You are making my point for me, things have gotten worse over the last 5 yrs, not better, it could be decades before demand and supply are close to equilibrium, what is the point of waiting for it to happen so you can buy a house?

Has anyone mentioned this today? Have people stopped complaining that they should be able to afford to buy a house or that those on the average wage shouldn’t be unable to buy one? If people are suffering only because they can’t afford to live where they want, then they should be looking at ways to alleviate that suffering, by looking to a market where they can afford to buy.

If you look ahead 10 yrs and think you are not going to be able to buy a house there during that period, then in 2032 if you still don’t own a house, you will have to look yourself in the mirror and ask why you stayed in Dublin for that 10 yrs if owning a house meant that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I feel Dublin was a great place 2013-2017 which was after the bailout and it was a vibrant growing city, but the character changed noticeably around 2017 onwards when accomodation started to get stupid. Fewer professionals and more language students, the latter who tended not to go out as much. Lockdown was the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

2017 was the year my landlord in Ranelagh said "the nephew is coming up from the country for college", and 6 months later to the day my apartment that was €1050 a month went on Daft for €1800 (the poor nephew must not have got his spot 😥)after it was "substantially upgraded". I agree that around this time felt like the city changed for the worst. The Bernard Shaw was soon to be closed, and all the fun seemed to be sucked out of the place by greed and a huge increase in petty crime. Never thought I'd say it, but the landlord done me a huge favour when I look back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

I pop into this forum every now and again. Its always the same old culprits saying prices cant go down and prices will go up because supply, blah blah blah. Some of these guys have almost made it their full time job😂, like awec and Dav010, guys posting every day like their life depends on it, I dont know what they get out of it.

There are others, posting uninformed stuff on the other side. These guys probably are posting out of desperation, trying to get on the ladder.

But, people still havent got it. Rates are rising, central banks are tightening, this is all that matters. Prices are going down. I have been around the block before and its always the same....there is always a reason some fools that will swear by it that prices cant drop. These guys will have some excuse this time next year and wont admit they were wrong.

Meanwhile, many are going to get burned. Be careful out there.

And then there are those who like to respond to their own posts.

Which posters post most on this thread? It certainly isn’t me or awec, but seen as it is a discussion forum, complaining about participants posting seems a unique take on the discussion aspect of a forum like boards.ie.

Can you instead quote a poster who swears prices can’t drop? One will do, bet you can’t though.

Edit: interesting article in the IT related to an EU study on house prices and supply (they don’t mention blah blah blah in the report, maybe they didn’t take the effect of blah into account). Having been around the block, what is you view on this report.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭jj880

Hopefully you are right. Its well overdue.

Seeing as you've been around the block and its always the same please give a prediction - by what % do you think prices will drop and over what time frame?

I pop into this forum every now and again.

Given you've only been around a couple of months, fair guess you had to re-reg cos you got banned for trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its very hard to call the direction prices will go. Up until 6 months ago I could not see them dropping and I started to change my view from June of this year, yet things like the lending rules being changed, the government introducing new schemes for FTBs and possibly the most overwhelming fact of our explosion of growth in our demographics, I don't give much heed to David McWilliams but his latest podcast is all about preparing Ireland for 10 million people and he has a very convincing argument for that number. The fact is we need supply and quick but the goal posts keep moving as more and more people need to be housed as time ticks by. Also we don't know how much longer interest rates will rise some people are saying they could start dropping in the next 12 months. Who knows way to many variables now to call it and with the price of building a new house forever increasing no one will build at a loss and prices for new builds going up pushes up second hand property as well. Dav010 may be a bit entrenched in his view but he is correct in some aspects if people cant find a place to live there is no certainty that prices are going to drop and you would be looking at yourself in the mirror in 10 years time having paid out for very high rents and then still not being able to afford to buy when you could of went else where for a better quality of life.

Pepper increasing its standard variable rate to 6.5%, bringing its average SVR to 5.25% now - wow. There's money to be made by banks at the moment raising rates and I don't think they will hesitate in the next year to raise across the board fairly substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Dav010 is correct for a mobile young person with no family commitments but he view is anti democratic, (get out if you can't afford it) and that's why it grates with so many here imho. People should be able to vote for a party that caters to those that may have elderly parents to care for and a multitude of other reasons that mean they cannot just up sticks and live in Manchester.

In what way is it anti-democratic?

The decision on who you vote for is not contingent on looking for a place where you afford to live. Vote for whomever you want, it is your democratic right as long as you are registered to vote.

The changing of the lending rules in a time when rates are rising was the biggest telltale sign of the direction prices are going. It certainly isnt to help buyers so one must read between the lines.

Clearly someone knows whats on the horizon and is trying to minimize drops \ eek out the last buyers before the inevitable happens.

4.5 multiple doesnt matter much when credit is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

All documents sent by mortgage advisor to bank which I'm told is gonna take a few weeks.

Its a new build I'm buying so snag has been done along with valuation. Anything else I can do now as I wait to hear before contracts are signed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

On the very same publication.....

If prices are severely unaffordable and rents are worse, that would imply a market in complete dysfunction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

100 percent, then fabricates a narrative to argue against, havent seen a poster yet that has argued prices cant drop or will never go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I watched one of the councils houses in my block this morning be gutted. The house is immaculate no expense spared the kitchen cost about 10 grand. Why? All the built in units, wardrobes just broken up and dumped. What an absolute waste I was raging over it, its in turnkey condition, vacated about 18 months ago, you could move in tomorrow. It doesn't have a tenant yet, it was council workers and sub contractors in there.

Advertisement