Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A new and improved twitter would have fewer daily users i.e. they would get rid of the millions of bots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sure it was already pointed out earlier in the thread that the likes of Myspace and Digg still exist and Bebo was back until it closed again not too long ago. Twitter will survive, even if every member of staff gets fired and Musk sells it on as a brand it'll retain some value. If Twitter was on the up as some here have suggested I'm not sure Elon would have had a legal team trying to get him out of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

No but there was a Twitter thread shared earlier with 20 or more apocalyptical scenarios in which Twitter will face some sort of critical system failure because those irreplaceable engineers and content moderators were let go. So when does that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Any day now twitter is going to collapse. Elon didn't want to make it profitable, they "forced" him to make money 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what money has he made? his shares in tesla have dropped because investors dont think he is spending enough time on tesla. and he certainly wouldn't get his money back if he sold twitter. so, what money has he made?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

His net worth is down over $100B this year due to the ongoing collapse in the Tesla Stock price.

Tesla make really good cars and he drove the EV market forward over the last 5-10 years without doubt , but all the other manufacturers have caught up now.

Even with the ~50% decline in the Stock price , Tesla is still hugely over-valued based on all the usual measures like EPS etc.

There's another 40-50% to go before it gets to being in a normal range for it's actual size and profits etc.

That pressure on his main source of wealth is going to massively impact his ability to fund the Twitter takeover.

The Tesla stock price will be more of a determining factor in the future of Twitter than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It was in a thread of nearly 50 two minute segments, but it's been deleted. I think that any movie that was up has probably been taken down by now.

So because Twitter just doesn't want to play along and die already now people are attacking Musk on his unquestionable achievements like Tesla, SpaceX and Starlink? Man child heh?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

How bout that. Balenciaga left twitter (and Instagram) because a **** storm of controversy was coming their way. Yet the msm duped people into thinking it was an act of defiance against Musk. The media can literally make people believe anything.

The concern I would have is that companies like Space X, Starlink and even early Tesla, but that's now starting to change as it goes mainstream, can be run in a quirky and disruptive kind of way, as they're extremely focused on technology and very little else. He brought publicity in a big way too.

Twitter is very different to any of those. It's a mature social media brand and is effectively a media company and a social phenomenon. It needs calm and sensible management that understands humans and human behaviour. It also doesn't have any need for publicity. It's a well known brand and it grows through interaction and networks building themselves on its platform.

Running something like Twitter at this stage needs to be rather mundane, boring and about creating stability, comfortable revenue streams and all of that. It's not about disruption. At this stage, Twitter can only really disrupt itself.

It's all suddenly become about Twitter rather than about the content on Twitter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Don't think people are attacking him for his previous achievements.

Most are just saying that those achievements do not automatically transfer to him being a success with Twitter.

His other successes have been in creating a market where it didn't really exist with a very technical product - Like Tesla or by pushing the envelope on the technical front for something very "grand" like SpaceX and to a lesser extent Starlink.

He absolutely deserves credit and praise for that.

Twitter is an advertising.marketing company at its core, which leverages its technology to sell advertising.

Musk doesn't understand advertising and is known for thinking it a stupid and pointless thing - None of his other companies do any kind of advertising and he famously fired the PR department for Tesla a few years ago.

His management style potentially works in companies that have a big "Vision" that everyone buys into - "Save the planet with Electric cars" or "Send a person to Mars" or whatever. Staff will put up with a lot of crap if they believe in the vision.

Hard to see staff getting fired up and buying in to working 80hrs a week for Twitter.

It should be noted that whilst Musk has made a lot of money from his companies in terms of the stock price , none of them are actually profitable (Tesla would not be in the black were it not for the Government levies that they receive).

So , it's perfectly reasonable to wonder if he is capable of actually making Twitter profitable especially being as he probably paid about $20B more than it was worth.

I do think people begrudge him for petty reasons including, but not limited to, his perceived political leaning. And for these petty reasons they wish him to fail even if that means the end of everything he had created.

And cue he didn't create anything edgy reply.

Not wanting an arsehole to succeed isn't "political".

I think people don't like him because he is objectively not a likable person and goes out of his way to show it by the way he behaves.

His "politics" are mostly linked to his belief that he knows best and wants to be able to act with impunity in everything that he does.

I don't think he actually has any firmly held political viewpoints beyond that core tenet.

He doesn't like to be challenged or questioned and lashes out when people do either.

See his recent petulant "firing" of a staff member by tweet or his pedophile dig at the diver who told him his "mini-sub" idea to save the kids trapped in the cave was stupid.

He's no bigger arsehole than Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg. Actually maybe he's even a smaller arsehole than those. His only defect is his political opinions and his public persona.

It's the "public" bit that's the point here and again his "politics" aren't political they are his persona.

I do not believe that he is right or left wing in particular - He is "my way or the highway" which in the current US environment might make him seem more aligned to the GOP/Right wing viewpoint , but his political leaning is utterly fungible as long as he gets what he wants.

All those other ultra wealthy types could indeed be thundering arseholes in private but we don't necessarily know about it.

Maybe Musk is just more honest about it , but there is little to like about him as a person - You can respect his achievements and still not like him however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Zuckerberg is a publicly renowned arsehole of the highest order, even with a popular movie showing it! Gates would've been carefully cultivating his public image separate to his private image but of course that has fallen apart with the seedy accusations about him the last year or so. Public perception is fickle and Musk is the flavour of the day, also being an easy target at the moment but the masses will move on to someone else soon I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And when threads are started talking about any of them, I'm sure plenty will say similar of them. Though I doubt Jobs will show much innovation from the grave so maybe not the best whatabout.

However, Musk intentionally puts himself in a very public space - none of the examples you gave come close, especially Zuckerberg whose social awkwardness is borderline mythical. No less a díckhead but has the selfawareness to keep his head down (presumably because he doesn't understand human emotions). Maybe the more apt comparison would be Jeff Bezos, being a similar rocket obsessed billionaire. Bar his yacht and divorce: how often does Bezos' personality or politics get dissected? How often does he post memes and crudities online for lols?

It's a bit disingenuous to cry foul for a brazenly public figure getting lampooned/criticised/commented upon for his brazenly public pronouncements. Christ he presented SNL- when did Jobs? He invites discourse, he seems to thrive on it. If plonkers like myself should be chastened it's probably for falling for Musk's asinine schtick rather than depriving musk of oxygen.

As for his politics? Musk's politics are: whatever makes Musk wealthy and powerful; he doesn't care about the rest of us. any overlapping principles are purely coincidental.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I think there are people who don't even particularly like Twitter but want him to succeed for "owning the libz" type nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nope most people don't like twitter for 2 reasons it's clearly biases in one direction. And that direction is full of toxic angry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Not sure what your reply means or why you quoted me.

Twitter aside, the guy in the video you have linked is to be avoided at all costs. He's another one of that ever-growing group of charlatans online trying to get people to pay into their "Business Mentoring". The same people love their MLM and Affiliate Marketing, writing throwaway self-help and business strategy books and other grifter schemes.

Are they one of them how to be rich. Not telling how to be rich is telling gullible people how to be rich.

They tend to provide people with really generic self-help type guidelines, often lifted from other business gurus. They love throwing in lots of vague quotes from the likes of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates to try and give their material an air of legitimacy. You also see the same tactics with people who sell courses or webinars on how to control your life, how to be more manly, how to pick up women etc. etc. There's a lot of crossover between them.

The guy in the vid I quoted is one who also runs a company that resells insurance through multiple levels in what is for legal purposes totally not a pyramid scheme.

Hahaha that gave me a good laugh "Totally not a pyramid Scheme." 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You don't think he's an arsehole for his behavior towards staff?

Advertisement