Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would recommend reading up on why it actually is that more men cycle and why more women and girls do not. I think it might be good if you informed yourself better.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

What percentage is this vast vast majority? I assume you have figures to hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lads stop engaging this troll

My own eyes mostly,see ten cyclists invariably all will be male,maybe one out of ten female.

I could record usage of any cycle lane near me which will bear out what I am saying but you can surely use your own eyes.

Go on any discussion as here for example, all male contributors bar a handful of females.

Look at any twitter post about cycling, invariably men posting, specifically the ones showing videos they have recorded, invariably recorded and put online by men.

Dont like a challenge to your narrative,engage in childish name calling, how very mature of you.

And "Lads" laughing out loud, no opinion welcome unless you are one of the lads.

• Advertisement

So that's a no then, thought so. CSO stats would contradict your "own eyes"

As a female cyclist, with my eyes, there are plenty of women cycling. Loads in particular on safe segregated routes that I use.

Also Twitter is a subset of the real world, not everyone is on it nor do they want to engage with people who have a slim grasp of facts and data. More power to those that do, they have more patience than I would.

well, thats good for you.

I presume you could ask the CSO to confirm the figures for you too.

I dont set much store by CSO figures to be honest, I know someone who worked as a census enumerator and he said up to fifteen non nationals were living in houses he called too and no one would answer the door.

So how we can correctly count numbers living here is difficult never mind counting people on bikes.

Cycling is very male dominated, I dont think anyone realistically would argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not quite as nasty as making up stories about dead children

And this reply is exactly why a lot of people don't engage. When it's pointed out that your assertion is incorrect, you just go back to a reworded reply with the same narrative. You don't want to hear anything different to your own view of cycling.

Please do not repeat this again, its the lowest of the low, I have never made up stories about any dead children, you are repulsive.

• Advertisement

You pointed out your experience of cycling is different to mine and you said the CSO would back up your assertion that lots of women cycle.

I said I dont set much store by CSO statistics based on a renumerators experience.

In my experience as a regular cyclist I maintain the vast majority of cyclists are male.

About one in ten is female if that.

My partner's a woman, and she cyclist to work, and will be availing of this new route when we move home next year as we'll be living right along it. I noticed way more female cyclists in Dublin during covid of all ages, hope it's still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

If you actually speak to other demographics, they won't mention male cyclists behaviour as reason for not cycling. They'll mention unsafe cycling infrastructure, and dangerous drivers.

He was the most vocally outspoken against improvements to the area. It was nasty of him to try and punish the locals for his own entitled needs, then disappear from the area altogether. Thankfully people such as him weren't listened to. There's other business owners in the area who can't wait for the improvements, even though they know the disruption won't be great in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

He's a cyclist. The one thing we have learned is that "they are never wrong". He used the same comment recently on someone else, it might even have been me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

All this off topic nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My partner is afraid to cycle a lot of places, and she can't wait for the new route, as it'll be segregated for much of her journey to work. She currently drives, but I'm trying to get her using the car a lot less.

Just seems strange how none of these deaths have been reported in the public domain, after a Coroners Inquest

Do you seriously think I am going to supply names of dead neighbours and friends to you, I mean, would you please cop onto yourself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For the record, I believe you. I just think you're rather unfortunate to have lost so many neighbours and friends to road traffic collisions and yet you seem to direct your road safety related-anger towards vulnerable road users but we all deal with grief differently.

• Advertisement

Seems like you’re at the centre of some weird Bermuda Triangle of road deaths among your neighbours and friends. For most of us, direct knowledge of any one such death would be very unusual, but you seem to be closely connected to large numbers of such deaths.

I’m not asking you to supply any names, as you well know. I’m just pointing out that it would give your claim some credibility if you could point to some of the press reports that would be inevitable when such deaths are taken through the Inquest process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ignore him FFS

Stop feeding the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Oh great. The guy who is derailing the other cycling thread has come in here and is now derailing this one too. That's just great.

There is an 'ignore' function available folks, it's very useful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Everbody -- back on topic and stop the sniping, please.

Re CSO figures are fairly solid. If anything the CSO Census underestimates the number of woman cycling in some parts of Dublin as the figure if for the whole city. If you want to dismiss CSO data, you'll need to do better than "my mate said something unrelated once".

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS COMMENT.

-- Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I live along North Strand and contacted the councillors last week about the total lack of enforecment on the route. Only two vague responses so far which is fairly frustrating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume those bollards are for the new cycle lane that is currently being built along Griffith Avenue from the entrance to Charlemont to the Malahide Road.

You might have noticed that they are currently removing the curbing that juts out into the road in front of the schools, they are doing that to make space for the cycle lane. The plans are up on the DCC website if you are interested.

I believe the bollards are temporary and will be replaced by a concrete kerbing, as has been done on the rest of Griffith Avenue down towards the Swords Road and beyond (which BTW isn't complete yet either).

My understanding is that they put the bollards in first to see how the cycle lane is working, if it requires any adjustments, such as blocking entrances to peoples homes, etc. They are easy to move and change. Once they are satisfied with it, the replace it with the better looking permanent solution of concrete kerbing, planters, etc.

I will say, that while I'm happy they are putting a dedicated cycle lane in, I do think it is only an ok effort, I think they could have done a far better job of it, without too much extra effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I cycle on that bike lane regularly, it’s awful. Those concrete bollards are actually quite dangerous and hard to see in the dark evenings with all the leaves that Griffith Ave gets. You still have bus stops and other lanes crossing as well as all the driveways which has not changed for them to be aware of the bike lane.

I’ve had a car door swing open into the lane from a parking space, presumably they didn’t realise there was a lane inside the parked car. The leaves built up to an unsafe level and looks like they can’t easily get in to clear them in place.

A proper segregated bike lane along one whole side of the road was needed similar to the one along the grand canal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"A proper segregated bike lane along one whole side of the road was needed similar to the one along the grand canal."

Yep, I agree completely. That is why I said it is "only ok".

It is certainly better then what was there before, just a line painted on the ground, which everyone ignored and just parked their car in. However it really wouldn't have been much more difficult to build a proper, wider, two way segregated cycle lane on one side of the road.

"You still have bus stops and other lanes crossing as well as all the driveways which has not changed for them to be aware of the bike lane."

Agreed on the bus stop, the driveways are pretty much unavoidable, even if you had a two way cycle lane, the drive way entrances would still have been necessary unfortunately. Though if you had a two way cycle lane, it might be more obvious and protected.

"The leaves built up to an unsafe level and looks like they can’t easily get in to clear them in place."

I don't know if true, they claim they can clear the leaves with the concrete kerb, but not the bollards. I guess a street cleaner machine can get up over the kerbing.

BTW you should have seen the craziness of what they were initially proposing for in front of the schools, putting the car parking on the inside of the bike lane! At least they changed their mind on that and are now putting the bike lane next to the footpath and the parking on the outside.

Overall I feel like I'd give it a C-, better then the F that was there before, but far from an A it could easily have been. Definitely a missed opportunity.

• Advertisement

I know it's a small issue, but I noticed up at Griffith Ave. extension, that the kerbing on one side of the road is rounded, and the other side is squared.

Would have been nice to have a bit of consistency there.

Advertisement