Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't know, does it have to go back to the original spec or some red tape? I asked one of the workers and he just said "none of our business were just told to do it"

It's bad enough that a perfectly good house is lying idle 18 months with the lack of property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

There was controversy recently over an underspend in housing, maybe this is the solution.

Gutting an otherwise perfect house seems common practice when it moves to social housing or change of tennant. One would wonder are those benefitting from this work politically linked.

Gangsters!

Please, someone, correct me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The first paragraph:

During the pandemic, housing in Dublin moved from being “seriously” unaffordable to “severely” unaffordable, according to US think tank Demographia.

Hmm. I wonder how many pandemics in history managed to worsen a shortage of housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭quokula

“51st least affordable of 92 cities surveyed”

Doesn’t that make it the 41st most affordable? Or more affordable than average?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

You always have to read between the lines with any of these reports. I find it hilarious the "we are overvalued but we arent as overvalued as other European Countries" so all is good.

As said, I have been around the block...majority of mainstream media will only predict falling prices when prices have already fallen 20 percent 😂

They got it right at the end of the report when they said the recent rises have been caused by low interest rates. The reverse will be true but its not instant. When people realize this and sentiment shift, falls will be aggressive.

The everything bubble that is currently unwinding

Monthly Repayments on an average US home for a ftb moved from 1000 to 2000 dollars this year alone

Affordability is worse than the 06/08 peak

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Very difficult to predict. Typically it comes down to how much meddling is done.

But with Central banks handicapped by rising inflation this time around, I expect rates to remain high and property price drops to be significant.

CSO forecasts an increase in population of over 40% by 2050, with substantial immigration. We’re looking at a (presumably united) Ireland with a population of perhaps 10 million. And there is literally no plan for housing nor infrastructure that looks to that. We just tinker around the edges in every electoral cycle.

there is nothing I can see to suggest that it is not going to get much much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree, house prices will drop, they already start dropping. So many sale agreed at the moment who are coming back on the market after being sale agreed for 5 months. This time around, they don't have so many people at the viewing and hardly a bid. We will see a big change by March.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They will be extinct this time next year :)

A landlord might as well just hand the deeds of their property over to the tenant at this point.

Landlords cant increase their rents so cant pay for the upkeep of a rental property.

So they are getting out, for fear of being stuck again like they have been the last few years and are for the next few months.

People living in rent locked at low rates wont move so there is no turnover and no vacancies whatsoever on low rent properties.

REITS and councils are buying up everything built or for sale.

What could possibly be in there to attract a normal landlord to stay in. Absolutely nothing.

That's predicated on the assumption that the globalist model will continue. We're already seeing quite a bit of push-back against mass immigration, and there's no telling where that will go in the years to come. If we were back in 2015 or so, I'd have no problem believing that the population would continue to balloon, but with declining living standards, high inflation, dwindling resources and an increasingly polarised political situation, I think that an inflection point may well arrive in the coming years.

You’re right about that dynamic. And that pushback will be in a large part because of declining living standards and the issues we’re talking about on this thread, as they get worse. Unfortunately I think that any pushback will be overwhelmed by migration of huge numbers driven by climate change and regional instability. And we need to plan for it

I'm sure that there are plans on how a select group of people people can profit immensely from the coming tide of human misery, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭byrne249

They gut every single house they buy. That is according to the council chap who scouted out my house before I sold it to them. They 'didn't care what condition it was in because it was going to be gutted', is a direct quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is nearly 100k coming in to the country this year, most will be housed by the State.

The housing crisis, rental crisis is only beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Hopefully some of these foreigners coming in run for positions in the Dublin councils and we can finally get some high rise buildings like they have in modern countries like Nigeria and Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You espouse a free market no tax philosophy where only the rich are entitled to anything and anyone suggesting otherwise should get lost.

That's not the country that people generally seem to want and hence why many are expressing discontent and changing their voting preference.

You're entitled to express those type of views but people are also entitled in a democracy to elect people that do things differently than you want. Sadly, all the parties are crap but nevertheless we can see a move to sinn Fein happenings because voters reject the notion that they should have to move to England to have housing because they chose to be a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I espouse no such thing, and people can vote for/elect whomever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Same happened to someone I know who sold their house in Glasnevin. The council bought it and gutted it. Thing is the house had the best of everything in it and very good finish as the family are all trades. Reasoning for gutting was that it might be seen as unfair if a new council tenant got a better spec house than a tenant in another house. All of their stock need to be of a similar (probably basic) standard....crazy logic...but there ya go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

not very funny and shows what a selfish person you are. I can only assume you were lucky enough not to loose anyone from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They also gut there own properties when reletting. The main reason is a public liability fear. If they left older non standard fitting in place and someone gets hurt then it costs them. At this stage they bring houses they relet up to Ber rating ''B'' at least as far as I know.

But it's a crazy waste of money when you see all the boarder up council houses. However the reason for this is often they are in an anti social area and they do not want to put tenant's in there until they can clean the area out. However this is crazy as it only spreads the rot elsewhere

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I think that's just how Irish people are; inherently selfish. Certainly, to link it to housing, anyone satisfied with house prices and rents is incredibly selfish given the utter devastation it is causing the country on a multi-generational level, far worse than what COVID did.

But if it's easier for you to satisfy yourself with your position by personally attacking the person with an opposing view, that speaks volumes for the credibility of your position on the state of the Irish housing market.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I am generally a positive person and one who doesn't like to be dramatic about things. However I honestly think this housing situation is getting worse by the week and house prices are only going one way which is up.

People love to spout about the fact that there is more to housing than supply and demand. This is true but in simple terms how can it change if there is no supply and the said supply is not increasing.

I'm not a homeowner but in the process of it and have no itchy feet whatsoever with how things are going at the minute. This yarn about a sudden bang is nonsense, prices may well come down in a couple of years but it could get worse before it gets better.

It's a terribly sad situation for so many people. It's easy blame politicians but how is there not experts/advisors in the government that could have seen from data that this was coming down the line ten years ago?

The world is gone mad, common sense went out the window years ago and greed replaced it. Rant over.

Oíche maith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I’m not personally attacking you…I lost people I loved and think your comment is totally out of order and disgusting!!

I suspect it is more jimmy’s lack of understanding rather than nastiness. Strange that people have a problem with being told to look to other markets if they can’t afford to live where they want, but think it’s ok to let people suffer and die from Covid, so that elderly (empty nesters) die and free up some houses.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I have no problem telling people to look to other markets, in fact I would actively recommend people getting away from Ireland right now if you are renting as the government are trying to shaft you and use you to pay high rents and prop up the property market that badly wants to crash. For homeowners, I'd say to consider leaving now while you can, as SF and friends will be taking charge just when the economy is in the throes of a big decline in 2024 (following the slowdown of 2023 that won't be pretty).

It was a tongue in cheek response to the person who actually made the link between COVID and old people dying to free up houses in any event. But in reality I would be in favour, not in encouraging older people to stop fighting the grim reaper, but instead to downsize into more sustainable, suitable housing communities. It doesn't have to be such a big deal but, for example, setting up in a local area a gated estate of townhouses for older people in the area to consider moving to, with security, services, activities, transport on their doorstep, economies of scale with healthcare etc is really what we need to be doing. Given the cash the government has, I'm sure a scheme can be introduced for the OAPs that move here to be looked after for life if they can't pay or want to leave some inheritance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The same callousness behind the opinion that essential workers like nurses, schoolteachers, gardai who cant afford to live anywhere near the capital can just go lump it and move somewhere else, is present in the idea that more death is good for prices. A total disregard for society as a whole, instead seeing housing purely as a speculative market commodity.

It really isn’t, feeling that Covid should have been let rip and an opportunity was missed to let elderly people die to free up housing isn’t even in the same galaxy as thinking people should look to other markets if they can’t afford to live where they want. Arguing it is, means you join Jimmy in wanting people to die, so you can buy a house. Nice.

• Advertisement

There has been a narrative around here for some time that inflation is the root cause of prices going to the sky recently. This podcast gives us a gentle reminder that that inflation is homegrown through planning, lobbying and poor standards and the output is developments that are not fit for purpose and very few would pay for

Most raw materials are below there prices before the war started. The price increases are a result of white collar capture and grab

Advertisement